Thread: Time to upgrade from VB6 but to what?

Time to upgrade from VB6 but to what?

Sorry if tis isn't in the right forum, new to this forum!

I do some occasional programming and have been working with Visual Basic 6 in a virtual XP environment. I want to upgrade to something but not sure what is best to go for. Visual Studio would be the obvious choice, but what package should I go for? There seem to be different levels to this with vastly different costs and I can't seem to find much info about it all, just links to download the trial version.

Thanks!

Re: Time to upgrade from VB6 but to what?

Welcome to VBForums

There are many different options, but moving to VB.Net (VB 2002 and later, as included in Visual Studio (after VS 6, which included VB6)) is a sensible choice... but some people recommend using C# instead (also in VS) so that you are less likely to re-use VB6 concepts that are no longer the best way to do things.

In terms of which edition of Visual Studio, if you just program as a hobby then the free Community edition is very likely to suit your needs (if not, after using it for a while you will at least know more about what features you need). If it is for work then the licence for the Community edition might exclude you (I think it depends on company size), but you may feel it is better to pay extra to get features that would save some time.

Hi - Thanks.

Most likely I would use if for work, so I may have to look at the paid versions.

Looking around there seems to be enterprise and professional editions, amongst others. Any advice about which package to look at?

Before you spend any money read the Visual Studio license agreement: https://www.visualstudio.com/license-terms/mlt553321/

You may qualify to use the Community Edition even for work. I know many people who do. But if you don't go for the Pro version. Enterprise costs a lot more and the extra features it has are not really useful for individual developers.

I agree, the Pro edition is all you'd be needing for pretty nearly anything. I've looked at Enterprise, I just can't see anything there that I care about, especially not for the money. The CE edition is essentially the Pro edition...with perhaps one added annoyance. It seems like you need to be able to connect periodically for the CE edition to keep renewing the (free) temporary license. I'm not sure about that, since I moved to Pro pretty early.

The rules around CE are fairly permissive as to who can use it legally, but there are a few carve-outs that can catch you, so it's worth reading up on.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Understanding Visual Studio Community Edition license discusses some of the license terms issues. it might be a little out of date, so check the current license terms.

PowerPoster

Once you get away from VB6 and Visual Studio good IDEs are slim pickings. Delphi is still popular with a core group of users but I'm not sure its IDE ever was as good for UI design.

Aside from those, good UI design support gets a lot thinner. Most reduce you to "dark world" coding, barely more than a bare text editor that can invoke a make script. Great if you are writing command line programs or web server scripts, but not a lot more. Often there is a plethora of loosely integrated 3rd Party IDEs and widget toolkits. Development costs go up, support can become a nightmare.

But if you are not doing desktop GUI development then more options are viable.

Just be sure to try before you buy. This can be tough because if you don't know a language, its ecosystem, etc. how can you do a fair evaluation?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    It seems like you need to be able to connect periodically for the CE edition to keep renewing the (free) temporary license. I'm not sure about that, since I moved to Pro pretty early.
    I did download CE edition about a year ago, just to take a look. I didn't get round to doing anything with it and next time I opened the software, it said my licence had expired, so this explains that!

Thanks for the advice all - that's just what I needed - a bit of direction. I'll read the regs on the CE version, but I will also ask work if they will pay for the Pro version!

No doubt, I'll be back soon, trying to work out how to use it as I'm sure its very different to VB6!!

If you move away from VS, I would suggest you check the debugging capabilities available as VS is very strong in this area. If you're developing programs of any complexity, you're going to spend time debugging and a good debugger is worth its weight!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Any advice where to look to to get a copy of VS Pro? Searches keep bringing me back to Microsoft site with links to download trial version. How much would I expect to pay? And would that be a yearly cost or a one off licence.

try this link. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sear...=visual+studio

If you search the web for Visual Studio 2017 professional you can get it for quite a bit cheaper.
    Last edited by 2kaud; Nov 9th, 2017 at 05:25 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

You don't want to know.

Exactly what kind of applications are you looking to write? VB is good at certain kinds of applications, and if you're going to have to learn a new environment it's worth considering others if they might fit your needs better.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeH View Post
    I did download CE edition about a year ago, just to take a look. I didn't get round to doing anything with it and next time I opened the software, it said my licence had expired, so this explains that!

That's exactly why I moved to Pro: That expiration appears to be monthly, or at least it was for me. I wasn't using 2017 that often on that system, so that got old REAL fast.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's exactly why I moved to Pro: That expiration appears to be monthly, or at least it was for me. I wasn't using 2017 that often on that system, so that got old REAL fast.
    You need to have a Microsoft account and sign into it from VS when you register the product (Help/Register). If you do Help/About/Licence Status you should be able to sign in with you account details to activate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    Exactly what kind of applications are you looking to write? VB is good at certain kinds of applications, and if you're going to have to learn a new environment it's worth considering others if they might fit your needs better.
    Hi,

Sorry for the very slow reply. I am looking at this again. I am looking to write a simple program to store data in a database and call on it when needed, but it would need a nice UI, as it would be for our companies customers to use.

Am I correct in thinking with VS 2017 you can link to an SQL database?

I am going to sort out which package to buy. What is the main difference between the subscription (£1,378 then £918 to renew) and just buying the version (£573). The subscription lasts a year I guess?! Is it that the subscription, you get access to the extra stuff and probably updates etc.

Subscription gives you access to new releases during the time of the subscription. The bought version just gives you updates to the bought version.

This link also shows the other benefits from a subscription. https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/pricing/ You'll need to decide whether the extra benefits provided by a subscription offer value for money in your situation.

Thanks, that helpful.

Do you know if the bought version gives the ability to use a SQL database connection (and ability to include in installation packages). It mentions a server licence, so perhaps it does.

Any version/edition of VS that can create a VB project will enable you to connect to a SQL Server database. SQL Server Express is free and can support databases up to 10 GB.

Great. Thanks for all the advice!