Thread: [RESOLVED] opening Jpg or any picture file in windows photo viewer from within my app

Resolved [RESOLVED] opening Jpg or any picture file in windows photo viewer from within my app

Hi All
    I am developing an app that can list a lot of folders in my hard drive (each folder contains a picture file) and I want my app can open the picture in folders by windows photo viewer when I click the folder name in combobox.
    I tried the code below ,but this just open the windows explore with picture file in it that it is not focused.

Code:
    Private Sub C_KeyPress(sender As Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles C.KeyPress

Select Case e.KeyChar
                Case Chr(Keys.Enter)
                    Process.Start("j:\bimaran\" & C.SelectedItem)
            End Select
        End Sub
    that is a dead end for me so any help appreciated.
    thanks
    bayat

Re: opening Jpg or any picture file in windows photo viewer from within my app

PowerPoster

Think this through. You say your ComboBox contains folder names. So C.SelectedItem will return a folder name. So

Code:
    "j:\bimaran\" & C.SelectedItem
    will contain a path to a folder, such as "j:\bimaran\OneOfYourFolderNames"

You are then passing that path to Process.Start. The result you describe of Windows Explorer opening that folder is exactly what I would expect to happen. You aren't referencing Windows Photo Viewer, or an image file name.

Now, the links jdc2000 posted are absolutely relevant to your question. The fact that you dismissed them is troubling, since it suggests that you might not have fully thought through the specifics of what you are trying to accomplish (hint: Step 1 is to write code that will simply open Windows Photo Viewer. Step 2 is to modify that code to pass the full path, including filename, of the image that you want opened in Windows Photo Viewer) In any event, I'm unable to assist further with this, so good luck.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Jan 31st, 2018 at 01:00 PM.

Dim strCommand As String

strCommand = "rundll32" & Chr$(34) & "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll " & Chr$(34) & Chr$(34) & "j:\bimaran\" & C.SelectedItem & Chr$(34)

Process.Start(strCommand)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Dim strCommand As String

strCommand = "rundll32" & Chr$(34) & "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll " & Chr$(34) & Chr$(34) & "j:\bimaran\" & C.SelectedItem & Chr$(34)

Process.Start(strCommand)
    thank you for your code , each folder has a picture file with a different name , can I use ? or * to address each picture file I want to open with rundll32 or not. how?

Re: [RESOLVED] opening Jpg or any picture file in windows photo viewer from within my

You would need to get the full file name to open it. This can be done using the Dir statement. See the link below for an idea on how to use it.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-just-partname

Re: [RESOLVED] opening Jpg or any picture file in windows photo viewer from within my

Thanks again

Surely there is a more .Net-ish way to do that instead of using Dir
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer

Quote Originally Posted by Arve K. View Post
    Surely there is a more .Net-ish way to do that instead of using Dir
    Which one do you mean?