Thread: VB6 - NAT Helper

Frenzied Member

VB6 - NAT Helper

Attached is an application called ExtIP. The original intent was to simply recover the External IP address used by a NAT router, but it ended up being much more. In order to use this program, your router must support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), which most home routers do. However, not all routers support all functions, as evidenced by the descriptions below. Our own router does not support querying of the Mapping Collection, so some of the functions have not been fully tested.

If your router does not support UPnP, or it has not been turned on, executing any of the functions will produce a message stating "UPnPNAT not Found!".

If you know the external port number of an existing mapping, you can enter that number and recover the External IP address used on the WAN (Wide Area Network), as well as the Internal IP address and the Internal port. The older "GetIpAddrTable" is used to recover the Internal IP address, and uses the last address in the table. If you have more than one active Network Interface, it could produce a wrong result. It will also not produce a correct External IP address if you are using a double NAT configuration (not recommended). (tested)

If you would like to find out the External IP address and you do not know the port number used, you can leave the port number blank, and the program will scroll through the mapping collection and return the first one it finds. (not tested)

Clicking on the Get Ports button will scroll through the port mapping collection and add the External ports to the list box. Clicking on one of them will add it to the External Port box. (not tested)

You can also add a port mapping by entering an External Port number and clicking on the "Add Port Map" button. Normally the Internal Port number matches the External Port, and it will default to that, or you can add a different number. If the port mapping already exists, it will error out. (tested)

You should also be able to delete a port mapping, but our router does not support that function. (not tested)

This program does not support IPv6, because IPv6 does not require the use of NAT.

J.A. Coutts

Updated: Mar. 5, 2018 - See later post for details
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by couttsj; Mar 5th, 2018 at 05:55 PM.

Addicted Member

Re: VB6 - NAT Helper

Interesting! I hadn't heard of the NATUPnP library before, but unfortunately it didn't work on my router even though uPnP's enabled. Do you know if this is using NAT-PMP to do what it's doing? If so I know mine doesn't have it. There was a time in my commercial app where I wanted to get the external IP for each computer on the network. I researched various methods like NAT-PMP, tracerouting, etc. and ended up having to revert to just visiting one of those "what's my IP" sites and pulling the IP from there. First I used a list of those sites in case one was down, but ended up getting my own domain/site that just spit out the external IP back to the user. I do wish there was a better way to get the external IP that works everywhere without needing to contact a website.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDude View Post
    Interesting! I hadn't heard of the NATUPnP library before, but unfortunately it didn't work on my router even though uPnP's enabled. Do you know if this is using NAT-PMP to do what it's doing? If so I know mine doesn't have it. There was a time in my commercial app where I wanted to get the external IP for each computer on the network. I researched various methods like NAT-PMP, tracerouting, etc. and ended up having to revert to just visiting one of those "what's my IP" sites and pulling the IP from there. First I used a list of those sites in case one was down, but ended up getting my own domain/site that just spit out the external IP back to the user. I do wish there was a better way to get the external IP that works everywhere without needing to contact a website.
    You could always use my Port Tester:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...B6-Port-Tester
    It basically does the same thing as a Web page without all the bells and whistles. It does however require the server to be outside of your network.

J.A. Coutts

Addicted Member

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks!

PowerPoster

I posted sample code for this in 2011, and before that in 2009. This is well established technology now.

Easy UPnP NAT Traversal

I'm not sure why this needed another demo.

NAT-PMP seems to be some Apple technology. Do any other routers besides those from Apple and its 3rd party ecosystem even support that protocol?

Addicted Member

Don't you just hate it when that happens dilettante? I will make sure to search the forums hard before ever posting a project.

So if it's not NAT-PMP and really is just uPnP, I'm not sure why I can't get either app working. I'm really interested in getting the external IP more than anything, without having to contact an outside website and UPnP is enabled. I'm using a modern ASUS router with the Merlin firmware. UPnP is definitely enabled as I've tested it using a little UPnP discovery sample I been working on. I get back all kinds of info from it using that. I have to be missing something. Maybe there's another option in the router related to this I don't have enabled?

PowerPoster

When I click the button "Get Ports", I get the following error:

Run-time error '-2147220984 (80040208)':

Method 'Item' of object 'IStaticPortMappingCollection' failed

Error code line:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdPorts_Click()
        Dim PortMap As NATUPNPLib.IStaticPortMapping
        Dim Protocol As String
        Dim Port As Long
        Protocol = txtProtocol.Text
        If Protocol <> "TCP" Or Protocol <> "UDP" Then Protocol = "TCP"
        'Check to make sure NAT UPnP is active
        If Mappings Is Nothing Then
             MsgBox "UPnPNAT not Found!", vbExclamation
             Exit Sub
        End If
        'Find number of mappings
        If Mappings.Count > 0 Then
            For Each PortMap In Mappings
                Port = Mappings(PortMap.InternalPort, Protocol).InternalPort
                lstPorts.AddItem CStr(Port)
            Next
        Else
            MsgBox "No mappings found!" & vbCrLf & "Router may not supply these.", vbExclamation
        End If
    End Sub

Frenzied Member

ExtIP was simplified by removing one of the command buttons. The "Map Port" button now serves the function of both "Get IP" and "Add Port Map". This was accomplished by intercepting the Error 0x800700AA, which basically says that the mapping already exists, and displaying the existing port map.

J.A. Coutts