Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language - Page 2-VBForums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

Re: Breaking News, few guys in China wanna write a new basic language

Quote Originally Posted by stuck-n-past View Post
    Well this is not the first time I've made the existence of my IDE known to others, and while is causes a little bit of a buzz right off the bat, there really isn't much interest on a larger scale. Believe me, if I thought it was something that would take-off so to speak, I'd do something about it.
    That's why we aren't swimming in a sea of open source projects: There are plenty of people who might like to use it...as long as somebody else writes it AND maintains it. As for committing serious time to something open source....well, that's a tougher sell. I use some open source stuff, to which I contribute financially, but I couldn't afford to contribute any meaningful amount of time.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

While the code is a mix of VB and C, mostly VB, I can always port it to another language and at the same time support a different model other then COM. I know that sounds like a huge undertaking, but I've already written code that converts C to VB with remarkable accuracy, it would just mean going the other direction.

And one has to understand that the majority of code deals with loading, saving, editing, lexicon / interpreting, debugging and the like. So it's 'value' encompasses much more then simply being a VB clone.

So other then those times where I am between projects and choose to play with the code, it will stay archived on CD's til needed. I can always hope to find the time and resources to finish the project at a later date.

One might say, therefore, that you have taken your VB out to C, but getting back in may not be a shore thing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

Shaggy - One good things is that I'm always up for a laugh!

Addicted Member

Stuck-n-Past

Why don't you use what you have to implement an and IDE for vbrichclient. I am not sure, But i would think alot of the work is done (frm file parsing etc).

Please make contact with Olaf and see if this is feasible.

I think most of on this board would like an vb6 alternative

WP

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    Stuck-n-Past

Why don't you use what you have to implement an and IDE for vbrichclient. I am not sure, But i would think alot of the work is done (frm file parsing etc).

Please make contact with Olaf and see if this is feasible.

I think most of on this board would like an vb6 alternative

WP
    Good suggestion although I am sure Olaf has his own plan, I know it takes like ages for Olaf's compiler and IDE to lift off but I am hopping it will see the light soon!!!

While the code is a mix of VB and C, mostly VB, I can always port it to another language and at the same time support a different model other then COM. I know that sounds like a huge undertaking, but I've already written code that converts C to VB with remarkable accuracy, it would just mean going the other direction.

And one has to understand that the majority of code deals with loading, saving, editing, lexicon / interpreting, debugging and the like. So it's 'value' encompasses much more then simply being a VB clone.

So other then those times where I am between projects and choose to play with the code, it will stay archived on CD's til needed. I can always hope to find the time and resources to finish the project at a later date.
    I'd certainly encourage you to make your work available for the rest of us to try.

Am I correct in assuming:-
    - you still need the VB6 Runtime
    - you compile using the VB6 C2.exe

How do you handle the intrinsic controls that are part of VB6 ?

Well this is not the first time I've made the existence of my IDE known to others, and while is causes a little bit of a buzz right off the bat, there really isn't much interest on a larger scale. Believe me, if I thought it was something that would take-off so to speak, I'd do something about it.
    You ever thought about putting it on something like GitHub? You could clean up the code, add some commenting and a few disclaimers and such and just leave it there. Who knows, maybe someday somebody might want to do something interesting with it. A lot of great apps, mostly free ones, were born as forks of something somebody open sourced. I think FireFox began as such. Android was born of Linux. Xamarin was born of Mono. The Entity Framework also began humbly as a small open source framework. It just doesn't happen as quickly as it would if a giant corporation was interested and can afford to put massive resources behind it for quick development. It can take decades before something interesting happens. But in general I think great projects like yours should be made open source, except in cases where you plan to commercialize it for your own ends. That's too much good work to just end up laying on someone's HD rotting away.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney

Fanatic Member

I thought I would include a couple more screenshots before cleaning it off my disk. I really wish this site allowed videos as it would be so much easier to see my IDE run instead of all the still-frame shots.

The form I have loaded in my IDE is the 'Tiny' test form which I use for repetitive testing of the some of the most basic functions.

All of the pictures are of the IDE operating in the single-step mode of debugging the Tiny Form's code.

The first picture is just prior to changing the forms Caption. The form's startup name is called Tiny Form

Name:  RE1.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  51.6 KB

In the second picture you can see the caption has changed and the code is preparing to set the width of the form

Name:  RE2.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  47.1 KB

Here you can see the Form's width has been changed and the code is using the saved value of the original forms width to restore it.

Name:  RE3.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  48.2 KB

The Form's width has been restored and the command buttons text is about to be changed from 'Command' to 'Cancel'

Name:  RE4.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  52.8 KB

The command button is now called Cancel and the Immediate window is about to be disabled.

Name:  RE5.JPG
Size:  53.0 KB
    Last edited by stuck-n-past; Nov 16th, 2017 at 02:59 AM.

