Thread: Looking for ideas for my exam project within or above my skill level.

Looking for ideas for my exam project within or above my skill level.

Hello i have recently successfully finished my first real program which works but could be better. And now i am looking for a new challenge which i could use as an exam project.

I think it's fair to say that i am a novice in VB.net, i don't have any books i use mostly the internet to get the answer i seek mostly by doing research and doing tutorials and guides.
    Here are two ideas that i thought about;

• Inventory Management Simulator with databases (Access)
    • Download Manager

I think both of them sound challenging and yet being something that i should be able to make.

If you would like to see my first program which is a soda machine program, here is a mega link to it https://mega.nz/#!YtgEiabZ!xrU-LE-eL...fVrshi2pk9ecmw Contains source code with explanations and a release build in the bin folder!
    Here is the source code and picture of the program if you don't wish to download it:
    Code:
    https://pastebin.com/gmshM8jH
    Too long for this thread
    Name:  36a35234d519dd66568f5e109814ec75.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  46.8 KB

If anyone is just interested in my program and would like to take a look you're welcome, but i do appreciate any feedback i can get!
    I am also looking for any good material or any good help sheet or cheat sheet of some kind, basically any good resource of some kind that could help me greatly.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback or ideas for a program.
    Last edited by michalodzien; Jan 19th, 2018 at 03:40 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: Looking for ideas for my exam project within or above my skill level.

I'm not sure what your skill level is, or what a help chest or cheat chest is, but for programming languages that I've worked with, once I learn enough of the language I have some standard programs that I write that utilize many aspects of the programming language. They are:

-Write a working version of Minesweeper, with the ability to select different difficulty levels or custom board size/mine counts
    -Write a working Conway's Game of Life simulator, with the ability to begin with a board full of a random number of living cells, or let the user draw the starting state of the board, let the user pause the game to save the current state or load a previous state
    -Write a working Breakout/Arkanoid style game
    -Write a working Solitaire game (I write a version of Solitaire called Royal Marriage, mostly because many years ago I couldn't find a free version of the game available and I wanted to be able to play it)
    -Write a working version of MasterMind, allow the user to play a single player game (where the solution is selected randomly), or a 2-player game (where player 1 selects the solution)

If you are looking for just general ideas for programs to write, over at Reddit they have regular programming challenges of varying difficulty. I haven't kept up on them in a while, but several months ago I did a bunch of them, and enjoyed doing them.

I wrote this about Ten years ago +. Obviously over the years my knowledge has grown. I would of written the code in a different way.all exe removed.https://sam.globular.org/~sam/PizzaWorld.zip

Have a look at my website (link in my signature). There are lots of examples, some online, some compiled, some with source code...

Thank you for all of your reply's, it has given me an insight on many possibilities!