Thread: InstallShield

InstallShield

To deploy a project as an msi am i correct in saying i also need to purchase InstallShield for 700US?

Re: InstallShield

No you are not. VS used to come with a Setup project template out of the box that would build an MSI for your app. Around 2010 I think, VS started shipping with InstallShield LE, which was free, and Setup projects were dropped soon after. I believe that, despite rumours of support being planned for VS 2015, VS 2013 was the last version that shipped with InstallShield LE. Users were upset at the lack of inbuilt Windows Installer support so Microsoft created an extension for VS 2015 and now VS 2017 that basically reinstates that original Setup project support.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...tallerProjects

Note that, while the VS 2015 version number is 2.1, the VS 2017 version is only 0.8.4, so not at the same level of polish. I haven't heard any complaints though.

There are also various other free and commercial options for building Windows Installer packages.

By the way, this question has nothing to do with VB.NET so it doesn't belong in the VB.NET forum. This site has a forum dedicated to deployment, so this thread should have been posted there.

Fanatic Member

You might try Inno Setup which is free.

Thread moved to the 'Application Deployment' forum (as requested), which is where questions about installing/distributing your software belong

I reccomend, Advance installer, it is better than installshield. They have a free license which gets the job done, for open source projects, or Microsoft MVP or if you write a blog article with decent amount of followers you can get a free pro license, the license is lifetime, with Free renewals to the maintaince plan.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.