Thread: [RESOLVED] Permanently Display Properties Window As Vertical ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Permanently Display Properties Window As Vertical ?

I apologize for the simplistic nature of this question but I have been searching the internet and VB .NET for several hours without success.

When you start the Community Edition of VB .NET and begin a new project, the PROPERTIES window tab is in a horizontal position alongside the Form1 tab.

I can move the PROPERTIES window/tab to the side and place it as VERTICAL then click PIN. But, how does one get this to be automatic when starting a new project ?
    Obviously if there is a setting it is purposely hiding from me (dag gone it !).

Just sign me :
    Confused and embarrassed.

Re: Permanently Display Properties Window As Vertical ?

I'm not really sure what you mean. If a tool window is beside the code and designer windows then it is vertical already. A horizontal tool window would be underneath the code and designer windows, like the Output window. Maybe you're referring to the relative positions of the Properties and Solution Explorer windows. I'd have to see screenshots to be sure.

Regardless, changes to tool window layouts are permanent, as long as VS shuts down normally afterwards. One thing you will find is that you can overwrite changes unintentionally though. For instance, if you open two VS windows and change the tool window layout in one and close it then those changes are saved, but if you then close the other window, you'll be saving the old layout again. If you open one VS window, make changes and then close that window, you should find that all future window will open with the new layout. Basically, new windows will open in the same state as the last normally-closed window. That's certainly been my experience at least.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Basically, new windows will open in the same state as the last normally-closed window. That's certainly been my experience at least.
    That's true, in addition Window menu has some commands to Save, Apply, Manage and Reset window layout.

If I start a new project, the PROPERTIES window / panel is in a horizontal position behind or in front of the FORM window / panel. If I arrange the PROPERTIES window / panel to a vertical position and save the project before closing it, when the project is reopened the PROPERTIES window / panel shows in the vertical position where it was saved.

How do you get the PROPERTIES window / panel to auto arrange in a vertical position when you open a NEW PROJECT ?

Apologies for the size of the images.

New project :

Name:  New.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  26.7 KB

Saved project :

Attachment 155359
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Logit View Post
    How do you get the PROPERTIES window / panel to auto arrange in a vertical position when you open a NEW PROJECT ?
    New project is created in current layout, AFAIK there is no option to switch to a specific layout when creating new project.

Just define your favorite layout(s) and save then re-load by pressing Ctrl+Alt+1, Ctrl+Alt+2, Ctrl+Alt+3 etc...

4x2y

Good suggestion !

Perhaps MS will include the personal display option in a future release ....