Thread: Textfile projects

Textfile projects

Hi !

I am very new to programming I am from the US. For my assignment I need to create a text file system that will book users to certain golf ranges. I have looked over the internet for back end text files and i cant find any. Anyone know where I can find examples ?

Re: Textfile projects

Text files are easy to read and write. Show us your program/code and we'll tell you how to utilise text files in your scenario...

I think that you're looking for some magic that doesn't exist. A text file is just a simple text file, like you read and write using Notepad. In general, you read and write text files in VB.NET using a StreamReader and a StreamWriter respectively (although there are variations), which you would find if you searched the web for "vb.net read text file" or the like. Don't necessarily expect that someone will have written a tutorial on how to use text files as a backend for a VB.NET application. Software development is not about copying and pasting turnkey solutions. It's about taking bits of knowledge and combining them in ways that suit your overall problem. Reading and writing text files is basically the same regardless of where the data is going to or coming from. Displaying data is basically the same regardless of where the data is coming from. You don't need to learn how to read and write data and how to display it as a single unit. You can learn them completely independently and then combine them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmethecoder101 View Post
    Hi !

I am very new to programming I am from the US. For my assignment I need to create a text file system that will book users to certain golf ranges. I have looked over the internet for back end text files and i cant find any. Anyone know where I can find examples ?
    Hi,

you got more than on answer(s) in this Thread you started a while back
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...iles-in-vb-net

so I don't really know why you are asking again, without trying to use
    that Information.

I guess you are waiting for a complete sample.

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    Hi,

you got more than on answer(s) in this Thread you started a while back
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...iles-in-vb-net

so I don't really know why you are asking again, without trying to use
    that Information.

I guess you are waiting for a complete sample.

regards
    Chris
    What's worse, the OP seems to have created a new account, quite possibly to hide the fact that they had already asked this question and had it answered. It seems that a number of people think that "example" means "something I can copy and paste and have it just work".

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    What's worse, the OP seems to have created a new account, quite possibly to hide the fact that they had already asked this question and had it answered. It seems that a number of people think that "example" means "something I can copy and paste and have it just work".
    +1 to that statment JMC

evan worse is, they Copy and Paste, and don't understand 20% of the Code.
    but when the Employee or Client say's.. I want that added... or... can you change that to that... then they have a problem!

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.