Thread: Performance Counters

Fanatic Member

Performance Counters

When using the QueryPerformance API's, are they basically accessing Registry values and simply returning the data to the caller?

Thanks.

PowerPoster

Re: Performance Counters

No.

See Precision is not the same as accuracy

What QueryPerformanceCounter actually does is up to the HAL (with some help from ACPI). The performance folks tell me that, in the worst case, you might get it from the rollover interrupt on the programmable interrupt timer. This in turn may require a PCI transaction, which is not exactly the fastest thing in the world. It's better than GetTickCount, but it's not going to win any speed contests. In the best case, the HAL may conclude that the RDTSC counter runs at a constant frequency, so it uses that instead. Things are particularly exciting on multiprocessor machines, where you also have to make sure that the values returned from RDTSC on each processor are consistent with each other! And then, for good measure, throw in a handful of workarounds for known buggy hardware.

Fanatic Member

I've haven't worked with any of the performance counters before, but had always thought they dealt with 'timing' functions until I ran across the reference below:

Code:
    PerformanceCounter("LogicalDisk", "Disk Read Bytes/sec", "_Total")

I was thrown after seeing this wondering if it does more then just work as a timer.

PowerPoster

That's why the word "performance" is in there. Timing is just secondary to the process of measuring performance.

This is similar to the situation with multimedia timers.

Hyperactive Member

I would use QueryPerformanceCounter e.g. in animated PNG. Regarding Dilettante's quote
    "..... It's better than GetTickCount, ...... for good measure, throw in a handful of workarounds for known buggy hardware",
    I usually

(i) Test whether APIs to be used are really working at all, e.g.

m_TimerOK = (QueryPerformanceFrequency(m_Frequency) <> 0)

(ii) Establish an overhead element, e.g.

Dim m1 As Currency, m2 As Currency
    If m_TimerOK Then
    QueryPerformanceFrequency m_Frequency
    QueryPerformanceCounter m1
    QueryPerformanceCounter m2
    Else
    m1 = GetTickCount()
    m2 = GetTickCount()
    End If
    m_Overhead = m2 - m1

(iii) In the subroutine "GetTimeElapse", validate the result a bit, e.g.

Dim mDiff As Double

If m_TimerOK Then
    QueryPerformanceCounter m_End
    mDiff = (m_End - m_Start - m_Overhead) / m_Frequency
    GetTimeElapse = mDiff
    Else
    m_End = GetTickCount
    GetTimeElapse = (m_End - m_Start - m_Overhead) / 1000
    End If

If GetTimeElapse < 0 Then
    m_End = m_Start
    GetTimeElapse = 0
    Else
    GetTimeElapse = Round(GetTimeElapse, inRound)
    End If

PowerPoster

The buggy hardware workarounds are some of the gymnastics QueryPerformanceCounter goes through.

Animation should probably use multimedia timers anyway. That's the sort of thing they are intended for.

Fanatic Member

dilettante's OldNewThing link is great, but be sure to note the date of publication. After reading it (it's short and good!), I'd recommend this MSDN article to fill the gap between 2005 and now:

Acquiring high-resolution time stamps

That article provides painstaking details on how Windows handles timing measurements, including changes across Windows versions. Assuming you're running Windows 7 or later, the situation is much better than it used to be (e.g. QPC functions have much lower latency). As the article says:

QPC is typically the best method to use to time-stamp events and measure small time intervals that occur on the same system or virtual machine
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

Fanatic Member

dilettante - Thanks for the Precision and accuracy link. Man, I didn't even know there was a animation / multimedia timer available, I'm gonna have to check that out and possibly go back to some of my code and make some changes.

Brenker, I appreciate the code example, but I've got that voice in the back of my head saying things like just executing a few extra lines of code seems like it would upset the precision of these PerformanceCounters.

Tanner, that's some link on time-stamps! I've had to re-read parts of it a couple of times. I had no idea timing got so involved.

PowerPoster

i forget if it was a game dev blog, or media player classic dev blog, but it came down to using timeGetTime for timing, and QPC for profiling.

