Thread: [RESOLVED] Lan drive really slow.

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Lan drive really slow.

I have a Synology NAS and File Explorer and FreeFileSync read & write to it in a speedy manner. My Network is 1Gbps.

However, from my VB6 app it is really really slow (Reading & Writing). I have tried 'Map Network Drive' but it is still terribly slow. I am using standard VB6 commands for access.

Is there some protocol I should be using to try and achieve much higher speeds from the NAS?

PowerPoster

Re: Lan drive really slow.

If you use that same code and write to your local drive do you see a huge difference?

Fanatic Member

Oh yes, a huge difference. I can use Dir$ to return all 51000 files in my Local Music folder in about 0.5 secs. The same on my backup Music Folder on the NAS takes so long I've never been able to see it finish.

Yet FreefileSync seems to perform equally on Local or NAS. File explorer too is very quick. Any ideas ?

Steve, give me a snippet of test-code you're using, and I'll try it here. I've also got a Synology NAS box. I forget the exact model, but it's a four-bay-"Play" model. I probably have different drives than you, but I think my ethernet, routers, and switches are probably similar.

EDIT1: It's a DS415play. Another thought: How many utilities do you have running on the Synology box? Maybe that little linux OS is bogged down with all your apps. I keep mine pretty clean. Even my video/picture server is running on an independent laptop that just sits there. I don't really use the "play" features.

Also, I'd have to trace it down, but I believe all my routers and switches are 1gb, except for some PoE stuff which is only 100mb, but none of my computers are going through that switch.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jan 13th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Fanatic Member

Hi Elroy thanks for looking at this. In order to show you the problem, I dug out a find files speed tester I made for someone on here. I tested both the local drive and the NAS (Synology DS212+).

You can see the results for all three tests for Local and NAS.

FSO is only there because the enquirer thought it was the fastest method.

As you can see the NAS is considerably slower. However it is not 'that' slow, so in the morning I will look at the code in my main application to see if there is something daft I have overlooked. I would still be grateful if you would test your system and let me see the results.

Many Thanks

Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Steve,

I didn't take as much time as you assembling as many files, but my NAS box results were significantly slower, but not as much as yours. Just looking at your first set of numbers, your slowdown was by about a factor of 60. Here are my results:

Name:  dir1.png
Views: 677
Size:  20.1 KBName:  dir2.png
Views: 724
Size:  22.4 KB

As you can see, my slowdown was more or an order of about 10 (rather than 60), well except for FSO. Maybe that'll help you.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Elroy, it might be worth testing with a number of files closer to 50000, or at least more than 1268. It has been my experience that file related lag when dealing with a large number of files is not linear when comparing local vs. network access. So you are seeing 10:1 with 1268 files, that ratio may well be much larger with more files. That's all I have to add, I hope you guys can get this sorted.

Argh, I'm not sure I'm up to assembling that many files, just for a test. I got about 20 minutes into just assembling those 1268 files (and I've now deleted them all). I suppose I could write a VB6 program that just created a bunch of small (or even 0 byte) files. I'll wait and see what Steve says though, since it's his problem.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, Steve, you may want to try it on your end with 1268 files, and see if you get results similar to mine, or still get a 60x slowdown as before.

Fanatic Member

Hi Elroy,

Although for VB Network access appears to be much slower, there is no doubt that I am much slower than you.

I will investigate my system more. That still doesn't answer why VB6 is so slow compared to Explorer or FreeFileSync.

Many thanks for your help, I will close this now.

Re: [RESOLVED] Lan drive really slow.

Steve, don't forget to investigate apps on your Synology box. I believe those things are just using Intel Atom processors. It wouldn't take much to bog one of those things down.

Also, it's interesting that your local (E drive) is so much faster than my local (C drive). Basically, our Synology boxes (and switches and routers) are very much in the same ballpark. 0.2225 versus 0.1631 isn't enough difference to bother with. It just appears that you have a super-fast E-drive. Is it SSD? My C-drive is suppose to be pretty fast. I'm surprised yours is almost 4 times faster.

My C-drive is a HGST Travelstar 7K1000 HTS721010A9E630, spinning at 7200RPM with an average latency of 4.2ms and a 1ms track-to-track seek time. That's nothing to scoff at, but yours is still faster.

Also, I forgot to say, but I'm ethernet plugged in to my network. You're not using WiFi, are you?

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Jan 14th, 2018 at 08:49 AM.