Fanatic Member

You can see here that the immediate window has been disable and we are attempting to output text to it. The enable / disable feature of the immediate window is purely for speed purposes so one can leave debug statements in place but still be able to test what the performance would be if they were removed, or at least close to it. And then they can be turned back on without having go through a process of deleting and then retyping them.

Name:  RE6.JPG
Size:  49.9 KB

Here you can see that the debug text was not displayed and next we will turn the immediate window back on again.

Name:  RE7.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  49.6 KB

The immediate window is now on and a new text message is about to be written.

Name:  RE8.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  51.8 KB

The message has now appeared and we are declaring a string variable called 'text'

Name:  RE9.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  52.8 KB

This picture is showing the use of the intrinsic Time function being assigned to the text variable just declared.

Name:  RE10.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  53.0 KB
    Last edited by stuck-n-past; Nov 16th, 2017 at 03:02 AM.

Fanatic Member

In the next picture an attempt was made to leave an unfinished line of code and the IDE flagged it as an error. The lines color has been changed to Red and a Popup Message informing the user of the problem is displayed. The message includes a list of the allowable sub-commands.

Notice there isn't an OK button to click in order to continue programming. All one needs to do is to type another character and the message will be cleared. If the new text typed happens to corrects the syntax error, the code line will return to the proper color.

Name:  RE12.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  52.5 KB

In this picture another error has been detected, but with so many possible sub-commands, the warning message has been limited. There is an option to expand messages to include lengthy responses if one so chooses.

Name:  RE13.JPG
Size:  42.4 KB

You can't actually see the cursor on the screenshots, something I need to fix in my capture program, but the mouse happens to be hovering over the 'text' variable. This has caused the IDE to lookup the value of the variable and display it's contents in a popup. There are situations in the original VB where popup messages overlap one another, so I made sure there is plenty of space between message and the related statement.

Name:  RE14.JPG
Views: 138
Size:  44.6 KB

Here again the IDE is displaying the contents of a variable, this time instead of a string, it's an Integer and it shows both the Decimal and Hex values. There is an option to include Binary as well.

If you look up a couple of lines in the code you can see some of the language enhancements available when assigning variables, similar to what you might find in C.

Name:  RE15.JPG
Size:  40.6 KB

In the last picture as this is taking too much time without being able to use a video, you can see where I tried to exit from the IDE after making changes, without first saving the work. The IDE keeps a list of modified files and notifies the users as to what needs to be saved.

Name:  RE11.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  34.5 KB
    Last edited by stuck-n-past; Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:16 AM.

Fanatic Member

I know that some of the examples seem a bit cheesy, like changing the caption on the Form and Command Button, but once the code is in place and capable of gaining access to VB objects and their properties, then the code should be capable of modifying any of them. As long as the Library-Viewer (Object-Browser) is working properly, then the IDE can modify properties of any given object following the COM model.

If I had more time I could demonstrate many additional features, I wasn't able to even reach the part of the test code where there are examples of conditional statements or loops.

I did show a call to an intrinsic function, the IDE is also capable of calling API's with most of them being predefined. No more searching and pulling your hair out when you don't have the proper signature of a DLL call. Well unless it's one that's not defined, but I have assembled quite a large list.

And not only API's, Enums and Types are also built in so you don't have to go looking for these either. Of course you can always override any of them with a local deceleration.

I would love to show more of the IDE's abilities, but it's time to get back to the daily grind.
    Last edited by stuck-n-past; Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:22 AM.

Fanatic Member

I really wish this site allowed videos as it would be so much easier to see my IDE run instead of all the still-frame shots.
    The next time you have time, just post a video to youtube, et al (private if you wish) and link to it.

Hyperactive Member

Hi stuck-n-past, could you show us how your IDE references third-party COM components? In addition, do you have a complete project developed with your IDE? Thanks.

Fanatic Member

topshot - while I tend to be a YouTube junkie when it comes to watching, I've never uploaded a video. That sounds like a pretty good solution and yet the thought never even crossed my mind - duh. It's like multiple choice for me, senility, dementia or Alzheimer's, take your pick, either way my mind's definitely not as sharp as it used to be.

Fanatic Member

dreammanor - I'm not completely sure what your asking in regards to 3rd party COM components.

I treat COM Objects / Components all in the same manner, and all with the same functions and routines. As long as it conforms to the proper standards, the access is consistent across the board.

As for a complete project, I test with VB modules that incorporates every possible statement and construct available. It's a 'test-bed' of sorts for putting the IDE through it's paces with a predetermined data-set output / baseline.

After changes are made to the IDE, I run the test-bed project and it automatically compares it own output to that of the baseline, immediately letting me know if the changes were successful. It's a great way to insure modifications don't take the development effort in a backwards direction, and as to whether or not a bug, unrelated to the changes, was able to sneak in during the process. So I guess you could say the test-bad is a complete project.

