dcsimg

Thread: Desktop gadgets

Desktop gadgets

Hi Guys
    How can i show and hide the Gadgets win7
    in vb.net

Re: Desktop gadgets

What are gadgets?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    What are gadgets?
    As I recall, they are applets that are pinned to the desktop, much like widgets on an Android device. It's been a while but I thought that they'd died before Windows 7 but I guess not.

How do you hide and show them through Windows? That might provide a clue. If there's a hotkey then you may be able to use SendKeys.Send. Otherwise, perhaps there's a Windows API function that does it. There's definitely nothing dedicated in managed code.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

You don't want to know.

It's possible there isn't and never was an API to hide or show gadgets. There are many things Microsoft explicitly decided are user settings and user settings only. When that happens, sometimes some people go spelunking and find registry keys or other arcane mechanisms to change it. In general, if it's a Windows setting and there's no API you shouldn't.

Not to mention Desktop Gadgets made their last appearance in Windows 7, which is no longer supported. It's not exactly an exciting thing to reverse engineer.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.