Thread: CAn't open forms from a VS2010 project which I converted from a VB2008 project

Hyperactive Member

CAn't open forms from a VS2010 project which I converted from a VB2008 project

I just converted a VS2008 project to a VS2010 project (I know , it's still old ! ) and although I got the message that the conversion was completed successfully , when I double click any form in the solution Explorer , I get this message :

How can this be ? ? ? that the VS2010 cannot open forms ?
    Also , I looked in the Error List to see what was going on , but I couldn't understand a thing ...
    Last edited by iliekater; Jan 19th, 2018 at 08:43 AM.

Re: CAn't open forms from a VS2010 project which I converted from a VB2008 project

The second warning tells you to check what your target platform is set to, it should be 32bit not 64 bit - have you checked to see what yours is set to?

Hyperactive Member

Re: CAn't open forms from a VS2010 project which I converted from a VB2008 project

If it is somewhere in the Editor itself , I don't know where .
    If it is about Windows , I can say that the program was created on a WinXP 32-bits PC and now it was opened on a Win7 64-bits computer .

If you open the properties for the project and look on the "Build" tab there should be a setting called something like "Platform Target", that is what you need to be looking at. Is it set to x86? If not change it to x86 and try again.

Those seem like the wrong errors to get for just having the wrong target. It looks to me like some components used in the project on the old computer are not available on the new computer.

The first thing I'd try is to start a new project, then use Import Existing Item to import just one of the forms from the old project. At the very least, this will narrow the problem down a bit and give you just one thing to look at. If it works, then import a second form, and so on till you find something that fails. If one of the forms won't open after being imported, then you might look at the .designer.vb file for that form to see whether there is anything showing an error.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

I think what is missing (or at least one of the things that are missing) is the framework . I came to this thought when I did this :
    I went to : Project > Project properties > tab References
    There appeared a message saying this tab could not be shown because either the application framework is not installed , or something else which I don't remember .
    I no longer can access that part of the Editor , for an unknown reason , so I can't post a picture of the exact message . Now when I go to Project (in the main menu bar of the Editor) I no longer have any option available ! There is only the option :
    Project > Public selection (which is grayed) .

Next I looked in : Windows > Control panel > Programs
    and I saw that the framework of my program (3.5) was indeed not installed (I can see that the "target framework is 3.5 thanks to an older computer) . In my current (Win7) computer I only have framework 1.1 and 4.7 . Therefore should I install the framework 3.5 or this could lead to other problems ?