dcsimg
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 161 to 200 of 271

Thread: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

  1. #161
    PowerPoster Zvoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To the moon and then left
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    FD,

    thank you for understanding the point i'm trying to make!
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

  2. #162
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    I do actually agree with FD too. I just think you have to start somewhere and I would suggest a step by step approach. The IDE for me is a good starting point, it could be usable from the very start and something to adapt to cater for the requirements of the new language as its design grows. It might entice others in.

    I am only really interested in a new IDE now as that is the only thing (no matter how useless we deem it to be) that we might actually be able to touch... (if stuck'n past would release it...)

    I'll be interested in a new VB6+ language when I see bits of it being designed and developed. As you say it is unlikely to ever happen (closed or open source) so why should I worry myself unduly about it now if it is never going to occur?

    A bit depressing.

    FD. Thanks for the positivity. Appreciated.
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 27th, 2018 at 07:56 AM. Reason: note to FD

  3. #163
    Fanatic Member wqweto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    892

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    You've intimated that yereverluvinuncleber is trolling a few times now but I just don't see it.
    That's very unfortunate, as a normal user I just reported his posts and obviously here we are at moderators' mercy to defend the regulars from the trolls. Fair enough, will have to bite my lips in this case. . .


    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Personally I think this debate highlights exactly why there isn't going to be a next generation of classic VB and it's what Shaggy averred to: you all want different things.
    That's normal (people *are* different) but it's not the reason for lacking efforts on VB6 successor. The true reason IMO is that writing a compiler/debugger is hard (next to impossible) for 99% of the people that crave vNext.

    And the reason it's hard is because in VB6-land there are no enabling technologies. No parsers, no LLVM port, no tooling, no previous art -- compilers, interpreters, large OSS projects.

    We need the building blocks for *everyone* here to try writing vNext to whatever standards/features he/she wishes to. Constructors w/ params? No problem -- fork this, make it happen, send PR back if you wish.

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    An Open Source project is unlikely to succeed because many of these decisions need to be built right into the architecture - they're not "features" you can make a fork for later. A one man band or tightly focussed team might stand a chance but I doubt it - the workload's huge and they're likely to end up producing something that only suits the needs of a small proportion of the user base.
    Userbase has never been a problem for OSS projects. Feature list too. It's the intrinsic motivation that drives people to hack interesting (for *them*) things. No one is going to start vNext because yereverluvinuncleber donated $50 to the project instead of to KBASIC. On the contrary, it's these so called "demotivators" people that are ruining the fledgling efforts in the right direction.

    Olaf has mentioned several times that he is so fed up w/ parts of the "community" he prefers to work in solitude and I can completely understand his fears. Because great hackers are not great managers like yereverluvinuncleber almost-confessed prowess and there are lots of people on the lookout to steal something for their nefarious (however silly) purposes.

    cheers,
    </wqw>

  4. #164
    PowerPoster Zvoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To the moon and then left
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    The IDE for me is a good starting point, it could be usable from the very start and something to adapt to cater for the requirements of the new language as its design grows. It might entice others in.
    And that's exactly the point the others (and myself) disagree with you!
    There has always been the option to expand the IDE (this is just the first hit after googling "vb6 ide addins")
    --> https://github.com/dzzie/addins

    The Point we're trying to make:
    Look at the progress from VB3 to VB4 to VB5 to VB6
    With each version the language itself changed (or added to) more than the IDE itself.

    Yes, i haven't fired up my VB6-IDE in the last 6-7 years, and i don't even remember, when i fired up the VB5-IDE (nevermind VB4) last, but if i remember correctly there were only miniscule differences (if any) in the IDE itself.

    Since Lazarus was brought up:
    Lazarus is the IDE for the Free Pascal Compiler.
    FPC was born in 1993 (first release 1996/97 i think),
    Lazarus in 1999,
    but both (!!) are still in development, and on the Lazarus-Page/Forum you can actually follow its progress if anything new has been introduced to the compiler(!!).
    Any contributions to Lazarus are bound by what the compiler can process except addins like a "prettyprint my code"-thingies, and as i said: you always had the option to expand the VB6-IDE
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

  5. #165
    PowerPoster Zvoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To the moon and then left
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    *snipp*The true reason IMO is that writing a compiler/debugger is hard (next to impossible) for 99% of the people that crave vNext.

    And the reason it's hard is because in VB6-land there are no enabling technologies. No parsers, no LLVM port, no tooling, no previous art -- compilers, interpreters, large OSS projects.

