Thread: Issues with a new external hard disk.

Fanatic Member

Issues with a new external hard disk.

Hi
    I have bought a new external hard disk and have attached it to my computer.
    It appears that it is working fine.
    However, I have two little issues with it:

1. My computer identifies the new external hard disk as disk D and the older external hard disk as disk E (it has always identified it as E, because at some point in the past there was another much older external hard disk D which no longer is used).
    So, the way these names or labels D and E are designated is in the REVERSE chronological order, which is counter intuitive and very unpleasant.
    I would prefer to have the old one (currently E) to be identified as D and the new one (currently D) to be identified as E.
    How can I make my computer reallocate these two labels according to my preference?

2. The new external hard disk (Seagate portable storage Slim)(which has the capacity of 4 TB) has some files on it. One is Start_Here_Win.exe which is Seagate product registration software for Windows (there is another one for mac which doesn't apply to me)
    The little booklet that comes with this external hard disk says begin here.
    Now, my question is:
    Why should I run this program Start_Here_Win.exe?
    What does it do?
    If I connect the same external hard disk to multiple computers (all of them running Windows), should I run this on all of them?
    I haven't run it, and yet the external hard disk appears to work fine and everything looks good, so why run this strange exe file? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I didn't run anything like this on my previous external hard disks (WD and Verbatim) and there was no problem. I don't think they even had such thing.
    Any comment or response to this would be appreciated

Please advise.
    Thanks.

Re: Issues with a new external hard disk.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaPreston View Post
    Hi
    1. My computer identifies the new external hard disk as disk D and the older external hard disk as disk E (it has always identified it as E, because at some point in the past there was another much older external hard disk D which no longer is used).
    So, the way these names or labels D and E are designated is in the REVERSE chronological order, which is counter intuitive and very unpleasant.
    I would prefer to have the old one (currently E) to be identified as D and the new one (currently D) to be identified as E.
    How can I make my computer reallocate these two labels according to my preference?

If you go into disk manager you can assign whatever drive letter you like to a partition, simply right click as choose assign drive letter or path.

Personally I wouldn't really care, a drive letter has no real meaning and changing it could cause problems as anything that currently stores a path to the E: drive will now be looking in the wrong place.

2. The new external hard disk (Seagate portable storage Slim)(which has the capacity of 4 TB) has some files on it. One is Start_Here_Win.exe which is Seagate product registration software for Windows (there is another one for mac which doesn't apply to me)
    The little booklet that comes with this external hard disk says begin here.
    Now, my question is:
    Why should I run this program Start_Here_Win.exe?
    What does it do?
    If I connect the same external hard disk to multiple computers (all of them running Windows), should I run this on all of them?
    I haven't run it, and yet the external hard disk appears to work fine and everything looks good, so why run this strange exe file? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I didn't run anything like this on my previous external hard disks (WD and Verbatim) and there was no problem. I don't think they even had such thing.
    Any comment or response to this would be appreciated

Please advise.
    Thanks.
    I have no idea what it does, if the disk is mounted and working then I wouldn't bother running it either - it might simply be a getting started tool for less technical users but that is just guess work really.

Does the current E drive ONLY store files or have you INSTALLED programs to it?

If you have Installed programs to it, they'll probably die if you change the drive letter.

Another option is to make the NEW drive - Drive F.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

You can assign whatever drive letter you like to a partition
    You can only an assign unused drive letter to a drive. To swap drive letters, you first need to assign a different letter (say z) to one drive to free it's existing letter that then can be assigned to the other drive.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

it's an app that downloads necessary drivers if you are running older windows so you can use all3tb, as well as offering you cloud storage with amazon.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell