dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Things getting weird: 1) Resource mgr gone (sort of), 2) Word automation complaining

Resolved [RESOLVED] Things getting weird: 1) Resource mgr gone (sort of), 2) Word automation complaining

Things were fine yesterday, but something has changed.

First, my resource manager is trying to hide from me:

Name:  res.png
Views: 579
Size:  5.0 KB

That's it, that #2000. But why isn't it called "Resource Manager"?

(EDIT: Just as an FYI, I've got all the other "canned" Add-Ins moved out. That "Mark Selected Controls" Add-In is something written by me that I seldom load or use.)

And secondly, and I have a sneaking suspicion it's related, Word is complaining when I automate it from VB6. And this is in code that's been working just fine for decades:

Name:  WordError.png
Views: 563
Size:  4.6 KB

And I also get this error when I attempt to open the Word file with ShellExecute. Just something as simple as ...

Code:

ShellEx = ShellExecuteW(0&, StrPtr(sOperation), StrPtr(sFileName), 0&, 0&, lShowCmd)

... where sOperation = "Open".

What's the deal? Is this some Windows 10 update giving me problems?

Grrr...
    Last edited by Elroy; Nov 17th, 2017 at 01:22 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Re: Things getting weird: 1) Resource mgr gone (sort of), 2) Word automation complain

Windows 10 1709, fully updated here. Working just fine.

Re: Things getting weird: 1) Resource mgr gone (sort of), 2) Word automation complain

Yep, I'm on Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.64)

Things are still working but this sure makes me nervous.

I snooped in the registry and found this:

Name:  RegRes.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  23.2 KB

Now that's not right. I fixed the name on the Resource Editor by changing the FriendlyName key to "Resource Editor". But what in the world changed it to #2000? Very weird.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

I do have `#2000` in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic\6.0\Addins\ResEdit6.Connect\FriendlyName so this is ok. This is probably a numeric resource ID of the actual string which is loaded from en_US localized resource dll.

You are probably having troubles with file permissions on some entire folder ResEdit6 files are located. Do you use a new user account? Is it a member of admins group?

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

this is windows 10, the new normal
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hi wqweto,

This is my development machine. The only user account is "Elroy", and I'm an administrator. And, I have VB6.exe set to run as administrator. And, I have UAC completely turned off in the registry.

And what's particularly weird is that everything is working fine today. I "fixed" the Resource Editor as stated. But my ShellExecuteW is also working today. Who knows.

I'll mark as resolve I suppose.

Elroy