Thread: Just a question

Just a question

I wanna make a vb project which is like network to make connection between files. I wanna make it to open files like PowerPoint , DOC files, pictures, videos, and other VB projects. Is it possible to make a program like that?

Re: Just a question

For future reference, there's no such thing as "just a question". All questions are about something and the title of the thread is supposed to summarise that subject. Your title is as much use as no title at all and if everyone failed to provide a useful title then we'd have to open every single thread and read the question before even knowing whether we could possibly help.

As for the question itself, what does "like a network to make connections between files" actually mean? You say that you want your app to open files of various types but what does that have to do with making connections? What does it even mean to open those files? Are you expecting your app to be able to display PowerPoint presentations, Word documents and other arbitrary file types just like their native applications do without putting in serious time to develop the functionality to do so? I'm really not sure what you are trying to achieve. Can you please provide a FULL and CLEAR explanation?

The answer is yes.

I kind of think the answer is No, because I get about the same interpretation that JMC does. Creating an app that opens a single type of file that you didn't create is hard enough, making one that opens a variety of file types is going to be far more difficult, and creating something that opens ANY type of file is impossible in any reasonable way.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I kind of think the answer is No, because I get about the same interpretation that JMC does. Creating an app that opens a single type of file that you didn't create is hard enough, making one that opens a variety of file types is going to be far more difficult, and creating something that opens ANY type of file is impossible in any reasonable way.
    Using a Process.Start and letting the file\program open based on the extension might cover a lot of files like PDF, DOC. XLXS, etc. It would be a start.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Sorry for the title, I wanna this program to load these types of files, for example when I click on button_1, it loads casper.doc, and when I click on button_2, it loads casper.ppt. I don't want it to display these files in the Interface. But the only thing that I need, I wanna put this program in CD or Flash, does it work?
    Hope you understood.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by casper.mta View Post
    Sorry for the title, I wanna this program to load these types of files, for example when I click on button_1, it loads casper.doc, and when I click on button_2, it loads casper.ppt. I don't want it to display these files in the Interface. But the only thing that I need, I wanna put this program in CD or Flash, does it work?
    Hope you understood.
    This is confusing, you want to load but not display .doc file. I think maybe there's a language problem here.

What do you mean by "Load a File"?
    Open it
    Copy it
    Read it
    Or something else

Are you just wanting to open the file using its native application (assuming that the application is installed)?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    This is confusing, you want to load but not display .doc file. I think maybe there's a language problem here.

What do you mean by "Load a File"?
    Open it
    Copy it
    Read it
    Or something else
    Open it, surely. I think it's the easier thing, cuz displaying is so hard and I don't know its code

The link below may be of use for opening files in their native applications:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...app&highlight=

So basically, you want your app to do nothing more than would happen if you were to double-click a file in Windows Explorer, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    So basically, you want your app to do nothing more than would happen if you were to double-click a file in Windows Explorer, correct?
    Yeah, that's it

In that case, Process.Start is what you want. It is basically the equivalent of double-clicking a file in Windows Explorer. There are a few subtleties that you should understand though, so you should read the documentation for the method itself and the ProcessStartInfo class.