Fanatic Member

It's like multiple choice for me, senility, dementia or Alzheimer's, take your pick, either way my mind's definitely not as sharp as it used to be.
    I understand.

It's quite simple to upload to your account. Just make sure you record in at least 720p and your final product is in one of the common video formats they support. By default I think it will be public (able to be found in searches). You'll need to set it to private so the direct link is required to view.

Hyperactive Member

dreammanor - I'm not completely sure what your asking in regards to 3rd party COM components.

I treat COM Objects / Components all in the same manner, and all with the same functions and routines. As long as it conforms to the proper standards, the access is consistent across the board.

As for a complete project, I test with VB modules that incorporates every possible statement and construct available. It's a 'test-bed' of sorts for putting the IDE through it's paces with a predetermined data-set output / baseline.

After changes are made to the IDE, I run the test-bed project and it automatically compares it own output to that of the baseline, immediately letting me know if the changes were successful. It's a great way to insure modifications don't take the development effort in a backwards direction, and as to whether or not a bug, unrelated to the changes, was able to sneak in during the process. So I guess you could say the test-bad is a complete project.
    If your IDE could reference and use 3rd party COM components just like VB6, then you could use vbRichClient5 to enhance your IDE. We would like to know what effect is after using vbRichClient5?

Fanatic Member

dreammanor, I wish I had a better answer for you other then the vbRichClient5 should run and function under my IDE without any problem as long as it conforms to the COM model.

I don't have vbRichClient5 downloaded to be able to test with, and I have already removed my IDE from my development machine. I would love nothing more then to spend time on my IDE putting together all of the finishing touches, but it has a fairly low priority with it's relatively low ROI.

On another note, all it can be called is an OCD. I just can't relax and let things go when I know there's a problem. Ever since I brought my IDE back to life a few days back, the tiny-weenie toolbar icons were bugging me to death.

It's like being taken over by my alter ego telling me that I just had to know why. So after looking into it I found that a reference to the VB run-time files was broken causing an error. After correcting the invalid path, I took more screenshots of the toolbar which supports both an icon only view and an icon + title view.

So sorry, I'm sure by now your all completely done with the over kill of IDE screenshots. However... after correcting the toolbar icon problem, and doing the unthinkable of grabbing more pictures, I just couldn't upload them right away being leery about posting even more crap.

Then while deleting the IDE code, I was staring at these two lonely pictures and figured what the heck and well here they are. I promise, no more.

This is the toolbar view of icons only.

Name:  TB4.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  13.4 KB

Here is the list with icons and titles

Name:  TB5.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  17.0 KB
    Last edited by stuck-n-past; Nov 18th, 2017 at 01:18 AM.

Lively Member

No offense stuck-n-past, but why do I feel you are just teasing us?!!
    What do you have to loose for not to post the source code or open source it and let others worry about bugs/problems and you just go relax?!!
    I do not see a point of removing your "IDE" from your development machine!!!!, do bugs float on the screen while it is there in folder with dust covering it?! or maybe it bloats your OS and hard drive causing your machine to perform badly?!!!

Again no offense here but I just can't help my mind "bugging" me with different feelings and conflicts about this!!

Fanatic Member

labmany - First I'd like to apologize to any and all that feel I shouldn't have posted information about my IDE, perhaps I made a mistake in doing so. My intention was not to upset or 'tease' anybody, but to demonstrate to all that creating a clone of VB is more then doable for anybody with the desire to put forth the effort.

What I choose to keep or remove from my PC is entirely a personal choice which is really nobodies business but my own. But if you must know, I perform nightly backups of my current system with daily restore points. By keeping down the number and size of files, the process not only runs faster but uses fewer resources. And keeping code on DVD is much safer then storing it on disk drives.

As for why I have not released my code to the world, I would kindly direct you back to post #22 of this thread.

Out of curiosity though, would you expect for Microsoft to make VB6 open source upon receiving an email request?

Microsoft is a giant with revenue beyond comprehension, able to absorb any type of financial hit from such a release, and yet the probability of VB6 becoming public is all but nonexistent.

I will however be more careful in the future before I make known the existence of code in my possession that is not to be made open source. I'm am not here to tease or upset anybody, and if I have, then I do apologize.

Lively Member

No need to apologize, and you are totally free to do whatever you like and whatever to your best interest.

Best wishes to you.

So are these IDE's an attempt to just replace the VB6 IDE? I mean, is it just to ensure continued existence of the VB6 language? I've heard of a few attempts of people creating their own VB6 compilers and such. Is the goal to also extend the language into a VB7-ish future? Was this already answered somewhere in this giant thread and I missed it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12