Thread: MSMASK32.OCX - Object library not registered

MSMASK32.OCX - Object library not registered

I'm trying to add MSMASK32.OCX control to my components list but I keep getting "Object library not registered". I've tried registering and unregistering using both regtlibv12 from Microsoft.NET path as well as Regsvr32 from SysWOW64. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Sorry, I'm not too well versed in VB6 so I will try my best to provide additional information if needed. I'm on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1.

Re: MSMASK32.OCX - Object library not registered

Quote Originally Posted by ShintaNoob View Post
    I'm trying to add MSMASK32.OCX control to my components list but I keep getting "Object library not registered". I've tried registering and unregistering using both regtlibv12 from Microsoft.NET path as well as Regsvr32 from SysWOW64. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Sorry, I'm not too well versed in VB6 so I will try my best to provide additional information if needed. I'm on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1.
    I forgot to add, this was all done running the commands in an admin cmd.

Hi ShintaNoob,

Welcome to VBForums. Personally, I've never used the MSMASK32.OCX, but I've used lots of other OCX libraries. To my eyes, you're on the correct track by trying ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShintaNoob View Post
    as well as Regsvr32 from SysWOW64.
    I did a quick Google, and this webpage also seems to have some possibly good information. It makes it sound as if mscomctl and/or mscomctl32 might get involved. Also, it's always a good idea to possibly download a fresh copy of the file from Microsoft and register that.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Assuming you have a full legal copy of VB6 (there is no such thing as a free "Portable Edition" which is pirated warez) then if you are seeing this error VB6 was probably never installed properly.

It is pretty rare for a problem to arise that requires manually registering these OCXs supplied with VB6.

It is also a poor idea to try to develop on Windows 7. It has several issues that were never fixed until Windows 8 and never will be fixed on Windows 7. Move to Windows 10, the world has left Win7 behind.

MSMASK32.OCX is not dependent upon other OCXs. Just look at the MSMASK32.DEP file to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Hi ShintaNoob,

Welcome to VBForums. Personally, I've never used the MSMASK32.OCX, but I've used lots of other OCX libraries. To my eyes, you're on the correct track by trying ...

I did a quick Google, and this webpage also seems to have some possibly good information. It makes it sound as if mscomctl and/or mscomctl32 might get involved. Also, it's always a good idea to possibly download a fresh copy of the file from Microsoft and register that.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Thank you for your reply! I forgot to mention that I also successfully registered mscomctl. However, mscomctl32 seems be missing from both SysWOW64 and System32.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Assuming you have a full legal copy of VB6 (there is no such thing as a free "Portable Edition" which is pirated warez) then if you are seeing this error VB6 was probably never installed properly.

It is pretty rare for a problem to arise that requires manually registering these OCXs supplied with VB6.

It is also a poor idea to try to develop on Windows 7. It has several issues that were never fixed until Windows 8 and never will be fixed on Windows 7. Move to Windows 10, the world has left Win7 behind.

MSMASK32.OCX is not dependent upon other OCXs. Just look at the MSMASK32.DEP file to see that.
    It's most certainly a legal copy as I work for a company with strict guidelines. I don't know how they installed it because of a new system we're implementing that is messing with my admin rights to my workstation. I left it up to configuration management to install VB6 on a completely new work station. The documentation for the application I'm working on states Windows 7 Professional as part of the build requirements.

So you believe MSMASK32.OCX was somehow corrupted during the installation of VB6?

PowerPoster

I suspect that the installation was not run properly. If both phases of the install are not run elevated then you can have all sorts of issues with filesystem and registry virtualization for the installing user.

The VB6.exe program must also be set to always run elevated or further chaos will ensue. Either use a manifest, or a set of appcompat shims (even using the properties dialog to choose "run as an administrator" is good enough to apply the elevation shim).

I suspect that the installation was not run properly. If both phases of the install are not run elevated then you can have all sorts of issues with filesystem and registry virtualization for the installing user.

The VB6.exe program must also be set to always run elevated or further chaos will ensue. Either use a manifest, or a set of appcompat shims (even using the properties dialog to choose "run as an administrator" is good enough to apply the elevation shim).
    I spoke with configuration management and they installed VB6 using admin. I'm also running VB6 in admin each time I start it up. I'm scouring the internet for recommendations and not getting much feedback. Would manually pulling the MSMASK32.ocx off the disk be a good idea?

PowerPoster

The VS/VB 6.0 installers do not request elevation so even running them with an Administrators account is not enough. Same for VB6.exe itself.

These need to be explicitly run elevated or they don't work properly.

Fiddling around trying to copy and manually register bits and pieces is not the answer. Even if you do this you need to run regsvr32 with elevated privileges.

If VB6 had been properly installed you wouldn't be running into these things. There are probably many more landmines just waiting for you to trigger them.

The VS/VB 6.0 installers do not request elevation so even running them with an Administrators account is not enough. Same for VB6.exe itself.

These need to be explicitly run elevated or they don't work properly.

Fiddling around trying to copy and manually register bits and pieces is not the answer. Even if you do this you need to run regsvr32 with elevated privileges.

If VB6 had been properly installed you wouldn't be running into these things. There are probably many more landmines just waiting for you to trigger them.
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll speak with the CM team. Thank you!