Thread: [RESOLVED] TypeInitializationException thrown using an object from a module

Resolved [RESOLVED] TypeInitializationException thrown using an object from a module

I was adding a bunch of code and didnt commit frequently and now I have a runtime error bug.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.TypeInitializationException' occurred in RSG.exe

Additional information: The type initializer for 'RSG.Classes' threw an exception.

Code where the execution happens. frmStart is the start up form.
    Code:
        Private Sub frmStart_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Label1.Text += Application.ProductVersion
            frm.Show() 'EXCEPTION IS THROWN HERE.
        End Sub
    Code for module
    Code:
    Module Classes
        Public frm As New frmStringGen
    End Module
    Load method of the frmStringGen object.
    Code:
    Code actually never reaches this point and it doesn't contain an InitializeComponent() method in it. It didn't happen before.
    I want to mention some more information. I am using My.Settings stuff and also my app.config has been reset. I tried to lower the application framework from 4.5.2 to 4 and that didn't work either.

I am stuck and need a bit of walking through at this point. I can't find the bug.

app.config file receives 38 messages like so.. repeating through each setting implementation
    Could not find schema information for the element 'setting'.
    Could not find schema information for the attribute 'name'.
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
      <configSections>
        <sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
          <section name="RSG.My.MySettings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false"/>
        </sectionGroup>
      </configSections>
      <startup>
        <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.5.2"/>
      </startup>
      <userSettings>
        <RSG.My.MySettings>
          <setting name="bgSelection" serializeAs="String">
            <value>0</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="optClip" serializeAs="String">
            <value>True</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="optBigInt" serializeAs="String">
            <value>False</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="optBound" serializeAs="String">
            <value>True</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="optGlue" serializeAs="String">
            <value>False</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="optRndMethod" serializeAs="String">
            <value>1</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="optCheckUpdatesOnLoad" serializeAs="String">
            <value>False</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="version" serializeAs="String">
            <value>2.0</value>
          </setting>
          <setting name="scrollErrorShown" serializeAs="String">
            <value>False</value>
          </setting>
        </RSG.My.MySettings>
      </userSettings>
    </configuration>
    Last edited by Reapism; Nov 13th, 2017 at 11:34 PM.

Re: TypeInitializationException thrown using an object from a module

It's not the Load event handler that's the problem. What is almost certainly happening is that one of the property values that you've set in the designer is causing an event to be raised and then the handler for that event is doing something invalid. For instance, if you set the Text property of a TextBox then the TextChanged event will be raised during construction. If that event handler assumes that something has been done that actually hasn't at that stage then an exception could be thrown. If you actually look at the stack trace of the exception, you may be able to see exactly where it's originally thrown. If not, at least you the sort of thing to look for.

I did a stack trace using the try and catch function.

Code:

Try
                frm.Show()
            Catch ex As Exception
                Clipboard.SetText(System.Environment.StackTrace)
            End Try
    Here is what it threw.

Code:
       at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at RSG.frmStart.frmStart_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\All Files\Programs\_Git\Random String Generator\Random String Generator\frmStart.vb:line 20 'Here is where i show the form frm.Show()
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)
       at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
       at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()
       at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)
       at RSG.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in :line 81
    I should also note that I renamed the application recently but I wasn't getting this error before, only now.
    I changed the Root name and assembly name to RSG.

Data:
    Code:
    {System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal}
    ' This is probably one of the settings I've added but removed to try to debug

The inner exception is:
    Code:
    {"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."}
    TargetSite:
    Code:
    {Void frmStart_Load(System.Object, System.EventArgs)}
    Last edited by Reapism; Nov 14th, 2017 at 06:06 PM.

In a Catch block, just call ToString on the exception to get all the relevant information. You could also have simply clicked the View Details link on the Exception Assistant window and got the stack trace from there.

If you put a breakpoint on the line that 'frm.Show' call, is 'frm' Nothing there?

I have to question why you have that module at all though. It seems like you should simply use the default instance there or a true singleton. What you have doesn't appear to be of any value.

There are many classes that need to access an object reference instead of the true singleton. I had limitations doing some executions on just single instances. But with the module, I can call frm anywhere its its helpful to me. I guess a better explanation is I didn't want a static reference. But anyways, I had this same code doing the same thing for about a year and I must have done something and it now it throws this exception. In the data part of the exception viewing detail, it said something about another form? Would that have anything to do with it somehow?

To answer your question, frm shouldn't be nothing there because i instantiate it in the module with the new keyword

Code:
        Private Sub frmStart_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            Label1.Text += Application.ProductVersion
            frm = New frmStringGen 'This line also throws the same exception.
            frm.Show()
        End Sub
    Module code:
    Code:
    Module Classes
        Public frm As New frmStringGen

End Module
    Last edited by Reapism; Nov 14th, 2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added more information

PowerPoster

To answer your question, frm shouldn't be nothing there because i instantiate it in the module with the new keyword
    That really doesn't answer the question. We know it shouldn't be Nothing but have you actually checked?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    That really doesn't answer the question. We know it shouldn't be Nothing but have you actually checked?
    No code changed in the frmStringGen to make it nothing, the problem lies somewhere else likely. I did check, but code didn't really change there.

We're not asking you whether any code has changed. We're asking you whether that variable is Nothing when that line of code is executed. Please answer that question. Put a breakpoint on that line and mouse over the variable to see its value when it gets hit. Is it Nothing or not? I'm not asking this for my health. If that variable is Nothing then we need to address that specifically. If it's not then something somewhere else is Nothing and that's a completely different problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Reapism View Post
    There are many classes that need to access an object reference instead of the true singleton. I had limitations doing some executions on just single instances. But with the module, I can call frm anywhere its its helpful to me. I guess a better explanation is I didn't want a static reference.
    That doesn't make any sense. Both a singleton and a default instance are object references. I think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapism View Post
    In the data part of the exception viewing detail, it said something about another form? Would that have anything to do with it somehow?
    It could have something to do with it but if you're not going to tell us what it actually said then we can only guess. We aren't psychic. We only know what you tell us, so you need to tell us everything that's relevant.

You don't want to know.

Actually I'm surprised no expert has mentioned this:

TypeInitializationException is sort of useless on its own. It tells you "another exception was thrown while I was doing something in a type initializer". Not to get bogged down, but that means the important part is the "another exception".

It has an InnerException property that will tell you what the "another exception" is. That will tell you precisely what went wrong and where. Looking at the TypeInitializationException itself won't tell you that.

Something like this might work better:
    Code:
    Try
        frm.Show()
    Catch ex As Exception
        If ex.InnerException IsNot Nothing
            Debug.WriteLine(ex.InnerException)
        Else
            Debug.WriteLine(ex)
        End If
    End Try
    It is true that TIE means something has gone wrong in a static context, probably a Module initializer. The inner exception will tell you which line failed.

Please don't get in the habit of trying to find the ONE LINE that you think we need to see. Often the cause of an error involves the 5-10 lines around that one line. When in doubt, post too much code but point us to the line that fails.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

@Sitten, thank goodness you mentioned that. It pointed to the other form that i failed to mention before sorry @jmc and @wes. I was just unable to produce where that error was coming from, once i saw what code was causing it. I fixed within seconds. Thank you all for your advice.

ANYONE WITH THIS ERROR, the error is caused by another exception thrown elsewhere in your project. To find what is causing your error, use a Try block on the statement that's initially throwing the exception, then in the catch block write anything that can display the inner exception.

Reference @sittens post above.

If you call ToString on the exception that is thrown, as I suggested in post #4, then it should include information from the inner exception as well, although I'm not sure that that is always the case. In the end, did it turn out to be a property that you set in the designer causing an event handler to execute some code that was making an invalid assumption, as I suggested in post #2?