Fanatic Member

Perhaps I should take a step back here and explain what's going on.

The project is a Data Acquisition System collecting real-time measurements through custom hardware. The data is being processed / filtered before written to disk. Standard disks couldn't keep up and were replaced with pricey high-performance versions, and then just recently upgraded to Solid State Drives.

The data is buffered before stored, but this only helps with sporadic bursts of data, consistently high data rates are overflowing the buffers and data is being lost.

Nobody seems to have any reliable or accurate numbers when it comes to the true I/O rates when one includes the OS overhead, Mother board I/O bus speeds, SATA I/O rates and finally the SSD I/O speed. There are bottle necks here and there depending on motherboards, disk architecture & interface. I'm planning on swapping out the current SATA SSD with a BUS interfaced SSD.

Before I even got started with trying to calculate any numbers, I wanted to know the best method for setting up accurate timers. When it comes to the disk I/O, the numbers aren't nearly as fast or critical as the speed of the raw data coming in during peek I/O periods. This is where accurate timers are going to be needed, however the disk will most likely always be the ultimate bottle neck.

To track the DAQ I/O rate I'll be needing an accurate timer and this is where I thought of using the PerformanceCounters, but I wasn't sure if this was overkill.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by stuck-n-past View Post
    To track the DAQ I/O rate I'll be needing an accurate timer and this is where I thought of using the PerformanceCounters, but I wasn't sure if this was overkill.
    I would definitely use timeGetTime / multimedia timers for measuring real world data.

per https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by MSDN
    QPC is independent of and isn't synchronized to any external time reference.

also worth noting is .NET's Stopwatch class uses QPC for timing. Maybe you should start with that.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

https://referencesource.microsoft.co...s/Stopwatch.cs
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Nov 16th, 2017 at 02:55 PM.

Fanatic Member

I'm not sure that there's anything "overkill" about QPC timers, stuck-in-past. They are very simple API calls. They also don't suffer the resolution or rollover issues of timeGetTime(), or require you to mess with system-wide settings (like timeBeginPeriod() does). timeGetTime() has a primary benefit of being very regular/predictable, not necessarily very accurate, which as dilettante said makes them a good fit for animation. See also Larry Osterman's blog about this, and perhaps this related post.

But those multimedia timers were built in a different era (pre-XP!), when QPC was unreliable because hardware didn't report timing in a standard way. On modern hardware, these concerns no longer exist. As Larry says in that blog post linked above:

The time* APIs are a set of 7 APIs built into the windows multimedia extensions (winmm.dll). They provide a rudimentary set of timer functions for Windows applications. At this point, except for two of the APIs, they exist only for historical purposes, the core OS now provides significantly higher quality APIs for timers.
    If you need timing measurements that are synchronized to some "absolute" source, the MSDN page on high-resolution timers suggests GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime() as an alternative. Note that it does require Win 8 or later, however.
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

Fanatic Member

Thanks for all of the help, I'm getting some good numbers tracking the raw input data, but have questions about the file sub-system and when if flushes it's internal buffers.

I seem to be getting confusing numbers which are not always consistent when dealing with disk I/O. I need to clarify things here just a bit, as I'm being extremely 'picky' attempting to get some very exact values. My first thought was that the system is flushing buffers at different times depending on the flow of data being saved as the I/O rates happen to be fluctuating here and there.

I started looking into writing to the disk using different API's, attempting to flush buffers on my own when I ran across the DeviceIoControl function using the IOCTL_DISK_PERFORMANCE parameter. It looked like this might do some of the work for me, as it's tracking I/O data rates, it should be aware of when it's own buffers are being flushed resulting in more accurate numbers then what I would be able to come up with. But I can't seem to get the code to work.

It's not all that complicated consisting of two main calls, CreateFile which is working, and then the call to DeviceIoControl, which is failing. It returns with a DLL error code of 31 with the unusual description of: "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I've made calls to CreateFile before, but it's my first encounter with DeviceIoControl and I don't seem to be able to get it working.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stuck-n-past; Nov 17th, 2017 at 08:38 AM.