Thread: [RESOLVED] ole automation

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] ole automation

i have a portable application i wrote 10+ years ago, which i copied on to a computer, where it worked fine, until i installed office, i now get error 68 device unavailable as soon as i try to start the program, i believe it is caused by trying to reference stdole32 version 2, when office has now installed a later version

i see that any new project i start already has a reference to ole automation, is this particularly required? or should it only be referenced when actually needed?

i am sure i can fix the immediate problem, but am interested for future projects, or how to avoid update problems
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

PowerPoster

Re: ole automation

This has been part of Windows for a very long time. It has been a core part of VB for quite a while, at least VB5 and VB6, probably 32-bit VB4.

See Supported and shipping in Windows.

It seems very unlikely that MS Office "replaced" it with an incompatible version.

Device unavailable (Error 68) doesn't sound like it has anything to do with this typelib.
    Last edited by dilettante; Nov 11th, 2017 at 04:11 PM.

Hi,

Printer problem ?
    see Link ...https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.60).aspx

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

Device unavailable (Error 68) doesn't sound like it has anything to do with this typelib.
    quite correct, the real problem was elsewhere

Printer problem ?
    no printer used in this app

real problem was caused be a drive list box, not sure why it started after installing office

i was a bit hasty starting this thread and will mark resolved
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete