Thread: [RESOLVED] Commands in chat

Resolved [RESOLVED] Commands in chat

Hello , I have a chat program based on ftp . I want to make commands , I mean when someone type for example /help than it will show commands that he can type ,but it will show to him only . How can I make it?

Re: Commands in chat

Welcome to VBForums

When the user enters text, check if it matches one of your commands... if it does then act on it appropriately, otherwise send the text as normal.

How you act on the commands will obviously vary, but in terms of the /help you would just show the information you want to (in whatever way you want).

Give it a try, and if you want more detailed help then show us the relevant code (not the entire project) and let us know what issue(s) you are having at that point (including error messages if apt).

Thanks , in my chat I have a timer that has this code :

Code:
        Private Sub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Yenileyici.Tick
            Try
                Dim client As New Net.WebClient
                client.Credentials = New Net.NetworkCredential("FTP USERNAME", "FTP PASSWORD")
                TextBox2.Text = client.DownloadString("ftp://username@ftphost/chat.txt")
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(Err.Description)
            End Try
        End Sub
    And this timer gets the chat.txt text from ftp server and show it in TextBox2.Text .

I have a send button and I add some code like this :
    Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim username As String
            username = TextBox1.Text
            Dim time As Date = TimeOfDay
            Dim symbol As String
            symbol = Label4.Text
            Try
                client.UploadString("ftp://username@ftphost/chat.txt", TextBox2.Text & time & symbol & "* " & username & " " & " : " & " " & RichTextBox2.Text + vbNewLine)
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(Err.Description)
            End Try
            RichTextBox2.Text = ""

If RichTextBox2.Text = "/help" Then
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text + vbNewLine & "/about - about program" + vbNewLine & "/online - online list"
            ElseIf RichTextBox2.Text = "/espiri" Then
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text + vbNewLine & "It's a test"
            End If
        End Sub
    But the timer renew textbox2 text . How can I make sure that the commands will appear in Textbox2 but only in users chat??
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Feb 3rd, 2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added Code tags

The checks you have at the end of Button1_Click need to be moved to the start of it, and the rest of the code needs to be put into an Else block at the end of the checks.

The issues with the textbox being cleared by the timer are more awkward, but I'm afraid it's getting late here and I don't have time at the moment... hopefully I'll post again tomorrow.

First things first , thanks . I made it /help works I replaced /help code with message sending code :

Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text + vbNewLine + "-----*-----" + vbNewLine + "/about - about program" + vbNewLine + "/online - online list" + vbNewLine
            ElseIf RichTextBox2.Text = "/about" Then
                RichTextBox2.Text = ""
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text + vbNewLine + "Test" + vbNewLine
            End If

Dim username As String
            username = TextBox1.Text
            Dim symbol As String
            symbol = Label4.Text
            Try
                client.UploadString("ftp://username@ftphost/chat.txt", TextBox2.Text & time & symbol & "* " & username & " " & " : " & " " & RichTextBox2.Text + vbNewLine)
            Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(Err.Description)
            End Try
            RichTextBox2.Text = ""
        End Sub
    It works ,but everyone can see it , the application sends message to ftp server . How can I make that it will show to person only ?
    Last edited by LegacyDev; Feb 4th, 2018 at 03:45 PM.

As I mentioned in my previous post (and hinted at in my earlier post): "the rest of the code needs to be put into an Else block at the end of the checks."

So your code should be like this:
    Code:
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text + vbNewLine + "-----*-----" + vbNewLine + "/about - about program" + vbNewLine + "/online - online list" + vbNewLine
            ElseIf RichTextBox2.Text = "/about" Then
                RichTextBox2.Text = ""
                TextBox2.Text = TextBox2.Text + vbNewLine + "Test" + vbNewLine
            Else

Dim username As String
                username = TextBox1.Text
                Dim symbol As String
                symbol = Label4.Text
                Try
                Catch ex As Exception
                    MsgBox(Err.Description)
                End Try
            End If
            RichTextBox2.Text = ""
        End Sub

I think I'm tired of you , but there is one more thing . Every thing is ok ,but when you type /help and then press the button it's shows the message and then it's disappear . I think that because of timer (I post its code on previous posts) , but is there a way to make that it won't disappear.

Well , I solved problem . I just created new button that's shows a new form which contains command prompt . There is another question for it I want to make a command /music ,but I want to when person enters /music + music name it will play music(There is space between /music and music name and music name is only word.) . Please help me with code!. You can take a MUSICNAME as example for music .

The String class has various methods you can use, including .StartsWith to check if the start of the string matches something you specify, eg:
    Code:
    If RichTextBox2.Text.StartsWith("/music ") Then
    You can use .SubString() to find the text after the space.