Thread: Hello having a run time error

Hello having a run time error

Hi I have an error saying Run-Time error 9 subscript out of range.
    vb6.0 highlights this line.

Code:
    If Player(Index).Version <> GetVar(App.Path & "\data\config.ini", "CONFIG", "VERSION") Then
    What dose it mean when it says, Run-Time error 9 subscript out of range.

Name:  error.png
Views: 171
Size:  3.3 KB
    Name:  error1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  12.7 KB

Re: Hello having a run time error

Welcome to the forums

The error is probably because the value Index is not within the LBound or UBound of the Player() array
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Interesting. I just sent someone an email about a similar problem. Here's a snippet from that email:

Basically, in VB, you can grab memory for an array. For instance, we might do something like...

Dim SomeArray(1 to 5) As Double

Basically, this says to create space for five numbers. We could set them as following...

SomeArray(1) = 123
    SomeArray(2) = 234
    SomeArray(3) = 345
    SomeArray(4) = 456
    SomeArray(5) = 567

However, what's going to happen if we go...

SomeArray(6) = 678

That's when we get an Error 9. We've attempted to use some memory that we haven't requested/allocated. VB will stop you from doing this, with Error 9. You get the Error 9 if you're trying to write-to or read-from some non-allocated memory.
    Blueboxos, in your case, the GetVar(...) piece is almost certainly a request to dig something out of an INI file. However, without the code, that isn't 100% certain. But, since there are multiple arguments, some Strings, that's almost certainly not producing the Error 9. And, if something down in that function were out-of-bounds for an array, it would have shown you the line down in that function.

Therefore, as LaVolpe pointed out, we should be focusing on Player(...). Since you've used the dot-reference with it (Player(...).Version), it must be either an array of class objects, or an array of user-defined-types (UDTs) (or, maybe a control array of some control with a Version property?).

You are definitely over-running an array. However, an array of what is still an outstanding question. If you could tell us a bit more about what Player(...) is, we could probably help more.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboxos View Post
    Hi I have an error saying Run-Time error 9 subscript out of range.
    vb6.0 highlights this line.

Code:
    If Player(Index).Version <> GetVar(App.Path & "\data\config.ini", "CONFIG", "VERSION") Then
    What dose it mean when it says, Run-Time error 9 subscript out of range.

Name:  error.png
Views: 171
Size:  3.3 KB
    Name:  error1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  12.7 KB
    I notice you are using Index in 3 cases
    • IsPlaying(Index)
    • Player(Index)
    • GetPlayerName(Index)

Questions
    1. Are IsPlaying() and GetPlayerName() arrays or functions?
    2. What is the value of Index at the highlighted line?

To answer the second one, move your mouse over the word "Index" and the value should show

Spoo