Thread: unreliable serial port comunications

unreliable serial port comunications

Im trying to send some information over a serial port to an ardiuno , I had the whole porbgram working perfectly but now it only works some times. I beleive the problem lies in the following code

SerialPort1.Write("w")
    SerialPort1.Write(textbox1.Text)
    SerialPort1.Write("\n")

Is this an acceptable way to write to serial , it seems to work but only sometimes, If i send the same nubers to the arduino with a serial monitor is responds as expected so it must be the way it is set here.
    Is there any other possibilities

Re: unreliable serial port comunications

Don't see a problem with the code. You might consider constructing the string and using WriteLine, like this
    Code:
            Dim s As String = "w" & TextBox1.Text
            SerialPort1.WriteLine(s)
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

If I add a 500 ms delay using a while loop after the serial writes it seems to work. but this doesn't seem like a real solution and like it might have issues later.

Quote Originally Posted by simon100 View Post
    If I add a 500 ms delay using a while loop after the serial writes it seems to work. but this doesn't seem like a real solution and like it might have issues later.
    Make certain that you have the same setup at both ends of the port. This could be an issue with the Ardiuno end.

After you do the write are you closing the port? Are you using flow control?
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

A serial port has a max baud rate and if i rember rite from my schooling, its a one way street... in the sence only one can speak on the line. So if you send something while the other is responding to you first message, the messages will all be lost.
    So i think it's a good idea to wait a little while after sending you second message. 500 ms feels a bit long , but none the less 100 ms or so seems to me to be normal....

on the otherhand i might be talking rubbish.... seeing my scholing is a little while behind me...
    Utterly useless, but always willing to help

As a finishing touch god created the dutch

Sinecure devotee

I would be surprised if you should be doing
    SerialPort1.Write("\n")

I would have though it should be along the lines of
    SerialPort1.Write(vbLf)

I admit I didn't test to see if the Write function in .Net excepts C-style escape sequences, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't something you could do in earlier versions of VB.

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    Make certain that you have the same setup at both ends of the port. This could be an issue with the Ardiuno end.

After you do the write are you closing the port? Are you using flow control?
    I'm not closing the port is this required ? and am not using any flow control, i was not aware of flow control i searched and from what i understand it is one end confirming it has finished receiving before the other transmits again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Goggy View Post
    A serial port has a max baud rate and if i rember rite from my schooling, its a one way street... in the sence only one can speak on the line. So if you send something while the other is responding to you first message, the messages will all be lost.
    So i think it's a good idea to wait a little while after sending you second message. 500 ms feels a bit long , but none the less 100 ms or so seems to me to be normal....

on the otherhand i might be talking rubbish.... seeing my scholing is a little while behind me...
    i think the usb connection is a differential pair set up so only one could talk at a time but i was under the impression the usb controller at each end handled this . im only running at 9600 baud but even at that there should be heaps of time for what is happening.
    To be a bit more specific the arduino ( actually a teensy lc) sends a message every 100ms thats about 5 characters long , when the synch button is clicked in the vb program it then sends the message pictured at the top of the thread 5 times with different details. Its looking like i need to do some learning about usb vs the serial i would use between 2 arduino