Thread: Webkit Browser Control giving a Exception, will not run.

Webkit Browser Control giving a Exception, will not run.

With the only difference in the tutorial that is of running it in Vb.net I followed the tutorial completely to configure it. I added the only DLL it mentions to add, and it still didn't work.

See the official website

Back to the issue:

Error I get:

Code:
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in BetaBeffsBrowserVersion2.exe
    The worst part of it, it isn't occuring in my code, its just throwing the exception I assume in the control itself. I am at a loss, and not sure what to do.

What I have attempted:

- Removing my code

- Adding all the DLLs' in the 'Bin' Folder.

Both of these were my failed trials to fix this on my own.

Any help advice or otherwise is appreciated.

Edit: I got more info on the error: "Failed to initialize activation context"

This is occuring with all the DLLs' in my Debug folder with the rest of the DLLS
    Last edited by jdc20181; Jun 3rd, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Frenzied Member

Re: Webkit Browser Control giving a Exception, will not run.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    What I have attempted:

- Adding all the DLLs' in the 'Bin' Folder.
    Did you also add the manifest file: 'WebKitBrowser.dll.manifest' ?

I will try adding that thanks! They need to improve the tutorial just a lil'

Thanks again!

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Good news is, it doesn't throw any errors

BAD news is - it isn't loading any webpages. Just a blank white page.

Frenzied Member

What code are you using? Is it just the code given in the tutorial?

If so, be careful how you translate this line from C#. Watch out for the escaped quotes in the line that contains:
    href=\"http://google.com\">Hello, World
    Make sure to remove the 2 forward slashes (the ones before the quotation marks that are shown above as pipes | ).

Edit: The forum won't let me post the actual code. Keeps giving me a "Something Went Wrong" page.
    Last edited by Inferrd; Jun 3rd, 2017 at 06:43 PM.

Yes I know what part you are talking about but I am not using that part of code.

Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private Sub ToolStripButton1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ToolStripButton1.Click
            WebKitBrowser1.Navigate(ToolStripTextBox1.Text)
        End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            WebKitBrowser1.Navigate("https://google.com")
        End Sub

Private Sub webKitBrowser1_Navigated(sender As Object, e As WebBrowserNavigatedEventArgs)
            ToolStripTextBox1.Text = WebKitBrowser1.Url.ToString()
        End Sub
    End Class
    I will explain my process a little more:

I have been developing a webbrowser project coming up on its 2 year anniversary. The issue is it still uses the IE engine because I have in failed early years attempts when I didn't know what the heck I was doing attempted to use others but they wouldn't work, and I guess I just didn't understand enough to explain what was happening and just kept the easy way.

My project isn't just a webbrowser it is a full on all in one app, with a Youtube downloader, Notepad, and all sorts of other goodies. Anyways I started working on a Testing version (beta version with new release stuff before it goes to production) to test how a new engine would work.

I have tried Cefsharp, but it requires the 4.5.2 or newer framework Great! my computer is compatible. but when I download it i get a "Can not run in compatibibility mode" error, the solution is digging in the HACESS keys or whatever and I am not a fan with playing with those parts of my computer, but depsperate I attempted to find the paths it specified but guess what NOTHING APPEARED. Nothing with the 4.5.2 name appeared as the solution suggested.

So Attempt 2, try to use awesomium the orignal issue with this was that I tried it before but it is missing many features the webbrowser control has. e.g. Progress bars I can't use the document completed. It doesn't work. Second issue with awesomium is its using chrome 18 and currently at 57, i think that is just a little too old. Seemingly as though I got a class recnetly that uses the latest version of IE OR if you are on windows 10 it will use EDGE for the enggine.

So here I came back to webkit, which I despised at first but now I like it because its more straight forward.

BUT the issue now is getting it to work.

LOL sorry for spamming you with my programmign lifes' issues.

Update: LOL I added a progress bar, and it took it a few times but it finally worked!

I may have some more questions. Let me continue to do some more work with it before I say this is resolved.

Update 2: seems to still be hanging up, not sure what the cause is really I think its just buggy because of the age

EDIT : Appears to occur when I type in "HTTPS" before the url.

Edit 2: I don't think it has support for HTTPS because it loaded google with HTTP.

Frenzied Member

I can navigate to https sites, including the https version of Google.

That said, the browser doesn't behave as I'd expect. I sometimes see blank pages, or some Google searches just seem to do nothing.

Maybe it's the age as you say. Possibly there's some setting up to do, but I don't know enough about WebKit to help in that regard. Sorry

Ignore this post, I switched to gecko (I think you already know this) Webkit was a pain in the backside, The only thing different with gecko is I used a nuget pack to install instead of the old fashion method which turned up easier. I think the Gecko version I have is much older than what is the current wiht Firefox itself, but it works with HTML5 and HTTPS, so it must be newer than the webkit thing.

All is good.

There is a commercial ActiveX version here www.webkitx.com. Could be OK with .NET.

Quote Originally Posted by epolitakis View Post
    There is a commercial ActiveX version here www.webkitx.com. Could be OK with .NET.
    This is really old. I do not use webkit, and even if I did I would not pay for something I am distributing under a open source license.