Is the re an easy way to pluck out the set of digits from a textbox entry?-VBForums

Thread: Is the re an easy way to pluck out the set of digits from a textbox entry?

Is the re an easy way to pluck out the set of digits from a textbox entry?

Two sets of data in a line are separated using a "-" as follows: XXXX - ###, or XXXXXX - ##, or even XX - ###
    The number of digits at the end can change from 1 to 4. The hyphen is a separator.

Is there a single line of code that will see the hyphen then pull out the rest of the line to the right of the hyphen?

I am considering reading the number of digits in the phrase, counting to the hyphen, subtract the two then grab that number of digits after the hyphen. Too many lines of code.

Is there a singe command to do this?

Re: Is the re an easy way to pluck out the set of digits from a textbox entry?

Try using String.Split("-")

If you can guarantee the hyphen exist and there is only one you can use it directly,
    Code:
    Dim numbers as string = myTextBox.Text.Split("-")(1)
    If you can't make those assumptions, then you will need to test how many array elements are returned from the split method

Code:
    Dim parts() as string = myTextBox.Text.Split("-")
    Select case parts.count
    case <2 'no hyphen
    case =2 'one hyphen
    case else 'multiple hyphens
    Of course you said you want a single line, so for that you will need to use linq, which I'm afraid I cannot help with.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

Addicted Member

If you only want the numbers you could iterate the chars

Code:
            Dim OldString As String = "gerjhvwe-546541"
            Dim NewString As String = ""
            For Each c As Char In OldString
                If IsNumeric(c) Then
                    NewString &= Asc(c)
                End If
            Next
            Dim NewInt As Integer = CInt(NewString)
    You could also use Regular Expressions I am sure

The line:

Dim numbers As String = txtLineOfText.Text.Split("-")(1)

works but either Option Explicit or Option Strict doesn't like it but I am not all that concerned for the moment.

Thanks for the quick response.