    We need the building blocks for *everyone* here to try writing vNext to whatever standards/features he/she wishes to. Constructors w/ params? No problem -- fork this, make it happen, send PR back if you wish.
    *snipp*
    Exactly my thoughts!

    And i know im in danger of annoying the hell out of you
    The Free Pascal Compiler is written in Pascal, and can compile itself.

    Now imagine a compiler written in classic VB, which can compile itself!
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

  6. #166
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    And that's exactly the point the others (and myself) disagree with you!
    That's fine, I don't mind if you disagree. I am not going to argue against what you specifically want as I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I am merely expressing my own desire for something smaller. If you don't express your own desire and you aren't prepared to back it then it will never go anywhere. Having expressed my desire and my support for the possibility of an IDE, that's my job done.

    Extending the existing VB6 IDE is a rather pointless thing for me or anyone to do now whilst it spirals down to its inevitable doom.

    Your hope for a new language is even more unlikely to achieve anything, which is sad but as you said, unfortunately, true. Depressing again.

    I'm only clutching at a straw which is at least, visible.

  7. #167
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,031

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    We need the building blocks for *everyone* here to try writing vNext to whatever standards/features he/she wishes to
    ...and therein lies the problem, because different people want different building blocks. Some folks want it to be based on the Win 32 API because they want their old hacks to works. Others want it to be java script or similar because they want to enable cross platform. Most just don't care... and won't right up until the moment that the killer feature they want to fork is unsupportable by whatever building block you chose - at which point they'll curse you just as much as people curse Microsoft today. The choice of foundation is going to affect absolutely everything that comes after - and no foundation available will be ideal for everything that someone might want to come after.

    That's why I pulled you up on accusing yereverluvinuncleber (who could have picked a shorter login name by the way ) of trolling. I don't see anything he's said as trolling. Rather he has different requirements of the building block to the ones you've envisaged. That may be inconvenient to your narrative but it's disagreement, not trolling. (And I'm not wearing my mod hat there - I'm speaking as a user. I haven't seen anything in the last few pages of this thread that would even come close to requiring a mod to step in).



    By the way, I don't mean to be discouraging about anyone's attempt to "bring back VB", whatever that looks like. Have at it, as far as I'm concerned. At the worst you'll waste some effort. I suspect it'll fail but I don't know that and I would genuinely be happy to be proved wrong. I know there's always a suspicion when people post negative prophecies (as I'm doing) that they're harbouring a secret desire to see a project fail - I'm not. If someone ever does succeed in this I'll benefit from it just as much as anyone else.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  8. #168
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I know there's always a suspicion when people post negative prophecies (as I'm doing) that they're harbouring a secret desire to see a project fail .
    I see a bit of that here, though I'm not accusing anyone.

    I just feel that VB6 has been going down the hill for so long that negativity in the forum is the norm. It almost feels as if the community has lost its mojo. I feel that some sort of an injection is needed and if that one person tries to provide a bit of it (stuck 'n past) then gets shot down in flames that is a bit sad.

    I always think that you should discuss any matter on a forum as if the other person is in the same room as you with a cup of tea on the table. IF that was the case then we'd have all gathered round stuck 'n past's IDE to have a look and probably show interest and give him some encouragement.

    Those here that fire off in premature rudeness when they see an opinion they don't like should think on that - before they commit words to a post.

    FD. Apologies for the long name, it should have been yereverluvinunclebert, ie. your ever loving uncle bert - but there was limit to the number of letters so ber or Bert will do!

  9. #169
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    32,756

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    I specifically avoided calling you by name lest my finger fall off mid-name.

    The community HAS lost it's mojo, but it has been replaced by a different mojo. There's a difference in the community of something that is currently showing up in schools, being used by less than casual types, and so on, as opposed to a community composed primarily of enthusiasts. You don't get the "How do I write an If statement" kinds of questions, and a lot less of the, "this is my homework assignment, can you show me how to do it?" questions. The questions tend to be a bit deeper, on average. Lots of legacy forums go through something like that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  10. #170
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Interesting observation.

    My ten year old boy boy just had a lesson in 'if then else' statements and 'for...next' loops in QB45.

    Sorry about the finger.

