dcsimg

Thread: Vb6 , the Future, and what I have discovered

Threaded View

PowerPoster

Re: Vb6 , the Future, and what I have discovered

@Olaf - I'm quite familiar with the intricacies of open source licenses (as you've figured out).

I see you've addressed the 2 required points per LGPL, which I was probing for - and failed to mention as requirements or in the downloads.
    1) you have to indicate that the source you used is available and that you will provide it via email / contact info. (for non-derivative works / static linked). I assume that only means the vb_cairo_sqlite.dll
    2) for LGPL V3 you have to also provide all the specific custom scripts / tools for the build environment. (which you did mention in the prior post) the fact that you're using old versions of a build environment, don't really matter. Most hard core dev's should breeze through getting the project to compile using newer tool chains.

So it's great that you've cleared that all up here when asked - but for the sake of transparency, appearance, and more importantly compliance - you do need to indicate that in the project download.

It's adding to perceived (and possibly real) non-compliance.
    You can't then say Oh I'll just remove the LGPL parts as a solution to something you are currently distributing.
    It all just looks bad for someone with as much credibility as you.

Hopefully you take this as constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Olaf,

As far as I've ever seen, there's absolutely no requirement on any open-source license that you provide information on how to compile things. I suppose it'd be a nicety in the comments if you noted what compilers, assemblers, linkers, etcetera you used, but even that isn't a requirement.
    LGPL V3 - Paragraph 4 Part d)
    Code:
    d) Do one of the following:
    0) Convey the Minimal Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, and the Corresponding Application Code in a form suitable for, and under terms that permit, the user to recombine or relink the Application with a modified version of the Linked Version to produce a modified Combined Work, in the manner specified by section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying Corresponding Source.
    1) Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the Library. A suitable mechanism is one that (a) uses at run time a copy of the Library already present on the user's computer system, and (b) will operate properly with a modified version of the Library that is interface-compatible with the Linked Version.
    LGPL V3 you are required not only to provide source, but the build scripts, and environment details as well.
    You are required to release enough to actually build it yourself.

That was the point of V3 of LGPL, you can't provide most of the source without all the information required to rebuild them yourself.

edit: being defensive about requirements only adds to the looking bad.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Feb 9th, 2018 at 08:32 AM.