Thread: Creating a location tracking software

Hyperactive Member

Post Creating a location tracking software

I currently want to start a project of a location tracking software and I want to ask that must I have to buy a GPS tracker or device ?
    Nothing I post is Self Reliable. Use it at your own risk

Re: Creating a location tracking software

Windows has location services built in, so that would be a "no". As should always be the case, you should start with a web search, e.g.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=.net+l...&setlang=en-GB

Frenzied Member

I'd say it depends on how accurate you need it to be and does it need to work while mobile. A GPS device will be the most accurate and can work on the move. Other ways to detect location (wifi or cell) won't work as well or consistently if that is your use case. FWIW, I assume they still make USB GPS receivers. I got one back in 2005 to use with some mapping software on my laptop while doing relief work after Hurricane Katrina. It came in very handy every time I had to route around closed roads. Just a little disc maybe 5cm dia you could stick on your dash or even roof of the car (has magnetic base).

King of sapila

On a very small scale and for a basic tracking, you could find the location by users computer IP, but you need databases with IP per Location that I think that are constantly changing - updated.
    I can't remember why and how I used a database with something similar in the past....Hmmm, probably for spam (please notice the Smiley, hello please notice the smiley)
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    I'd say it depends on how accurate you need it to be and does it need to work while mobile. A GPS device will be the most accurate and can work on the move. Other ways to detect location (wifi or cell) won't work as well or consistently if that is your use case. FWIW, I assume they still make USB GPS receivers. I got one back in 2005 to use with some mapping software on my laptop while doing relief work after Hurricane Katrina. It came in very handy every time I had to route around closed roads. Just a little disc maybe 5cm dia you could stick on your dash or even roof of the car (has magnetic base).
    Yeah the software is gonna be tracking mobile phones also maybe with use of IMEI Number or IP Address.

Quote Originally Posted by TATARPRO View Post
    Yeah the software is gonna be tracking mobile phones also maybe with use of IMEI Number or IP Address.
    Most modern smartphones have GPS built in and it doesn't take an awful lot of work to interact with it, they normally also provide fallback to other location methods if GPS is unavailable or disables as well.

IP Addresses on mobile devices can be a lot less reliable though, they are prone to change as the phone moves between WiFi / data and even different cell phone towers. IMEI should be easy to obtain but it will require specific permissions and will make it difficult to move users to a new device, are you tracking the user or the device specifically?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    IMEI should be easy to obtain but it will require specific permissions and will make it difficult to move users to a new device.
    What kind of specific permission are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    are you tracking the user or the device specifically?
    I am tracking the device

Quote Originally Posted by TATARPRO View Post
    What kind of specific permission are you talking about?
    that depends on the type of phone for example if it is an Android device you need
    Code:
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" />
    in your manifest, other device types would require a similar permission but it would be device specific.

Hyperactive Member

The software is a tracking/Security software so I want to get the location without the the user's consent.