want in a txt file, Print a certain amount of line in richbox
    For example, the contents of a txt file are as follows:
    Code:
    ro.build.date.utc=1499401014
    ro.build.type=user
    ro.build.user=dpi
    ro.build.host=SWHE8822
    In the first line "ro.build.date.utc=" Equals with "1499401014"

I need the syntax to read 1499401014 from a file , The value of 1499401014 varies in different files

In other words, I want to print anything in front of ro.build.date.utc= on Richbox.

How can we do it? for better understanding I need a ready command

Thanks

Re: read some line in txt file

Just to get you started. You will need to modify this to work for yourself:

Imports System.IO

Code:
    Dim line As String
            Using sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader("C:YourText.txt")

line = sr.ReadLine()

Do Until sr.EndOfStream
                    If InStr(line), "ro.build.date.utc=") > 0 Then
                        RichTextBox1.Text = "LOOK UP INDEX OF"
                    End If

line = sr.ReadLine()
                Loop

End Using
    Once the code finds the string look up "IndexOf" to parse the Line for the number.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Nov 22nd, 2017 at 05:09 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Like any problem, you should start by breaking it down into smaller problems. Beginners often can't find information on their problem because they look for a turnkey solution to their exact problem. If noone has written anything on that exact problem before, there's nothing to find. You need to break the problem up into parts and then preferably generalise each one and look for information on each of those. You then build up your knowledge of the general parts and put that knowledge together to solve the whole.

If you want to do something with the lines of a text file then obviously you need to be able to read the lines of a text file. That's going to be the same regardless of what you want to do, so you should learn how to do that first. It's easy to find information online on how to read the lines of a text file in VB.NET.

Once you have read the file as lines you will know that each line is stored as a String and the problem then becomes how to get part of a String if another part is equal to something else. Again, it's easy to find information on the general topics of string manipulation and pattern matching. Once you understand the principles involved, then you can apply that knowledge you your specific case. That's how you learn to code. Copying turnkey solutions to specific problems will be a slow road to being a poor programmer. Break up a problem, generalise, learn the principles, apply them and then combine. The more you do that, the more you'll find that you already know the principles and how to apply them for large chunks of your problems and eventually all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Just to get you started. You will need to modify this to work for yourself:

Imports System.IO

Code:
    Dim line As String
            Using sr As StreamReader = New StreamReader("C:YourText.txt")

line = sr.ReadLine()

Do Until sr.EndOfStream
                    If InStr(line), "ro.build.date.utc=") > 0 Then
                        RichTextBox1.Text = "LOOK UP INDEX OF"
                    End If

line = sr.ReadLine()
                Loop

End Using
    Once the code finds the string look up "IndexOf" to parse the Line for the number.
    Errors for InStr This Command

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Like any problem, you should start by breaking it down into smaller problems. Beginners often can't find information on their problem because they look for a turnkey solution to their exact problem. If noone has written anything on that exact problem before, there's nothing to find. You need to break the problem up into parts and then preferably generalise each one and look for information on each of those. You then build up your knowledge of the general parts and put that knowledge together to solve the whole.

If you want to do something with the lines of a text file then obviously you need to be able to read the lines of a text file. That's going to be the same regardless of what you want to do, so you should learn how to do that first. It's easy to find information online on how to read the lines of a text file in VB.NET.

Once you have read the file as lines you will know that each line is stored as a String and the problem then becomes how to get part of a String if another part is equal to something else. Again, it's easy to find information on the general topics of string manipulation and pattern matching. Once you understand the principles involved, then you can apply that knowledge you your specific case. That's how you learn to code. Copying turnkey solutions to specific problems will be a slow road to being a poor programmer. Break up a problem, generalise, learn the principles, apply them and then combine. The more you do that, the more you'll find that you already know the principles and how to apply them for large chunks of your problems and eventually all of them.
    I accept
    But I do not know English well
    That's why I can not understand more of your explanation
    And I can get ready with the command and investigate my efficiency
    There is very little training in our language

Please put a command for my problem

thanks