dcsimg

Thread: VB6 Program Works on Windows 7 32 but not on Windows 7 64

VB6 Program Works on Windows 7 32 but not on Windows 7 64

This is my first post. I have an older VB6 application that works fine under Windows 7 32bit but not on the 64bit version. I am upgrading my clients to 64bit and need to get this resolved. A runtime error 91 occurs when the application is started and tries to access the SQL 2008r2 database via ODBC.

The database access is done using a Connection in the Data Environment using the 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers' . Here is the Provider Property:
    Provider=MSDASQL.1;Password="";Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Data Source=EscrowLogin

Here is the program code:

Private Function LoginDBTestConnection() As Boolean

On Error Resume Next

LoginDBTestConnection = False
    If Not goApp.Denv.Connection2.State = adStateClosed Then
    goApp.Denv.Connection2.Close
    End If
    goApp.Denv.Connection2.Open
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    MsgBox "The system failed to connect to the Login database." & vbCrLf & _
    "Please check the 'Company' database." & " Error =" & Err.Number
    Exit Function
    End If

LoginDBTestConnection = True

End Function

I have made sure that the 32bit version of ODBC is correct on the Windows 7 64 PC and I can open a connection using a vb script file, but not from the program.

What can cause this and can anyone provide assistance resolving this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Frenzied Member

Re: VB6 Program Works on Windows 7 32 but not on Windows 7 64

Perhaps the Data Environment ain't installing well in the 64bit PC ?
    99% of experienced users will tell you not to use the Data Environment, and that is my advice too.
    Rob
    PS The other 1% gives me a negative rating whenever I tell people this.
    Let's see if he does it again

PowerPoster

Is the program being installed properly? on 64 bit systems some files need to be installed in the syswow64 folder where they would be in system32 on a 32 bit system.

I don;t use the data environment and I do not use ODBC to connect to SQL server. I instead use ADO and the SQL server provider. I always create a proper installer and have never had an issue running under any current MS OS.

PowerPoster

Data Environments will work on 64 bit machines. I have several old VB6 programs that use lots of Data Environments running on Win7 and Win 10 machines. DataMiser has brought up an important point, has you created a proper installer and did it work without problems. I know I had to modify my installers for 64 bit machines. But it's been so long ago I don't remember exactly what I had to do. Google "how to install vb6 programs on 64 bit machines" there is lots of information.

A lot of people are caught in this situation, the VB6 installation disk also came with a MSDN VB6 Library documentation disk. Many of the coding examples used Data Environments.

I have many applications running on Win7 64bit that access our SQL servers without issue.
    I have had random crashes when running on Win7/10 32Bit. Changing the compatibility mode to XP SP3 seems to stop those crashes.