Thread: [RESOLVED] Button Shapes ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Button Shapes ?

I'm transitioning from VB/VBA to VB.NET ...

Are all command buttons in .NET flat looking without depth ? VB5 / VBA command buttons have rounded edges and contours.

Is it possible to make a button in .NET look 3d without a third party add on ?

Thanks

You don't want to know.

Re: Button Shapes ?

Generally buttons in VB .NET should look like standard buttons in your visual theme. That was rounded and had gradients in Windows XP but is back to a more flat style in Windows 10.

If you're using exceptionally old versions of Visual Studio, like 2003 or the one before it, this isn't true. Those versions did not yet support Windows XP visual styles by default. There's literally no reason to use versions that old.

So my guess is you're seeing Windows 10 flat-style buttons and you wish they looked like Windows XP buttons, or maybe the VBA "I can't believe it's not 1991" Windows 3.1 style? Without a screenshot of what you have and what you want it's hard to advise you, but I'd argue it's best to use what looks native on the platform.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

"I can't believe it's not 1991" Windows 3.1 style?"

I don't care what you say ... NOW THAT'S FUNNY !

Why can't I have my cake and eat it too ? I'm old and really beginning to get set in my ways. It's my right dang it !

Thank you for the explanation.

Here is the .NET button : Name:  .Net.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  15.3 KB

Here is a VBA Excel button : Name:  Help.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  3.0 KB And another : Name:  Close.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  3.1 KB

In actuality both are designated as FLAT in the respective properties section but the Excel/VBA buttons have more of a 3d look and when clicked on, they visually appear to have a deeper movement to them. Almost like
    the button is actually being depressed deeper into the form surface.

Can the VBA button attributes be recreated in .NET ?

PowerPoster

Under the project properties, in Application you can choose "Enable xp visual styles". Also the Button control has a "FlatStyle" property you can play with. But your not going to get the exact old style button look.

Thank you for the tip. Ironically, "Enable xp visual styles" was already engaged. I unchecked it and viola ! The look I was seeking.

Thank you !

Re: [RESOLVED] Button Shapes ?

How old ARE you, anyways? Most of the folks on here are older than you might think.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: [RESOLVED] Button Shapes ?

Ha ! Ha !

I'm really not old ... just retired two years ago. But don't tell anyone! If everyone thinks I'm on my way out maybe they will share their deepest programming secrets with me.