You don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    If you call ToString on the exception that is thrown, as I suggested in post #4, then it should include information from the inner exception as well, although I'm not sure that that is always the case.
    This is correct, usually the format is like:

Code:
    TypeIntializationException blah blah blah 
    <call stack>

Inner exception: NullReferenceException blah blah blah
    <call stack>
    Seemed like your request was getting lost in translation somewhere, so I figured explicitly explaining the inner exception might help.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

What it was instantiating an array which for some reason had so much problems. I will post that code here.

I never really use arrays in VB. So while I was looking up the documentation for it, I tried to instantiate the eighth element to empty string without
    instantiating the ones before and oh boy. The code is stupid and doesn't do anything useful.
    Code:
            dictURLs(7) = ""

For Each i As String In dictURLs
                If IsNothing(i) Then
                    MsgBox("Nothing")
                Else
                    MsgBox(dictURLs(i))
                End If
            Next

Definitely did. When I called the ToString it didn't display innerexception details to me as jmc mentioned.

You don't want to know.

Re: [RESOLVED] TypeInitializationException thrown using an object from a module

Let's make it real clear.

I see way back in #3 you actually did know about the InnerException, but you didn't quite get how to get the right information about it. I'm going to write an application that on-purpose throws TypeInitializationException, and show you what the output looks like. Maybe that'll save us a few more rounds of back and forth post-resolution.

Here's the application:
    Code:
    Public Class Form1

Protected Overrides Sub OnShown(e As EventArgs)
            MyBase.OnShown(e)

Try
                Dim frm As New Form2()
                frm.Show()
            Catch ex As Exception
                Debug.WriteLine(ex)
            End Try

End Sub

End Class

Public Class Form2
        Inherits Form

Public Shared NotSomething As String = Nothing
        Public Shared WillFail As String = NotSomething.Length.ToString()

End Class
    "Type Initialization" is a fancy word for "running a static constructor" which is a concept VB uses completely different words to refer to. It's like "the Sub New for a Module" but for a class is like "Shared Sub New()" and automatically happens if you have some variables to initialize. So I gave Form2 some Shared variables and made sure there's no valid way for them to be set.

Here's what it outputs:
    Code:
    Exception thrown: 'System.NullReferenceException' in WindowsApp38.exe
    Exception thrown: 'System.TypeInitializationException' in WindowsApp38.exe
    System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'WindowsApp38.Form2' threw an exception. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at WindowsApp38.Form2..cctor() in C:\Users\[redacted]\Documents\Visual Studio 2017\Projects\WindowsApp38\WindowsApp38\Form1.vb:line 21
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at WindowsApp38.Form2..ctor()
       at WindowsApp38.Form1.OnShown(EventArgs e) in C:\Users\[redacted]\Documents\Visual Studio 2017\Projects\WindowsApp38\WindowsApp38\Form1.vb:line 7
    This is easy to read when you've seen it a thousand times.

The NullReferenceException was thrown first, but Visual Studio wasn't configured to do anything about it so my app kept going.

The framework caught it and wrapped it in a TypeInitializationException for me, but VS wasn't configured to do anything about that either.

My Catch block caught it and printed the message, which says in order:

I got a TypeInitializationException that was spawned by a NullReferenceException. That NullReferenceException was thrown from a Shared Sub New (That's what ".cctor()" means) in Form1.vb, line 21. The TypeInitializationException was thrown from Form2's constructor (".ctor()") in response to being called by Form1.OnShown() on line 7.

So the real culprit is Form1.vb, line 21:
    Code:
    Public Shared WillFail As String = NotSomething.Length.ToString()
    And we know why that failed since we intended for it to fail.

A bad habit is to look at just the Message property of an exception, the full ToString() is about the most useful thing you can look at! The debugger doesn't tend to display the whole thing at the same time, you have to dig in the little VS dialogs to see the good stuff.

Re: [RESOLVED] TypeInitializationException thrown using an object from a module

Clarified to the extreme. This thread should be the staple for which people like myself seek to resolve their exception. I can't give either of you any more rep, but I certainly can thank you all for your posts. Such an error has prevented me from working on my app for five days, I am very grateful.