View Poll Results: who is the bigger failure ?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • xamarin

2 50.00%
  • asp.net MVC

1 25.00%
  • else

1 25.00%

Thread: which is the bigger failure ? xamarin VS asp.net MVC

Banned

which is the bigger failure ? xamarin VS asp.net MVC

in this thread we are going to thoroughly roast those 2 awful products

Re: which is the bigger failure ? xamarin VS asp.net MVC

But you can only vote for 1.........
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster

And there are other, more significant travesties like .Net itself: the misbegotten creature that spawned both of these as well as so many other problems of Microsoft today.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsi View Post
    So what makes you consider these things a failure then?

I don't think either one is a failure. ASP.NET now means enough different things that I don't even know what fits under that umbrella anymore. Meanwhile, Xamarin has some significant flaws, but the very worst of them is the poor documentation. MS does documentation, so if all MS does with Xamarin is document it well, that may be enough to make Xamarin considerably more usable than it currently is. This version of Xamarin....isn't great. However, the next version might be.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Banned

I can't really be bothered watching a 16 minute youtube video about this, why do *you* think these products are a failure? What have you done with them that hasn't worked, been difficult etc.

You don't want to know.

A poor craftsman blames his tools.

So far all I've seen out of your posts is a relentless desire for someone else to provide something you can copy-paste with zero thought. If it doesn't work, or if you have to display any initiative yourself, you declare it the product's fault.

The thing you wanted to do in Android is a thing Android doesn't support. I showed you several articles discussing a workaround, most with examples. I never saw any evidence you even tried them, you just flailed your arms around and screamed "Xamarin is stupid".

So I suggest you go use whatever the heck it is you think is better and let us all have the wool pulled over our eyes.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Guys, don't fall for this. Judging from his post history, bugsi is simply frustrated at failing to solve an Android related problem in Xamarin. His view is heavily biased by his negative experience. This thread is him just lashing out.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    And there are other, more significant travesties like .Net itself: the misbegotten creature that spawned both of these as well as so many other problems of Microsoft today.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

You don't want to know.

Actually shoot, I thought you quoted the same person twice.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    Actually shoot, I thought you quoted the same person twice.
    lol....I just couldn't help poking at Dilettante a bit. He often enjoys lambasting MS when topics like this come up.

Banned

proove me wrong and solve it then.

lol.....either you're a very young person or some alt-right manchild. Either way you've just proven with that post that your capacity for logical, critical and objective thinking is severely diminished or in the case of an actual child, haven't developed yet. Either way, any attempt to help you, debate you or have any sensible discussion with you on this topic is utterly meaningless.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    lol.....either you're a very young person or some alt-right manchild. Either way you've just proven with that post that your capacity for logical, critical and objective thinking is severely diminished or in the case of an actual child, haven't developed yet. Either way, any attempt to help you, debate you or have any sensible discussion with you on this topic is utterly meaningless.
    well you sound like a feminist, and you can't argue with me because I'm right.

You don't want to know.

Wow that's pretty ironic. I'm pretty sure I got in trouble once for calling Niya a misogynist, partially for using "feminist" as an insult. Now he's the level-headed one, but the both of you bickering back and forth isn't really productive.

Neither is trying to answer your question further. I linked to documentation and suggestions but you were too busy throwing your toys around the room screaming to try it. I know it works in Xamarin Forms. I could whip that up in 5 minutes. But it took 10 posts to figure out you were using JUST Xamarin.Android.

So I could spend 2 hours teaching myself enough to spend 3-5 hours writing a tutorial, or I could go home and drink margaritas until I think I'm a unicorn. Sometimes, I feel like if I do all that work the other person will make it all worth it. This isn't one of those times.

There's gonna be sparkles.

or I could go home and drink margaritas until I think I'm a unicorn.
    There's a joke I could make about that, but I might have to ban myself afterwards.

but the both of you bickering back and forth isn't really productive.
    In any other part of the forum this would be true, but this is Chit Chat, home of the banal, unproductive, exciting, provoking, fun and sometimes insane manifestations of the idle mind.

Nice try there bro. I'm a damn troll myself so I know when I'm dealing with one. Go back to Stormfront lmao.

Banned

Wow that's pretty ironic. I'm pretty sure I got in trouble once for calling Niya a misogynist, partially for using "feminist" as an insult. Now he's the level-headed one, but the both of you bickering back and forth isn't really productive.

Neither is trying to answer your question further. I linked to documentation and suggestions but you were too busy throwing your toys around the room screaming to try it. I know it works in Xamarin Forms. I could whip that up in 5 minutes. But it took 10 posts to figure out you were using JUST Xamarin.Android.

So I could spend 2 hours teaching myself enough to spend 3-5 hours writing a tutorial, or I could go home and drink margaritas until I think I'm a unicorn. Sometimes, I feel like if I do all that work the other person will make it all worth it. This isn't one of those times.

There's gonna be sparkles.
    c'mon man tell me how you got it to work, what do you mean "using JUST Xamarin.Android." what do I need to add ? where are the working documentations ?

So, you can make a bald assertion and if we don't prove you wrong then you are right? Yeah... no. That's not really how it works. If you have nothing to back up the assertion in the first place then why would we think that there's anything worth disproving?

When someone says that you can't engage in logical and reasonable debate and that's your response, you're really just making their case for them. Why don't you just respond with "I know you are but what am I" and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    So, you can make a bald assertion and if we don't prove you wrong then you are right?
    Sounds kind of hairy to me.

c'mon man tell me how you got it to work, what do you mean "using JUST Xamarin.Android." what do I need to add ? where are the working documentations ?
    If you don'r even know the difference between Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.Forms then you really don't know enough about the tools you are trying to use to be able to call them a failure. You don't even seem to have put forth any actual reasons or even mentioned MVC issues here. Not sure what your problem with either technology is.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    If you don'r even know the difference between Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.Forms then you really don't know enough about the tools you are trying to use to be able to call them a failure. You don't even seem to have put forth any actual reasons or even mentioned MVC issues here. Not sure what your problem with either technology is.
    He gave up on trying to solve this. He is just releasing his anger at being unable to solve it by trolling the forums.

Banned

I see the solution now, it will take me about 1.5 years but, I will end this failure called xamarin.

I am no great fan of Xamarin, but I covered that earlier. However, in 1.5 years, MS will either make Xamarin much better, or cancel it. You needed stir yourself. Either way, MS will do it for you.

Banned

knowing MS, it is probable they will build upon the rotten foundation xamarin, just like they couldn't let go of Silverlight.
    they fail to understand there is a user at the other side of the product.

MS marketing xamarin and it's byproducts is like lego marketing the lego death star without the build manual.
    it's like a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces.

You don't want to know.

So go be successful with something else? There's no shortage of platforms.

Banned

yes, but it is not enough, it has become personnal

Poll: who is the bigger failure?
    I'm sure I wouldn't be banned for answering this here...

Hi, bugsi!

yes, but it is not enough, it has become personnal
    bugsi, when things become personal, laugh at yourself... alot. This helps personally. Also, your neighbors might help ya out by calling nice men in white coats, which is perfect because of the free medication they'll give ya! Woo-hoo!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Dec 17th, 2017 at 05:15 AM.

If you read the book on Battle Programming, there's a chapter on how to destroy companies you don't like. Might be a tall order, in this case, though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    If you read the book on Battle Programming, there's a chapter on how to destroy companies you don't like. Might be a tall order, in this case, though.
    he hasn't released a new version in a long while, has he

Not that I have seen.