test1 	|	BabyPandah	|	Test	|	1	|
    ---------------------------------------------
    i want "test1" in the first column
    i want "BabyPandah" in the 2nd column
    i want "Test" in the 3th column
    i want "1" in 4th first column

Please comment, and thanks for ur help!

Re: How can i import text from .txt into datagridview

I would hope that what you showed isn't REALLY the text, is it? Do you really have text formatted like that with | symbols separating things? The formatting would have had to be done with loads of spaces or tabs, which will get in the way. The | symbol isn't as bad.

The ideal would be to be able to use ADO.NET to query the text file as if it were a database table, and by doing so, populate a datatable. That datatable could then be set as the datasource for the DGV. ADO.NET will query text files, but not ALL text files. It's great with CSV files, and it may be able to handle a file with | symbols separating items, but all those spaces would make for some ugly output. Therefore, I ask whether the text really looks like that?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Last edited by babypandah; Dec 21st, 2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I would hope that what you showed isn't REALLY the text, is it? Do you really have text formatted like that with | symbols separating things? The formatting would have had to be done with loads of spaces or tabs, which will get in the way. The | symbol isn't as bad.

The ideal would be to be able to use ADO.NET to query the text file as if it were a database table, and by doing so, populate a datatable. That datatable could then be set as the datasource for the DGV. ADO.NET will query text files, but not ALL text files. It's great with CSV files, and it may be able to handle a file with | symbols separating items, but all those spaces would make for some ugly output. Therefore, I ask whether the text really looks like that?
    it actually is, my export code is:
    Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

For i As Integer = 0 To DataGridView1.Rows.Count - 2 Step +1

For j As Integer = 0 To DataGridView1.Columns.Count - 1 Step +1

writer.Write(vbTab & DataGridView1.Rows(i).Cells(j).Value.ToString() & vbTab & "|")

Next

writer.WriteLine("")
                writer.WriteLine("---------------------------------------------")

Next
            writer.Close()
            MessageBox.Show("Data Exported")

End Sub
    But i would like to change it to a way it is easy to import again

I would encourage to implement an ADO.NET solution as Shaggy Hiker suggested, especially since you have control over how the data is exported. You can continue to use the pipe as a delimiter, but there is absolutely no reason to implement the dashes to separate the rows; after all shouldn't new lines represent a new row?

Take a look at this import/export code that converts the data from a pipe delimited text file to a DataTable and from a DataTable back to a pipe delimited text file:
    Code:
    Namespace DelimitedData

Public Module Convert

Public Function ToDataTable(ByVal path As String, ByVal delimiter As Char) As DataTable
                Dim dt As DataTable = New DataTable()
                Using con As OleDb.OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection()
                    Try
                        con.ConnectionString = $"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source={IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(path)};Extended Properties=""Text;HDR=YES;FMT=Delimited"""
                        Using cmd As OleDb.OleDbCommand = New OleDb.OleDbCommand($"SELECT * FROM {IO.Path.GetFileName(path)}", con)
                            Using da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(cmd)
                                con.Open()
                                da.Fill(dt)
                                con.Close()
                            End Using
                        End Using
                    Catch ex As Exception
                        Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString())
                    Finally
                        If con IsNot Nothing AndAlso con.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
                            con.Close()
                        End If
                    End Try
                End Using

Return dt
            End Function

Public Function ToDataTable(ByVal path As String, ByVal delimiter As Char, ByVal headers As Boolean) As DataTable
                Dim dt As DataTable = New DataTable()
                Using con As OleDb.OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection()
                    Try
                        con.ConnectionString = $"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source={IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(path)};Extended Properties=""Text;HDR={If(headers, "YES", "NO")};FMT=Delimited)"""
                        Using cmd As OleDb.OleDbCommand = New OleDb.OleDbCommand($"SELECT * FROM {IO.Path.GetFileName(path)}", con)
                            Using da As OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(cmd)
                                con.Open()
                                da.Fill(dt)
                                con.Close()
                            End Using
                        End Using
                    Catch ex As Exception
                        Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString())
                    Finally
                        If con IsNot Nothing AndAlso con.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
                            con.Close()
                        End If
                    End Try
                End Using

Return dt
            End Function

Public Sub ToTextFile(ByVal dt As DataTable, ByVal path As String, ByVal delimiter As Char)
                Dim builder As System.Text.StringBuilder = New System.Text.StringBuilder

'Append the column names
                builder.AppendLine(String.Join(delimiter.ToString(), dt.Columns.Cast(Of DataColumn).Select(Function(c) c.Caption.Replace(delimiter.ToString, "\" & delimiter))))

'Append each row/cell
                For Each row As DataRow In dt.Rows
                    builder.AppendLine(String.Join(delimiter.ToString, row.ItemArray.Select(Function(cell) cell.ToString.Replace(delimiter.ToString, "\" & delimiter))))
                Next

'Create the file
                IO.File.WriteAllText(path, builder.ToString)

'Create the ini file if it isn't a comma delimitted file too
                If delimiter <> ","c Then
                    IO.File.WriteAllLines(IO.Path.Combine(IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(path), "schema.ini"), {$"[{IO.Path.GetFileName(path)}]", $"Format = Format=Delimited({delimiter.ToString})"})
                End If
            End Sub

Public Sub ToTextFile(ByVal dt As DataTable, ByVal path As String, ByVal delimiter As Char, ByVal headers As Boolean)
                Dim builder As System.Text.StringBuilder = New System.Text.StringBuilder

If headers Then
                    'Append the column names
                    builder.AppendLine(String.Join(delimiter.ToString(), dt.Columns.Cast(Of DataColumn).Select(Function(c) c.Caption.Replace(delimiter.ToString, "\" & delimiter))))
                End If

'Append each row/cell
                For Each row As DataRow In dt.Rows
                    builder.AppendLine(String.Join(delimiter.ToString, row.ItemArray.Select(Function(cell) cell.ToString.Replace(delimiter.ToString, "\" & delimiter))))
                Next

'Create the file
                IO.File.WriteAllText(path, builder.ToString)

If delimiter <> ","c Then
                    IO.File.WriteAllLines(IO.Path.Combine(IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(path), "schema.ini"), {$"[{IO.Path.GetFileName(path)}]", $"Format = Format=Delimited({delimiter.ToString})"})
                End If
            End Sub

End Module

End Namespace
    Here is how it could be used in a Windows Form Application with two Buttons and a DataGridView:
    Code:
    Public Class Form1

Private dt As DataTable
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Using ofd As OpenFileDialog = New OpenFileDialog
                With ofd
                    .Filter = "Text Files|*.txt"
                    .InitialDirectory = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.DesktopDirectory)
                    .Multiselect = False
                    .RestoreDirectory = True

If ofd.ShowDialog = DialogResult.OK Then
                        dt = DelimitedData.Convert.ToDataTable(ofd.FileName, "|"c, True)
                        Dim bs As New BindingSource With {.DataSource = dt}
                        DataGridView1.DataSource = bs
                    End If
                End With
            End Using
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Using sfd As SaveFileDialog = New SaveFileDialog
                With sfd
                    .Filter = "Text Files|*.txt"
                    .InitialDirectory = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.DesktopDirectory)
                    .RestoreDirectory = True

If sfd.ShowDialog = DialogResult.OK Then
                        DelimitedData.Convert.ToTextFile(dt, sfd.FileName, "|"c, True)
                    End If
                End With
            End Using
        End Sub
    End Class
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I'd say that the question comes down to whether you want to be able to go into the text file and look at the data that way, or even edit the data that way. If you really don't care about seeing the data in the text file, and how the text file looks, there is a much easier way than even the ADO.NET approach. If the DGV was bound to a datatable such that the DGV was really just displaying the contents of the table, then you could read/write the datatable to an XML file with ReadXML/WriteXML. That's much easier, but it results in an XML file. XML files are just plain text, so you can see them with any text editor like Word, NotePad, or whatever you wanted to use. However, the file would be XML, which would mean that there's be a lot of 'extra' stuff in the file as to the rows, columns, and fields. You could still edit it, just not as easily, cause you wouldn't want to change any of the XML tags. It would make the reading and writing SUPER easy, though.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing