Thread: [RESOLVED] Program freezes when getting to meassagebox

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Program freezes when getting to meassagebox

Good day,

I have some code in a button click event and after the code i want the messagebox to show, but the program freezes see below code
    Code:
     Private Sub btnSave_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles btnSave.Click

Dim sum As Decimal
            Try
                For Each r As DataGridViewRow In Me.RestHours2DataGridView.Rows
                    If r.Cells IsNot DBNull.Value Then
                        sum = (r.Cells(1).Value + r.Cells(2).Value + r.Cells(3).Value + r.Cells(4).Value + r.Cells(5).Value _
                            + r.Cells(6).Value + r.Cells(7).Value + r.Cells(8).Value + r.Cells(9).Value + r.Cells(10).Value _
                            + r.Cells(11).Value + r.Cells(12).Value + r.Cells(13).Value + r.Cells(14).Value + r.Cells(15).Value _
                            + r.Cells(16).Value + r.Cells(17).Value + r.Cells(18).Value + r.Cells(19).Value + r.Cells(20).Value _
                            + r.Cells(21).Value + r.Cells(22).Value + r.Cells(23).Value + r.Cells(24).Value + r.Cells(25).Value _
                            + r.Cells(26).Value + r.Cells(27).Value + r.Cells(28).Value + r.Cells(29).Value + r.Cells(30).Value _
                            + r.Cells(31).Value + r.Cells(32).Value + r.Cells(33).Value + r.Cells(34).Value + r.Cells(35).Value _
                            + r.Cells(36).Value + r.Cells(37).Value + r.Cells(38).Value + r.Cells(39).Value + r.Cells(40).Value _
                            + r.Cells(41).Value + r.Cells(42).Value + r.Cells(43).Value + r.Cells(44).Value + r.Cells(45).Value _
                            + r.Cells(46).Value + r.Cells(47).Value + r.Cells(48).Value) / -2
                        r.Cells(51).Value = sum
                    End If

Next

For Each row As DataGridViewRow In Me.RestHours2DataGridView.Rows

Me.RestHours2TableAdapter.SaveQuery(row.Cells(55).Value, row.Cells(0).Value, row.Cells(1).Value, row.Cells(2).Value,
         row.Cells(3).Value, row.Cells(4).Value, row.Cells(5).Value, row.Cells(6).Value, row.Cells(7).Value, row.Cells(8).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(9).Value, row.Cells(10).Value, row.Cells(11).Value, row.Cells(12).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(13).Value, row.Cells(14).Value, row.Cells(15).Value, row.Cells(16).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(17).Value, row.Cells(18).Value, row.Cells(19).Value, row.Cells(20).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(21).Value, row.Cells(22).Value, row.Cells(23).Value, row.Cells(24).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(25).Value, row.Cells(26).Value, row.Cells(27).Value, row.Cells(28).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(29).Value, row.Cells(30).Value, row.Cells(31).Value, row.Cells(32).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(33).Value, row.Cells(34).Value, row.Cells(35).Value, row.Cells(36).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(37).Value, row.Cells(38).Value, row.Cells(39).Value, row.Cells(40).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(41).Value, row.Cells(42).Value, row.Cells(43).Value, row.Cells(44).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(45).Value, row.Cells(46).Value, row.Cells(47).Value, row.Cells(48).Value,
                                                         row.Cells(52).Value, row.Cells(49).Value, row.Cells(50).Value, row.Cells(51).Value,
                                                         ComboBox1.Text, ComboBox2.Text, row.Cells(56).Value)
                Next

Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
            End Try
            MessageBox.Show("Records saved.")
        End Sub
    I have some other code in a click event that does not freeze with the click event and with a messagebox.show
    Code:
    Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            ComboBox1.Text = TextBox2.Text
            ComboBox2.Text=TextBox3.text
            For Each row As DataGridViewRow In RestHours2DataGridView.Rows
                Me.RestHours2TableAdapter.InsertQuery(row.Cells(55).Value, row.Cells(0).Value, row.Cells(1).Value, row.Cells(2).Value,
     row.Cells(3).Value, row.Cells(4).Value, row.Cells(5).Value, row.Cells(6).Value, row.Cells(7).Value, row.Cells(8).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(9).Value, row.Cells(10).Value, row.Cells(11).Value, row.Cells(12).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(13).Value, row.Cells(14).Value, row.Cells(15).Value, row.Cells(16).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(17).Value, row.Cells(18).Value, row.Cells(19).Value, row.Cells(20).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(21).Value, row.Cells(22).Value, row.Cells(23).Value, row.Cells(24).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(25).Value, row.Cells(26).Value, row.Cells(27).Value, row.Cells(28).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(29).Value, row.Cells(30).Value, row.Cells(31).Value, row.Cells(32).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(33).Value, row.Cells(34).Value, row.Cells(35).Value, row.Cells(36).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(37).Value, row.Cells(38).Value, row.Cells(39).Value, row.Cells(40).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(41).Value, row.Cells(42).Value, row.Cells(43).Value, row.Cells(44).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(45).Value, row.Cells(46).Value, row.Cells(47).Value, row.Cells(48).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(52).Value, row.Cells(49).Value, row.Cells(50).Value, row.Cells(51).Value,
                                                     row.Cells(53).Value, row.Cells(54).Value)
            Next

MessageBox.Show("Records created")
        End Sub
    I have tried the messagebox.show also in the update event from the tableadapter and also there it freezes the program.

Also the tables gets updated so nothing wrong there it is just as it reaches the messagebox.show that it gets stuck

Re: Program freezes when getting to meassagebox

Have you debugged the code? If not, do that. If you have where exactly does it freeze? Are you saying, without actually saying, that the MessageBox.Show call is executed but never returns?

Addicted Member

Yes i did the debugging, also when i remove the messagebox(es).show it does everything what has been coded and the program does not freeze

Addicted Member

When i replace the messagebox.show to ME.close it closes the program so why does it not show the messagebox

Does putting the messagebox in a finally block make any difference?
    Arve K.

Please mark your thread as resolved and add reputation to those who helped you solve your problem
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional programmer

Addicted Member

No it does not also, i see now that when i create a mistake the catch messagebox also does not show

Addicted Member

Allright i found the problem the mistake is/was that the messagebox was behind the form when i pushed ALT it was showing.
    I have resolved it by this peace of code in the messagebox section:
    Code:
     MessageBox.Show("Records saved.", "Info",
                    MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information,
                    MessageBoxDefaultButton.Button1,
                    MessageBoxOptions.DefaultDesktopOnly)
    But still it is strange this happens for some messageboxes and others working fine

Quote Originally Posted by zubenubie View Post
    But still it is strange this happens for some messageboxes and others working fine
    I've seen that happen with code executed on secondary threads but not on the UI thread. I wonder whether it has something to do with the fact that you're doing a lot of work there on the UI thread first. How long does it actually take for the message box to show? I have to wonder why you are looping over the rows of the grid and saving one record at a time instead of just making one call to Update and saving the changes directly from a DataTable.

Addicted Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Program freezes when getting to meassagebox

The database table holds various months and years from various people and when i do the UpdateAll it will update all the records/rows with that month and year which are loaded in the datagridview.
    If it can be made more efficient i really would like to know. If i have around 1500 rows in the databasetable it takes about a second or less for the messagebox to show.
    The table will hold about max 12000 records as the records have to bekept for 5 years.

Have you thought about not updating 12000 records at once? Not like a user can see all. I do not do database work I would imagine there is a way to load x amount when needed.

I will pass this on to a friend who does nothing but database work and see if he has some ideas.

Addicted Member

As i see it i am not updating all records only the one in the datagridview