  11. #171
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    32,756

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    The children of afficianados of any subculture don't count as representative. Everybody who is passionate about some subject will convey that passion to their kids, whether intentionally or otherwise.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  12. #172
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The children of afficianados of any subculture don't count as representative. Everybody who is passionate about some subject will convey that passion to their kids, whether intentionally or otherwise.
    I don't think he's representative of anything... it was just a pleasant aside, just saying what he is up to, another possible basic programmer perhaps in the future. My statement did not require you to defend your position in any way - being just a friendly mention of the event of my boy learning his first program.

    Perhaps my language or the understanding of it is being misconstrued as it crosses the ocean... Two cultures divided by a common language? Do you speak Idahoian?

  13. #173
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    32,756

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    I don't really. If I did, I wouldn't be driving a car...it would be a rig.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  14. #174
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    I think I understand. A horse and buggy.

  15. #175
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
    Posts
    1,210

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    More like these:

    teamjimmyjoe.com/2013/03/redneck-vehicles-24-of-the-best-bad/

  16. #176
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Ah right. So, I really didn't understand! That's a rig. Got it. Divided by a common language...

  17. #177
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    32,756

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    People out here (I'm not from here) use different words for every day items. Not a whole lot, but there are notable differences. Everybody knows I'm from elsewhere when I speak.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  18. #178
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    513

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    This is very interesting. Maybe you could post a video on youtube sometime, that would display what you have working, and perhaps secure some intellectual rights if published in the appropriate section on youtube.

    This language is still very powerful for quick API access to the operating system, where .NET can be quirky and sluggish intermittently. As a developer I have come to embrace the strengths and disadvantages of both VB6 and VB.NET. You can simply write code that works most efficiently with VB6, then wrap or call that exe from a .NET exe, that utilizes unique or useful features of the .NET framework, ie graphics, processors, UIA etc. This strategy can maximize your programming potential. In fact, I often develop in VB.NET first then back-port it to VB6. Since the pretty formatting of code is already done, and explicit conversions are already the standard, thus cleaner code. Although, you do have to know that longs are now integers etc., which may be difficult if you are just learning .NET.

    For my latest project, I plan on updating VB6 to provide some additional functionality similar to the .NET IDE. If I come with anything good to share, then I will post back here.

  19. #179

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    148

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    they are still working on it...

  20. #180
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    513

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by loquat View Post
    they are still working on it...
    Sure, I was replying to stuck_in_the_past's work. Either way, I think there is no reason why he/they wouldn't want to post to youtube. It was mentioned in the thread. In fact, they can hide or link the videos by making them private. I do this with my pre-releases. For historical reason you would have the proof later if/when released. However, I see no reason why we can't verify the screen shots were not statically faked. Not that I doubt his story. He would get serious responses and backing by posting a working video that showcases the functions described here in this thread.

    Good luck, maybe we could do some live streaming sessions when testing builds.

  21. #181
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    513

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Ok I found out that Ismael M. over at the codeproject wrote up an article showing how to register a single dll that allows you to interop with any .NET dll from your vb6 appliation.
    However, the sample did not work for me on Windows 10 (1803), so I fixed it up a little and made a video showing how it works now. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2095UkNBrnk&t=38s
    Project files included.

    Sample call:
    Code:
    Private Sub show_Click()
       Dim param(0) As Variant
       param(0) = Me.hWnd
      Dim load As New LibraryInvoke
      load.GenericInvoke "C:\ProgramData\Temp\CSharpInterop\VB6Project\ClassLibrary1.dll", "ClassLibrary1.Class1", "ShowFormParent", param
    End Sub
    
    Private Sub showreturn_Click()
       Dim param(3) As Variant 'params in
       param(0) = True
       param(1) = 1
       param(2) = 1.5
       param(3) = "OK"
       Dim load As New LibraryInvoke
       Dim retorno As Variant
       retorno = load.GenericInvoke("C:\ProgramData\Temp\CSharpInterop\VB6Project\ClassLibrary1.dll", "ClassLibrary1.Class1", "Foo", param)
       MsgBox "Return: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & retorno(0) & vbCrLf & retorno(1) & vbCrLf & retorno(2) 'returns out
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

  22. #182
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,353

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    "Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language"

    The news here is that most guys in China are pretty smart, a few not so much though.

  23. #183
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,353

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    What's the status of this thing?


    Visual Basic Tools for Visual Studio

    Visual Basic® Tools for Visual Studio is an extension for Visual Studio® allowing to work on classic Visual Basic® projects within Visual Studio®. It´s intention is to provide better development tools for teams which have to maintain legacy code written in VB6, or working on migration projects which demand even better code navigation and analysis. Right now the toolset is still under development and some valueable features are not available yet, but it could already be worth it to try.
    Anyone try playing with it?

