dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Insight Regarding Error Message

Resolved [RESOLVED] Insight Regarding Error Message

I have this error message when I try to open a project:
    The Web Application Project ********** is configured to use IIS. Unable to access the IIS metabase. You do not have sufficient privilege to access IIS web sites on your machine.
    Eventually, I'm going to care about this, but it has me quite puzzled. The project is a web service using SOAP (of all things). The service is deployed and working, so I have no imminent need to make any changes to the project, I just need to figure it out, eventually. The project was developed on a virtual server that I do essentially nothing to administer, so I have no real involvement with it other than using it as a development environment. None of the other services I have developed on this machine have the same issue, but all the rest are WebAPI and not the older SOAP (this service was originally written a decade back).

I'm not aware that anything has changed about the virtual server from when the service was working until now. I only found the error a month or so back when I tried to open the service to swipe some code from it. I think it has been a few years since I looked at it prior to that, though I can't really remember. There's plenty of time for some change to have been made, but I'm the only user of this virtual server (aside from a license server being also on there), so there isn't much happening with it.

I don't know what the error means enough to even know what change might have happened. My permissions on the virtual server shouldn't have changed any, I just suspect that part of the error might be a red herring, which I know little about, since I mostly work with salmon.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

Re: Insight Regarding Error Message

Re: Insight Regarding Error Message

Interesting. I saw that before, but ignored it because most of the suggestions are "Run as Administrator", which I always had been doing. Apparently, something did change, though, because that was the issue.

That virtual server is really fun. Nobody knows what it's used for, and nobody thinks it's used for much of anything, so people do things to it on a whim. I learned not to do that after asking if anybody else was using the server, then spending a few hours installing patches....only to find that it was being used as a license server, and the guy who had put that on there had quit months back. I guess somebody has decided to tinker with it again. At least it wasn't me this time.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing