Thread: [RESOLVED] Want Ubuntu bootable USB stick. How do I create one from Win.10?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Want Ubuntu bootable USB stick. How do I create one from Win.10?

I have an old Windows 7 laptop that is now too slow to use, so I want to try Linux instead of throwing it away.

Ubuntu seems to be the most recommended one, so I've downloaded the ISO onto my Windows 10 laptop. But how do I burn it onto a USB stick making it bootable? The Ubuntu site says to use something called Rufus, obtainable from Microsoft, but the link is dead and I can't find it on the Microsoft site. I can't find any software on my Windows 10 laptop that allows me create a bootable USB stick.

Re: Want Ubuntu bootable USB stick. How do I create one from Win.10?

I've discovered Rufus is now at https://rufus.akeo.ie/ so I've taken a chance and installed it.

Now can't discover how to boot from a USB drive from my cheapo HP laptop (usual F8 on boot-up doesn't seem to work...).

Re: Want Ubuntu bootable USB stick. How do I create one from Win.10?

Quote Originally Posted by ktrammen View Post
    Now can't discover how to boot from a USB drive from my cheapo HP laptop (usual F8 on boot-up doesn't seem to work...).
    Discovered later it was the F12 key. Now have a functioning spare laptop.