  24. #184
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    "Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language"

    The news here is that most guys in China are pretty smart, a few not so much though.
    I don't think that was necessary.

  25. #185
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I don't think that was necessary.
    It most certainly was not necessary, reported.

  26. #186
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    513

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    What's the status of this thing?


    Visual Basic Tools for Visual Studio



    Anyone try playing with it?
    I tried, but it won't install on the latest version of VS 2017 community, on Windows 10 (1803).
    Found installed product - Visual Studio Community 2017 7/2/2018 1:20:58 AM - VSIXInstaller.NoApplicableSKUsException: This extension is not installable on any currently installed products.
    It appears that it is supported on pro, so I will check when I get home.
    Supported Products :
    7/2/2018 1:20:58 AM - Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro
    7/2/2018 1:20:58 AM - Version : [11.0,13.0)

  27. #187
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    513

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    What's the status of this thing?
    Visual Basic Tools for Visual Studio
    Anyone try playing with it?
    I did finally get it running with VS 2015 community and the matching version of Visual Basic Tools w/key.
    Honestly, this is the closest I have seen anyone come, but it is not ready for real use yet.

    I ran into the following problems.
    No designer for form related stuff, only the code can be seen and edited.
    Builds fail, even with the build option on etc.
    When the build fails you must cancel the build, but now the menus are all custom and re-arranged. However credit to the author, since he appears to have added specific options in the .net IDE that relate to VB6.

    Ultimately, I would never use this product in the current state, and is unlikely he will finish it by himself. Not to mention the .net IDE is very sluggish and gets more cumbersome at each iteration and update. Soon .NET will be a static screen shot.

    I believe that a hybrid of VB6 would be more appropriate to extend the functionality, yet keep the clean, quick load time of the original IDE. I recommend the example I have given, since you can access anything .net related. Perhaps as a community we could share certain dll's that have brought in something useful from .NET. I can make a few examples for process manipulations, and UIA(user interface automation), since these are strong points of vb.net compared to vb6.

  28. #188
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,031

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    It most certainly was not necessary, reported.
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see the comment as offensive. It's not derisive in any way and, if it does single out a single race, it doesn't do so in a manner any worse than the title of this thread. If anything it leans marginally towards the complimentary.

    I'm well aware, though, that there may be a cultural/language difference here and I may be missing something. If I am, can one of you please pm me or re-report with a fuller explanation and I'll reconsider.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  29. #189
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    19,353

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    It was just a comment on the thread title of a pretty tired out thread. I suspect that it was meant to say "a few guys" but as worded it hilariously implies nearly the opposite thing.

    Seriously, if people are offended by that they might want to stick to sites using languages they have mastery of.

  30. #190
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Seriously, if people are offended by that they might want to stick to sites using languages they have mastery of.
    No need for the little digs... you continue.

  31. #191
    MS SQL Powerposter szlamany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    17,791

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Stop being so PC - it's too much.

    Dil taught me what litotes were a few weeks ago - he's a word master and we should bow to him

    And having Dil's "six" is something I'm not accustomed to!

    *** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

    Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

    Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

    MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

  32. #192
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,031

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    they might want to stick to sites using languages they have mastery of.
    That, on the other hand, is considerably closer to the line - even if meant in joke. Everyone's welcome here, regardless of their mastery of the language. Bluntly, I'm always impressed when anyone posts in a second language. I know I wouldn't be capable of doing so.

    Meantime, lets get things back on topic.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  33. #193
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Stop being so PC.
    Not being PC- who cares about being PC? Treat people as if you are in the room with them and stop being a twerp with the snide comments - it simply derails and as I said it is unnecessary. Just stop. It is childish.

  34. #194
    PowerPoster Zvoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To the moon and then left
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    *GNARF*
    Come on people.
    After a brilliant weekend with Iron Maiden playing a 30K-People Open Air in my Frontyard (10 minutes walking distance to the venue),
    and on Sunday Croatia beating Denmark in a Penalty-Shootout (which i definitely don't need again against Russia), i come back today to find people still beating on this thread like a dead horse.