PowerPoster

I tried it here on a folder with 2617 files in it
    Local disk took 0.0124
    Network1 took 0.6958
    Network2 took 0.0588

Local disk: WD Black 1TB 7200rpm
    Network 1: Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb 7200rpm hard wired through a 10/100 switch
    Network 2: Samsung 840 Evo SSD 250gb hard wired through 10/100/1000 switch

As you can see there is a pretty big difference in the two network tests

Times listed for API mode only
    Last edited by DataMiser; Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:09 AM.

PowerPoster

Seems that the Network-timings in both (Steves and Elroys) Tests with 1268 Files are pretty comparable (in their absolute time, not compared to the local disk).

What one could try is, to check the relative new Flag "FIND_FIRST_EX_LARGE_FETCH" as the last param in a FindFirstFileEx-API-call.

Please adapt the Path in the Form_Click-Event in the following Demo:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Public Enum FINDEX_INFO_LEVELS
      FindExInfoStandard
      FindExInfoBasic
      FindExInfoMaxInfoLevel
    End Enum
    Public Enum FINDEX_SEARCH_OPS
      FindExSearchNameMatch
      FindExSearchLimitToDirectories
      FindExSearchLimitToDevices
      FindExSearchMaxSearchOp
    End Enum
    Public Enum FINDEX_FLAGS
      FIND_FIRST_EX_CASE_SENSITIVE = 1
      FIND_FIRST_EX_LARGE_FETCH = 2
    End Enum

Private Const MAX_PATH = 260
    Private Type WIN32_FIND_DATA
        dwFileAttributes As Long
        ftCreationTime As Currency
        ftLastAccessTime As Currency
        ftLastWriteTime As Currency
        nFileSizeHigh As Long
        nFileSizeLow As Long
        dwReserved0 As Long
        dwReserved1 As Long
        cFileName As String * MAX_PATH
        cAlternate As String * 14
    End Type

Private Declare Function FindFirstFileExW Lib "kernel32" (ByVal lpFileName As Long, ByVal fInfoLevelId As FINDEX_INFO_LEVELS, ByVal lpFindFileData As Long, Optional ByVal fSearchOp As FINDEX_SEARCH_OPS, Optional ByVal lpSearchFilter As Long, Optional ByVal dwAdditionalFlags As FINDEX_FLAGS) As Long
    Private Declare Function FindNextFileW Lib "kernel32" (ByVal lpFileName As Long, ByVal lpFindFileData As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function FindClose Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hFindFile As Long) As Long

Private Sub Form_Click()
      Dim FLst() As String, T!

T = Timer

FLst = FindFilesAPIEx("\\Server\Share\Folder", "*", FIND_FIRST_EX_LARGE_FETCH)

Caption = "FileNames found: " & UBound(FLst) + 1 & ",  after: " & Timer - T
    End Sub

Private Function FindFilesAPIEx(ByVal sPath As String, Optional ByVal Filter As String = "*", Optional ByVal ExFlags As FINDEX_FLAGS) As String()
        FindFilesAPIEx = Split(vbNullString)
        Dim lPtr As Long, lHandle As Long, wFD As WIN32_FIND_DATA
            lPtr = VarPtr(wFD)
        If Right(sPath, 1) <> "\" Then sPath = sPath & "\"

lHandle = FindFirstFileExW(StrPtr(sPath & Filter), FindExInfoBasic, lPtr, 0, 0, ExFlags)
        If lHandle = -1 Then Err.Raise vbObjectError, , "Err in FindFirstFileExW " & Err.LastDllError

Dim Lst() As String, LstUB As Long, LstCount As Long
            LstUB = 32: ReDim Lst(LstUB)
        Do
           If wFD.dwFileAttributes And vbDirectory Then 'it's a directory-entry

Else 'it's a file-entry
             If LstCount > LstUB Then LstUB = 2 * LstUB: ReDim Lst(LstUB)
             Lst(LstCount) = Left$(wFD.cFileName, InStr(wFD.cFileName, vbNullChar) - 1)
             LstCount = LstCount + 1
           End If
        Loop While FindNextFileW(lHandle, lPtr)

FindClose lHandle
        If LstCount Then ReDim Preserve Lst(LstCount - 1) Else Lst = Split(vbNullString)
        FindFilesAPIEx = Lst
    End Function
    Olaf

Fanatic Member

@Elroy, I think our friend Olaf has put his finger on it as did you. It's not so much that my NAS is 45-50 times slower, it's that my Hard drive appears to be really quick.
    The screenshot is my NAS, I think that's all that is running. Sorry for the CPU being red, I didn't wait for it to finish checking for updates.

