Thread: How do I start asp app online

Addicted Member

How do I start asp app online

Hello,

I am new to ASP.NET and I have a very basic question. I searched online for this but with no luck.
    I am using Visual Studio 2010. I am good at visual basic so I thought ASP.NET for a small application I have on a website, should work.

So, when I create a new ASP application, I get a form with some controls on it. It's just the default app that Visual Studio has. I hit run and everything works great in my browser. But now, I publish the project and I upload it on my server.

My host is ASP 4.0 compatible. Now, when I enter my address http://mecanotech.forithost.com/Default.aspx I get some errors regarding some settings in web.config.
    My question is: is this the right way for starting the application? With a direct link? Or is there anything that I am missing?

Thx.

Re: How do I start asp app online

ASP.NET apps are basically web sites. You configure them in IIS is basically the same way as other web sites. You need ASP.NET installed to compile and execute the code on the fly and generate the HTML that gets served to the browser. In short, what you are doing is basically correct.

I just followed your link and you are reading that page wrong. It says nothing about errors in web.config. What it says is that an exception was thrown in your VB/C# code but your config settings don't allow the details of that exception to be displayed to the user. That's generally appropriate but if you're the end user trying to diagnose the issue in a remote browser then it needs to be changed. That error page tells you how to make that change.

The alternative is to either view the site on a browser on the web server, which is not possible if you don't have access to it, or to include logging in your app so you can access error information in a way other than via a remote browser.

Just note also that ASP is a thing and ASP.NET is a different thing, so if you are referring to ASP.NET then you shouldn't say ASP. People will often make the correct assumption but if you use the correct name then no assumptions are required.

Addicted Member

Ok. Thx for the information. Very useful as always. Seems I have to dig some more. Anyway, I thought that, being a default example application in VB, it should already work as is. Seems not.