Thread: How to make the button as selected (background color)?

Hybrid View

How to make the button as selected (background color)?

Hello,

I thought it would be a simple question but I really searched for long time and I didn't get the answer.

Q: How can I make a button as selected with this background color?

Name:  vb1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  11.3 KB

In mouse hover the background will be light blue (see Fuel button in the screenshot), I want to stick this light blue background when I click on the button so the user will know he is exploring the content under this button.

Re: How to make the button as selected (background color)?

A really simple solution could be to change the Button's BackColor to signify a selected state.

It seems what you're asking for is a Button that behaves like a RadioButton. While it is simple to describe, it's not really that simple to implement the exact way you described.

You could subclass the control and override different events to control how it behaves and looks. However, the amount of effort required would be about the same as writing a Button control yourself. And it would take a lot more effort if you wanted it to look just like any other Button since you would have to deal with the somewhat complicated Theming API.

That being said, you should create your own control from scratch and give it the behaviors and look you desire. It's the most painless solution I could think of that doesn't involve trying to change how the Button behaves. This is what I would do if I had the time. If time was a factor and I needed a quick and dirty solution, I'd simply change the BackColor like I suggested at the start of this post.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    A really simple solution could be to change the Button's BackColor to signify a selected state.

It seems what you're asking for is a Button that behaves like a RadioButton. While it is simple to describe, it's not really that simple to implement the exact way you described.

You could subclass the control and override different events to control how it behaves and looks. However, the amount of effort required would be about the same as writing a Button control yourself. And it would take a lot more effort if you wanted it to look just like any other Button since you would have to deal with the somewhat complicated Theming API.

That being said, you should create your own control from scratch and give it the behaviors and look you desire. It's the most painless solution I could think of that doesn't involve trying to change how the Button behaves. This is what I would do if I had the time. If time was a factor and I needed a quick and dirty solution, I'd simply change the BackColor like I suggested at the start of this post.
    Thanks Niya for the detailed reply. I know how to change the button background when selected but the background color will be solid not same the light blue in my screenshot.

PowerPoster

I'm sure there's plenty of room for optimization, but here is a quick example of what it sounds like you are describing:

Code:
      Private btnCollection As New Collection()
      Private btnSelected As System.Object

Private Sub frmButtonColorTest_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

btnCollection.Add(btnAvailability)
        btnCollection.Add(btnFuel)
        btnCollection.Add(btnEnergy)

End Sub

Private Sub btnButtons_MouseEnter(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _
          Handles btnAvailability.MouseEnter, btnFuel.MouseEnter, _
          btnEnergy.MouseEnter

CType(sender, Button).BackColor = Color.LightBlue

End Sub

Private Sub btnButtons_MouseLeave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _
          Handles btnAvailability.MouseLeave, btnFuel.MouseLeave, _
          btnEnergy.MouseLeave

If Not btnSelected Is sender Then
          CType(sender, Button).BackColor = Control.DefaultBackColor
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnAvailability_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAvailability.Click

SetButtonClickColor(sender)
        ' Do other Availability button click events

End Sub

Private Sub btnFuel_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFuel.Click

' Do other Fuel button click events

End Sub

Private Sub btnEnergy_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnEnergy.Click

' Do other Energy button click events

End Sub

Private Sub SetButtonClickColor(ByVal sender As System.Object)

Dim objButton As Object

For Each objButton In btnCollection
          CType(objButton, Button).BackColor = Control.DefaultBackColor
        Next

btnSelected = sender

End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I'm sure there's plenty of room for optimization, but here is a quick example of what it sounds like you are describing:

Code:
      Private btnCollection As New Collection()
      Private btnSelected As System.Object

Private Sub frmButtonColorTest_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

btnCollection.Add(btnAvailability)
        btnCollection.Add(btnFuel)
        btnCollection.Add(btnEnergy)

End Sub

Private Sub btnButtons_MouseEnter(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _
          Handles btnAvailability.MouseEnter, btnFuel.MouseEnter, _
          btnEnergy.MouseEnter

End Sub

Private Sub btnButtons_MouseLeave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _
          Handles btnAvailability.MouseLeave, btnFuel.MouseLeave, _
          btnEnergy.MouseLeave

If Not btnSelected Is sender Then
          CType(sender, Button).BackColor = Control.DefaultBackColor
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub btnAvailability_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAvailability.Click

' Do other Availability button click events

End Sub

Private Sub btnFuel_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFuel.Click

' Do other Fuel button click events

End Sub

Private Sub btnEnergy_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnEnergy.Click

' Do other Energy button click events

End Sub

Private Sub SetButtonClickColor(ByVal sender As System.Object)

Dim objButton As Object

For Each objButton In btnCollection
          CType(objButton, Button).BackColor = Control.DefaultBackColor
        Next

btnSelected = sender

End Sub

Thanks OptionBase1 for the code, it is working but the background color is not what I am looking for

This is the result for your code:

Name:  vb2.png
Views: 210
Size:  4.5 KB

And This is the background I want:

Views: 160

The second background looks more professional and it will be changed according to the windows theme. How to get this background?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiq6210 View Post
    And This is the background I want:

Views: 160

The second background looks more professional and it will be changed according to the windows theme. How to get this background?
    You don't need to do anything special, just use a RadioButton set to Button style and let Windows do the rest as you have already shown in this screenshot. That way it looks professional conforming to the user's theme too.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    You don't need to do anything special, just use a RadioButton set to Button style and let Windows do the rest as you have already shown in this screenshot. That way it looks professional conforming to the user's theme too.
    Didn't know about this one. Just confirmed it and it is the best solution. Set the Appearance property of a RadioButton to Button.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

I was coming here to suggest this myself. For CheckBoxes and RadioButtons both, you can set the Appearance property to Button and then control will look exactly like a regular Button. When the Checked property is True, the control will look like a depressed Button, differentiating it from the others. That means that would want to handle the CheckedChanged event instead of the Click event and test that that Checked property was True. It also means that, if you wanted to be able to "unselect" the "button" you would need to uncheck the RadioButton, i.e. set its Checked property to False.

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Didn't know about this one. Just confirmed it and it is the best solution. Set the Appearance property of a RadioButton to Button.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I was coming here to suggest this myself. For CheckBoxes and RadioButtons both, you can set the Appearance property to Button and then control will look exactly like a regular Button. When the Checked property is True, the control will look like a depressed Button, differentiating it from the others. That means that would want to handle the CheckedChanged event instead of the Click event and test that that Checked property was True. It also means that, if you wanted to be able to "unselect" the "button" you would need to uncheck the RadioButton, i.e. set its Checked property to False.
    Great !
    I didn't know that I can use RadioButton as a button.
    I am trying to do this since 2 weeks using the codes, I cannot believe how simple is your solution. Absolutely, this is the best solution

It is working as a charm, thanks guys for your help and effort.

Thanks. I am looking something similar. I am still new to visual basic though. Hopefully, I can understand this.