    What dilettante probably alluded to (dil, correct me if i'm wrong):
    If you don't know english very well, then it would probably be a good idea to stick to forums in your native language (or any other language you're proficient in),
    because face it: most misunderstandings come from problem-descriptions which are hard to understand.
    Sometimes there are threads here from people asking help, but written in complete gibberish (btw: anyone every met a Gibber? You know, those people whose native language is gibberish. I'm still looking for one). Some threads look like a round-robin automatic translation through Google-Translator across 5 languages (including Suaheli and Klingon).

    What does this have to do with this thread?

    Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Now, how to read the title?
    "only (!!) a few guys want to write a new basic language. All others are smart enough to not touch that thing"

    Insert language-deficiencies!

    Now: Insert a "a" before "few", and suddenly the title reads completely different
    Breaking News, a few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Why something like this has to be reported escapes me, considering dilettantes standing in this forum.
    My two EURO-Cents!

    P.S.: in my very personal opinion: if you want to do serious programming (language-independant), learn english or look for another occupation.
    English is not my native language, but even i declare my variables using english words, because in that case reading source code is so much easier instead of switching languages around in my brain at "runtime"
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

  35. #195
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,031

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    stop being a twerp with the snide comments
    BOTH sides need to stop sniping. I honestly think this is borne out of a miss-understanding of Dil's post 182 but if both sides keep digging it won't matter. Leave the modding to the mods.

    Last time of asking - get back on topic.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  36. #196
    PowerPoster Zvoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    To the moon and then left
    Posts
    1,538

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Fd,

    big thx!
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

  37. #197
    Fanatic Member TTn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    513

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by TTn View Post
    Ok I found out that Ismael M. over at the codeproject wrote up an article showing how to register a single dll that allows you to interop with any .NET dll from your vb6 appliation.
    However, the sample did not work for me on Windows 10 (1803), so I fixed it up a little and made a video showing how it works now. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2095UkNBrnk&t=38s
    Project files included.

    Sample call:
    Code:
    Private Sub show_Click()
       Dim param(0) As Variant
       param(0) = Me.hWnd
      Dim load As New LibraryInvoke
      load.GenericInvoke "C:\ProgramData\Temp\CSharpInterop\VB6Project\ClassLibrary1.dll", "ClassLibrary1.Class1", "ShowFormParent", param
    End Sub
    
    Private Sub showreturn_Click()
       Dim param(3) As Variant 'params in
       param(0) = True
       param(1) = 1
       param(2) = 1.5
       param(3) = "OK"
       Dim load As New LibraryInvoke
       Dim retorno As Variant
       retorno = load.GenericInvoke("C:\ProgramData\Temp\CSharpInterop\VB6Project\ClassLibrary1.dll", "ClassLibrary1.Class1", "Foo", param)
       MsgBox "Return: " & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & retorno(0) & vbCrLf & retorno(1) & vbCrLf & retorno(2) 'returns out
    End Sub
    If anyone is having a problem compiling these dll's or registering the CSharpInteropService.dll let me know. Calling .NET functions from VB6 is cool. It fills in the gap where VB6 is lacking.
    Oh yeah, now we can do proper threading! Threads that doesn't crash at the slightest hiccup.

  38. #198
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    I have been in conversation with the original poster, the loquat chap and he seems like a nice chap who I believe just prematurely posted.

    His English is really quite limited which explains the 'guys' and the 'Wanna' in the OP title.

    As far as I can make out there is some design documentation entirely written in Chinese which the OP hasn't even seen yet. The OP does not seem to be a coder. His request for help was very premature as there does not appear to be any way of co-operating with them, they aren't on github or anything similar and are using Tencent QQ to chat, a local Chinese chat client. The code is currently closed and there seems to be no group structure, just a couple or three devs banging away at code. They seem to have no idea of group co-operation and are requesting help without any idea of what sort of help they actually require. There are two small groups and they do seem to have a defined target though for each and as I said, they seem to banging out code.

    I think the chance of assisting them in their efforts as suggested by the OP, is practically nil given the language barrier and the lack of a group effort. However, I won't immediately dismiss their efforts as it possible they will come up with something. I've seen amazing things from one-man bands.

  39. #199
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    151

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    I've seen amazing things from one-man bands.
    We've also seen many failures. So many, in fact, we have coined a term to describe them that makes it easy to dismiss them and move on: vaporware

  40. #200
    Lively Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    65

    Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

    Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    We've also seen many failures. So many, in fact, we have coined a term to describe them that makes it easy to dismiss them and move on: vaporware
    That maybe a little bit hasty, as I said, I've seen amazing things from one-man bands. In this case though you may be right...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width