Thread: Situational Judgement Test Questions

Banned

Situational Judgement Test Questions

a lot of work places require the work seekers to answer SJT questions "correctly" in order to get the job. basically it tests how well one can lie.

at any rate, this thread is about SJT questions and what answers do they expect.

here are some SJT I want answered :

if a coworker you know abuses drugs outside of work hours what should you do ?

are all managers fair ?

if you see a coworker drink an unpaid bottle of water what should you do ?

if another company offered you a position with more money would you take it or request a pay raise ?

if your manager smoked drugs at work should you report him or talk to him about it ?

if you see a customer stealing should you report to your manager, or do you stop the customer ?

if a customer is using bad language towards you what do you do ?

Re: Situational Judgement Test Questions

Quote Originally Posted by bugsi View Post
    No drugs should have to put up with abuse. Take the drugs away from the coworker and get them to somebody who will appreciate them for what they are.

are all managers fair ?
    No. Some have dark hair, dark skin or are otherwise not considered fair.
    I have no idea. All of our bottles of water are volunteers.
    if another company offered you a position with more money would you take it or request a pay raise ?
    I would suggest a cage-match between the two companies.
    if your manager smoked drugs at work should you report him or talk to him about it ?
    You should insist that they share. Nobody wants a selfish manager. On the other hand, if these were the poor, abused, drugs you took away from your coworker, then you should talk to your manager to make sure that they sufficiently respect and appreciate the drugs.
    if you see a customer stealing should you report to your manager, or do you stop the customer ?
    Neither one. You should stuff that customer so full of merchandise that they can barely move. Then you should make them drink several bottles of unpaid water while giving them hits off your managers pipe until they have an urgent need to use the facilities and no capacity to do so. You should then video tape them.

After the way I treated them in that last question? Heck, I'd be shocked if they DIDN'T use bad language towards me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Get the hell out of there after I fill up my pockets!

are all managers fair ?
    If they're under me? Yes...

Make sure he/she recycles.

Think I'll answer this question before I'm hired? Duh!

Plant more drugs on him that I took from my coworker, then report him.

I would relive my college days, tackling said customer into a shelf of bananas.

Tackle this customer into a shelf of bananas!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 18th, 2017 at 05:28 PM.

I realize that bananas have appeal, but oranges would also work.

Banned

yeah funny, but I'm asking what answers do the employers want

yeah funny, but I'm asking what answers do the employers want
    For that you would have to ask their "HR" department personnel.

I think one reason you are getting the type of responses you did is that most of us would think twice about wanting to work for a company that asked these questions in the first place.

Possibly getting funny responses because this is in chit chat. If you want real professional answers then perhaps a real thread in general developer perhaps?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Neither one. You should stuff that customer so full of merchandise that they can barely move. Then you should make them drink several bottles of unpaid water while giving them hits off your managers pipe until they have an urgent need to use the facilities and no capacity to do so. You should then video tape them.
    You forgot the add to post the viedo on youtube and extort money ffrom said employee to take it down
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Banned

maybe I'll just go there and hide an open can of Sauerkraut

Find out where he got it and ask if he'll share

are all managers fair ?
    Nope. Some are down right ugly. Others are more than fair.

Fill it with tap water and help reseal the lid.

I'm taking the money and running.

I'd talk to them and find out if they brought enough to share with the whole team.

Considering that the manager is smoking drugs, and the coworkers are abusing drugs, I'd help the customer.

Correct it so that he's using good language. No one likes that PERL crap anyways.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I realize that bananas have appeal, but oranges would also work.
    Right... and as we roll off the shelf, I could make his faceplant into the floor look like an accident.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Really i want to know if their drugs are better then the drugs i have already got before i make a decision

are all managers fair ?

Is this a trick question? what has it got to do with drugs?

Is this because of the drugs they have been taking? as that might be an indicator of there quality!

Clearly my current company is fine with all the drugs i am taking so i would want to make sure my new employer had the same liberal attitude

What do you mean If?

I am as high as a kite i barely even noticed there was a customer there

see above
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Q. If a coworker you know abuses drugs outside of work hours what should you do?
    A. There are too many variables to answer this question in a straightforward manner, so instead I'll give you the variables that I'd consider on if the answer would be "I'd get them help". 1) am I confident that they actually have a drug problem? 2) do I care about the coworker? 3) am I comfortable enough with the coworker to make this type of recommendation? 4) am I comfortable with losing my current relationship with the coworker should the conversation take a turn for the worse?

Q. Are all managers fair?
    A. I believe that managers justify in their minds that they are being fair, however since fair is subjective in the first place then this question is misguided.

Q. If you see a coworker drink an unpaid bottle of water what should you do?
    A. If it were my bottle of water then I'd tell them not to do it again and they would lose my trust. If it is not my bottle of water, then who cares?

Q. If another company offered you a position with more money would you take it or request a pay raise?
    A. I'm self-employed, if I want a pay raise then all I need to do is sell more or hire somebody to sell more than I pay them.

Q. If your manager smoked drugs at work should you report him or talk to him about it?
    A. I'd immediately fire that manager.

Q. If you see a customer stealing should you report to your manager, or do you stop the customer?
    A. If a customer is stealing from my business, then they're either trying to perform insurance fraud or they're sticking us up. In the case of the former, I'm reporting it to the adjuster and letting claims handle it. In the case of the latter, I'm giving them the money!

Q. If a customer is using bad language towards you what do you do?
    A. It really all depends. I've been called ever name under the sun in this business, but it all depends on the situation. If someone is arguing with me over something that is our fault, then I let them vent and try to correct the situation. If someone is arguing with me over something that genuinely believe that it is our fault (even though it may not be), I still let them vent, but I let them know that if they continue that I'll suggest that they contact the 1-800 number and that I'll hang up on them. If someone just wants to be a butt because "insurance ain't like it was 25 years ago" then I let them know out the gate to contact the 1-800 number and then I hang up.

These are some interesting questions, made me think a little bit.
    Last edited by dday9; Dec 19th, 2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: they're not their
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

You don't want to know.

I feel like these are definitely the wrong questions to study if you're preparing for a job interview? Most of them come down to, "If you see one of your fellow employees commit a crime or violate the company policy, what do I do?"

If you need a study guide to know what a company wants you to say, you're not going to make it past the technical interview at all.

I'd be really concerned, as an interviewee, about a company that asks these kinds of questions at the interview. My question for them would be, "Why are you more concerned about whether your employees report ethics violations than whether your employees meet talent criteria for the job?"

Pro tip: your employee handbook and employment contract is likely set up to make it clear it is your job to protect the company's reputation.

The only real concern here is whistleblowers are often punished just as hard as the scapegoats who "let it happen without reporting". The only winning move is "don't work in places that have employees who routinely violate ethics".
    Last edited by Sitten Spynne; Dec 19th, 2017 at 11:08 AM.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

I use a variation of these questions, only I was taught to call them behavioral questions. Things like:
    • What makes you think that you can sell?
    • Which is more important to you, being respected or liked?
    • Describe what a leader is to you.
    • Which is more important to you, winning, impressing others, pleasing others, or helping others?

These answers to these types of questions will let me know if they're better suited for sales or service, or if they're even a fit for my office.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

If I am his dealer then I would do nothing.

are all managers fair ?

No, they go by who pays them the most in bribes.

Refill it with pure alcohol and watch him get drunk and fired at work.

I would tell the second company that my first company head about their offer and countered with more money. Get the highest offer I could and then take it.

As long as he was doing it in a designated smoking zone then its all good.

I would video record the act, send it to him and black mail him not to post it for as much money as I can get.

Correct his grammar and enlighten him on the correct way to speak. Its better to teach a man to fish than to feed him for a day. "Take that yo foo!"

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

My only serious answer to this is that there is no good answer to most of those questions. There certainly isn't a right answer. For example, the first one depends entirely on both your relationship with the other person and your relationship with the company...and how the company operates. How could you possibly know the answer to those things in a hypothetical? What are they really getting at? A friend of mine worked at an advertising agency where everybody was stoned by noon every day. Such a company would be asking to find out if you were a narc. Other companies might be asking to find out if you'd be a snitch for them to leverage people. Others may be asking just to find out where your moral compass points. Still more may not be really caring about the answer so much as how you get to it.

If I was asked those questions, I'd probably just laugh and go elsewhere.

Here are some more practice questions for you:

Interviewer: How do you feel about ditching this interview and going out for a drink instead?

Interviewer: Would you mind giving me a twirl?

Interviewer: Why is it ok to eat chicken, but not cat?

Interviewer: Have you ever seen a ghost?

Interviewer: Do you think I’m ugly?

Interviewer: If you were starving to death on a desert island, would you eat a human being?

Interviewer: What kind of birth control do you use?

Interviewer: How do you feel about garden gnomes?

Interviewer: How would you hide a dead body?

Interviewer: Did you just see the way she looked at me (about the boss)?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

1) if a coworker you know abuses drugs outside of work hours what should you do ?
    As long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to do their job, what someone does outside of work hours is really none of your business.

2) are all managers fair ?
    Please elaborate - fair in what respect?

3) if you see a coworker drink an unpaid bottle of water what should you do ?
    If this happened at work, have a quiet word with them. Outside of work see answer 1).

4) if another company offered you a position with more money would you take it or request a pay raise ?
    Request a pay rise to show loyalty to the company and also that you are in-demand.

5) if your manager smoked drugs at work should you report him or talk to him about it ?
    Report this to HR - otherwise it could seem like blackmail.

6) if you see a customer stealing should you report to your manager, or do you stop the customer ?
    You have a word with the customer whilst alerting the manager.

