dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is there any code to remove leading & trailing spaces from MS Access database table?

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is there any code to remove leading & trailing spaces from MS Access database table?

I am using MS Access database for entering data. One Table (tblSales) which contains 45 Fields with 2400 + records.
    This Table fields have the following properties:

AutoNumber: Long Integer
    Text: Text (Filed Size: 255; Format: @)
    Number: Long Integer
    Date/Time: Medium Date
    Currency: Standard

Randomly, there are some rows which contain text/values with some extra spaces (mistakenly it was entered). Checking one by one row with 45 columns is difficult. So, I would like to know whether is it possible to remove all extra spaces (leading and trailing) from the table rows in one go with code.

PowerPoster

Re: Is there any code to remove leading & trailing spaces from MS Access database tab

the TRIM function?

Code:
    UPDATE MyTable SET MyField=TRIM(MyField)

Hyperactive Member

Re: Is there any code to remove leading & trailing spaces from MS Access database tab

Thanks for the reply. One more query, please. Whether is it possible to remove the extra spaces between words as well? Because I found some data that has space in between words as well.
    Like: " Item No. 22 ( Pairs ) " to be "Item No. 22 (Pairs)"
    Last edited by VS2013; Jan 3rd, 2018 at 01:42 PM.

PowerPoster

That looks far too complicated as far as logic goes, so I wouldn't even attempt to code for all the scenarios you can come up with using SQL.
    However - If you could code the logic in VBA, you can make a custom user defined function in an Access VBA Module, which can be accessed only within MS Access. Custom UDF's (even some normal functions) are disabled outside of Access due to security issues. So you can't use them outside of access from say VB6 or VB.NET.

Module.bas
    Code:
    Public Function MyTrim(InParam) As String
        MyTrim = Trim(InParam)
        MyTrim = Replace(MyTrim, "( ", "(")
        MyTrim = Replace(MyTrim, " )", ")")
    End Function
    SQL
    Code:
    UPDATE MyTable SET MyField=MyTrim(MyField)