My E: Drive is a 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM 7200rpm. Set to G.P.T. instead of M.B.R. as it 'seems' faster.
    My NAS has 2 x WD Red 4TB 5400rpm Configured as Raid 1.

I will try Olaf's code in the morning and report back.

Thanks all.

Fanatic Member

Guys, I managed to get it done tonight and here are the results.

In all cases Olaf's code makes a small but worthwhile improvement. I have already put it into my main application (thanks Olaf).

PowerPoster

Here is a test that I ran.

Nothing original here, just using some existing code that incorporates much of what was already discussed above. The only thing that might be considered "innovative" at all is avoidance of recursion to (optionally) descend into subdirectories and the use of VB Like operator patterns instead of the more simplistic patterns supported by the APIs.

There is also a "share logon" if needed. This can be handy for testing within the IDE since it should be running elevated and that user context may not be logged on to your remote server for file sharing.

I tested against a slow NAS device to see some worst-case performance.

This code returns full path names, but the item names and their attributes can also be retrieved as required. See the comments at the head of the DirListerW class.

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 621
Size:  7.1 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dilettante; Jan 15th, 2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: reposted with a fix for a serious bug

Fanatic Member

Hello Dil,

Thanks for that. Results below.

Fanatic Member

I've decided to lay myself bare and ask if my code can be improved. On Local Disk this entire function takes approx 0.34secs. On my NAS I have lost patience and always Ctrl-Break out of it.

I load a dictionary with all the UNIQUE CD numbers and then have to check that the physical tracks match the database.

Code:
    For Each Key In Dic.Keys
            j = Dic.Item(Key)
            n$ = NumberDat(j)
            GetTrackData j                                                      'Find the number of tracks for n$ in the database. eg 10 Blisteringly fast!
            FirstPass = True
            CDTracks = CDTracks + Trk.Numtracks
            Path$ = Dir$(MusicPath & n$ & "Track*.*")
            d = 0

lHandle = FindFirstFileW(StrPtr(MusicPath & n$ & "Track*.*"), lPtr)
            If lHandle > 0 Then
                Do                                                              'Whenever I do Ctrl + Break (on NAS), this is where we break.
                    d = d + 1
                Loop While FindNextFileW(lHandle, lPtr) > 0
            End If
            FindClose lHandle

If d <> Trk.Numtracks Then                                          'If there is a mismatch, start to create an error string Expected - Found
                If Len(Terr$) > 0 Then Terr$ = Terr$ & vbNewLine & vbNewLine
                Terr$ = Terr$ & n$ & " Expected " & Trk.Numtracks & ".   Found " & d & "." & vbNewLine
                MaxFound = MaxFound + 2

For x = 1 To Trk.Numtracks
                    lHandle = FindFirstFileW(StrPtr(MusicPath & n$ & "Track" & format$(x, "00") & ".*"), lPtr) 'eg \\DiskStation\Backup\Drive E\Music\CD10Track06.mp3"
                    FindClose lHandle
                    If lHandle = -1 Then                                        '-1 means not found.
                        If FirstPass Then
                            FirstPass = False
                            Terr$ = Terr$ & n$ & " "
                            Terr$ = Terr$ & "Missing track(s): " & x
                            MaxFound = MaxFound + 1
                        Else
                            Terr$ = Terr$ & ", " & x
                        End If
                    End If
                Next x
            End If

Count = Count + 1
            ProgUp Count
            If MaxFound > MaxErr Then Exit For
        Next Key

PowerPoster

When I hacked on DirListerW.cls I had introduced a serious flaw. Corrected now (reposted attachment above).

Fanatic Member

Not as good I am afraid.

PowerPoster

Well the change was really minor though important. I doubt that the change itself is responsible for a longer timing. For Depth = 1 it shouldn't even matter.

More likely just variation in timings between runs.

PowerPoster

Yeah speed will vary from one run to another and if you look at the two examples the first run was faster on the local drive but the second run was faster on the network drive so yeah chalk it up to variation between runs. If you run it a few more times you will likely see more fluctuation

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grant View Post
    I've decided to lay myself bare and ask if my code can be improved.
    It surely can...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grant View Post
    On Local Disk this entire function takes approx 0.34secs. On my NAS I have lost patience and always Ctrl-Break out of it.
    That's because you rely on the FileSystem to behave like a kind of "DB-storage, which supports Like-expressions".

Since FileSystems are performance-optimized (also in their Name-Lookup-Logic, because NTFS stores its DirContent in a sorting BTree),
    your repeated Filter-Searches using the "wild-cards" perform quite well, but only in case you do them against a local (NTFS-formatted) partition.

It's an entirely different story when you work over sockets to do the same filtering against "LAN-storage".

So, why not scan the Directory in question only once - and saving such a "SnapShot" in a Structure,
    which supports equally fast lookups per "Like filtering"?

An ADO-Recordset comes to mind (which IIRC supports Like-expressions in its Filter-Statement) -
    or alternatively you could use a real DB "InMemory" to do the same thing.

Here's RC5-based code, which shows (without using any APIs), how one can apply such an InMemory-DB-Object to your scenario:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private ScanResult As cMemDB 'an SQL-queryable Object, which stores the current "DirList-Snapshot"

Private Sub Form_Load()
    '  CreateTestFilesIn "c:\temp\TestMusicFiles" 'had to create a Folder with 50000 Dummy-Files for a realistic test

New_c.Timing True
        Set ScanResult = ScanFileNames("c:\temp\TestMusicFiles", "*.mp3;*.wav;*.flac")
      Debug.Print ScanResult.GetCount("Files") & " files landed in MemDB after:" & New_c.Timing
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Click()
      Dim Rs As cRecordset, CDNr As Long, sSearch As String
      New_c.Timing True
        For CDNr = 1 To 2000 'filter for Filenames, which start with a certain CDName
          sSearch = "CD" & CDNr & "Track%" 'use % instead of *
          Set Rs = ScanResult.GetRs("Select * From Files Where Name Like '" & sSearch & "'")
          If Rs.RecordCount <> 25 Then Stop
        Next
      Debug.Print "2000 filtering Selects performed in:" & New_c.Timing
    End Sub

Private Function ScanFileNames(Path$, Optional FilterListSemicolonSeparated$) As cMemDB
      Set ScanFileNames = New_c.MemDB 'the function-result is a MemDB-Instance

Dim DL As cDirList 'get a DirContent-Snapshot into a DirList-Object
      Set DL = New_c.FSO.GetDirList(Path, , FilterListSemicolonSeparated)

'Ok, the DirList was filled - now let's transfer the DirList-FileNames into a MemDB-Table...
      ScanFileNames.BeginTrans
        ScanFileNames.Exec "Create Table Files(Name Text Collate NoCase, Size Int)" 'a case-insensitive Name-Field and the FileSize
        Dim i As Long
        For i = 0 To DL.FilesCount - 1
          ScanFileNames.ExecCmd "Insert Into Files Values(?,?)", DL.FileName(i), DL.FileSize(i)
        Next
        ScanFileNames.Exec "Create Index idx_Files_Name On Files(Name)" 'index the Name-Col for faster searches
      ScanFileNames.CommitTrans
    End Function

Private Sub CreateTestFilesIn(Path$)
      New_c.FSO.CreateDirectory Path
      Dim CDNr As Long, TRNr As Long
      For CDNr = 1 To 2000: For TRNr = 1 To 25 'for a total of 50000 files
         New_c.FSO.CreateFileStream Path & "\CD" & CDNr & "Track" & Right$("0" & TRNr, 2) & ".mp3"
      Next TRNr, CDNr
    End Sub
    So, the above Routine: ScanFileNames performs the DirListing - and returns an InMemory-DB-Instance.
    It does that in Form_Load and prints out:
    Code:
    50000 files landed in MemDB after: 280.13msec
    On your machine, I expect this SnapShot-creation routine, to need about:
    - 0.3sec locally
    - 7.3sec for making that snapshot from your Share

But that was it - the rest of the Filtering does not need to touch the FileSystem or the Network again.

If you now click the Form, you will see a timing, how long it will take to perform
    "2000 Rs-returning DB-Selects, which filter per Like on the CDName":
    On my machine I get:
    Code:
    2000 filtering Selects performed in: 590.30msec
    And I would guess, that you will see roughly the same timings, when you adapt your real
    "TrackNumber-comparison"-routine to that Recordset-based variant (which in Rs.RecordCount will reflect the Tracks-Count).

Olaf

Fanatic Member

@OLaf, Of course!! Just read the entire contents once and do the real work in memory. I've now tried and it works. Local Disk 0.22secs: NAS 5.4secs. Who would complain about that. Many Thanks.