7) if a customer is using bad language towards you what do you do ?
    If you are offended then have a quiet word and say you don't like it - otherwise ignore it.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Since nicotine is a drug, #5 could be considered a trick question. After all, smoking drugs at work is still allowed for some drugs in some workplaces.

a lot of work places require the work seekers to answer SJT questions "correctly" in order to get the job. basically it tests how well one can lie.

at any rate, this thread is about SJT questions and what answers do they expect.

here are some SJT I want answered :
    Lemme try too...

I rolled up the weed for my coworkers who smoked, in my last job.

are all managers fair ?
    No, my last manager was dark.

Learn survival skills fom him/her.

Take it. Then request a pay raise.

He wouldn't be in a position to talk while he smoked, right? So the only option left is to report him.

Depends on who the customer is stealing from.

That's my karma, I probably sold the customer a bad product or service.
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Banned

20% of the questions were if I am pro stealing the rest were do I have a history of sexual harassment or have I been suspected of a crime or interigated by the police, the next day the manager asked if I have aids, then I got the job

That's a pretty weird interview, and those are pretty weird questions. Asking about a criminal record is more common, but asking about being suspected....that's bizarre. As for being pro stealing, or have a history of sexual harassment....who would answer yes?

Banned

I guess the actual test is to see how much patience you have for their stupid requests, or maybe they like good liers

asked if I have aids - then I got the job
    What was the answer

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    What was the answer

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

...the next day the manager asked if I have aids, then I got the job
    Aids?

Sounds like you applied for a position within the medical or porn industry.

With those questions above, I 'd be watching my back if I was you.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 31st, 2017 at 07:49 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Since your a fellow Raider fan I wont tell how old that reference it.

Poor Del Rio got screwed, I'm pretty sure he's not the dumb ass that let our offensive coordinator leave and he's not the defensive coach.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post

Poor Del Rio got screwed, I'm pretty sure he's not the dumb ass that let our offensive coordinator leave and he's not the defensive coach.
    The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.

John Grueden is back as coach for the Raiders

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    John Grueden is back as coach for the Raiders
    It's going to take me a while to adjust to that, I still have a lot anger over the fact he coached the team that beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl. But turning the Raiders back into a champion caliper team would probably speed up the forgiveness process.

But turning the Raiders back into a champion caliper team would probably speed up the forgiveness process.
    Well....at least they'll be able to measure their progress.

It's going to take me a while to adjust to that, I still have a lot anger over the fact he coached the team that beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl. But turning the Raiders back into a champion caliper team would probably speed up the forgiveness process.
    I prefer to think of it as he took Tony Dungy's team to the super bowl before he let the franchise crash and burn...

King of sapila

Back to the original topic.
    I saw an interview paper in one of the biggest multi national insurance companies, except the drugs part (Dutch based companies probably have usage of drugs by default ) . So lets see what was going on in my mind(drug question excluded back then so I'll answer now)...

--
    (put out "cigar". Oh sorry, I've putted it out, you want me to fix you a swisher?
    What was the question?Ahh yeah ok ok. I would do, something. Or do not. Or something, sorry, confused right now...
    --
    are all managers fair ?
    No!I 'mean Yes!I mean No!I mean Yes!,I mean No! Pfff 3 managers to go.. I mean YES!Imean NO!,I me...Sorry confused before, right now.
    --
    Yeah like following him outside of the company and into the bakery and stuff my face into the water selling machine.
    What brand?Pitt? I mean, sorry confused right before right now.
    --
    I take gold. I mean can you see the ratios for gold to Euro. Are we still in Euro? What company?Do they abuse drugs? Sorry sorry not confused but still right now from before.Go on...
    --
    Hey Jim (Actually I knew the manager). How about a little weed (throwing friendly bad language in dutch at me )? You don't mean that manager right? And you are?
    Sorry the question....43, I mean 44, I mean, the thing, the question.They need the answer.And stuff.Sorry. Not sorry....Sorry that I'm not sorry. I did not pay for the water on the cooler.Is it free? You only smoke drugs here?What you're noseless?
    --
    Actually, funny story. I did not steal that. I borrow...Oh you mean a customer. Yeah of course. I will.....What do you mean what will you?Me not you! No...No ME! M-E! NOT YOU.What the...
    Sorry I was not confused in the previous question so let's double confuse here....BbbbbbbfffffConsfuuuseeddd! ?Neext!
    --

I would kill the son of....I mean. The customer is always right. Confused give him a little weed and a stolen bottle of water and with some 42 you will end up on the right path, the path of rightness the path of good the path of weedd....Errr I have to go meet Jim (the manager) right now. Funny story, we smoked weed before and stole stuff from the bakery and abused the customers and got their money, lets call that a raise.

Hmm, OK , wrong door, I'm working here...Ahh the drugs..Ahhhh sorry Samantha , carry on, good job!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·