Thread: Trying to automate searching Outlook's address book and need optimization tips->

Frenzied Member

Trying to automate searching Outlook's address book and need optimization tips->

Hi,

Looking for a way to quickly find e-mail addresses associated with a contact's name I wrote a program to do exactly this and it works fine except for the fact that when dealing with an addressbook containing 70000 or so contacts it's so slow that it takes several minutes to read the addressbook or to go through all the contacts collected to find an e-mail address.

When the user selects an addressbook or an address entry type (Outlook.OlAddressEntryUserType) it collects all contacts that meet the criteria using the following code:

Code:
     e.Result = (From Contact In .OutlookO.GetNamespace("MAPI").AddressLists(.AddressList).AddressEntries Where DirectCast(Contact, Outlook.AddressEntry).AddressEntryUserType = .AddressType Select DirectCast(Contact, Outlook.AddressEntry)).ToArray()
    "e.Result" refers to return value for the backgroundworker object used to execute the above code.

"ContactsSource.Contacts" refers to an Outlook.AddressEntry array that is part of the public ContactsSource structure.

Code:
             Dim EMailAddresses As New List(Of String)
             Dim FirstContact As Outlook.AddressEntry = Nothing

Name = Name.Trim()

If ContactsSource.Contacts.Count > 0 Then
                FirstContact = ContactsSource.Contacts.First
                If FirstContact.GetContact() IsNot Nothing Then
                   For Each Contact As Outlook.AddressEntry In From ContactO In ContactsSource.Contacts Where ContactO.GetContact().FullName.IndexOf(Name, StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase) > -1
                      With Contact.GetContact()
                         EMailAddresses.AddRange({ .Email1Address, .Email2Address, .Email3Address})
                      End With
                   Next Contact
                ElseIf FirstContact.GetExchangeDistributionList() IsNot Nothing Then
                   For Each Contact As Outlook.AddressEntry In From ContactO In ContactsSource.Contacts Where ContactO.GetExchangeDistributionList.Name.IndexOf(Name, StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase) > -1
                      EMailAddresses.Add(Contact.GetExchangeDistributionList.PrimarySmtpAddress)
                   Next Contact
                ElseIf FirstContact.GetExchangeUser() IsNot Nothing Then
                   For Each Contact As Outlook.AddressEntry In From ContactO In ContactsSource.Contacts Where ContactO.GetExchangeUser.Name.IndexOf(Name, StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase) > -1
                      EMailAddresses.Add(Contact.GetExchangeUser.PrimarySmtpAddress)
                   Next Contact
                End If
    Does any one here know how to optimize the code so that it only takes seconds instead of minutes to go through a large number contacts? Any help would be appreciated.

The full program code has been attached to this post as Sea.zip.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo's

Re: Trying to automate searching Outlook's address book and need optimization tips->

You will suffer a performance hit when using LINQ. Generally speaking, it is not that big of a deal but when you're working with that many values then yeah... it's noticeable. My first suggestion would be to see if you see an immediate relief when you use a For/Next loop instead. I've never worked with this namespace, but here is some pseudo code (that may or may not work):
    Code:
    'Get all of the entries
    Dim entries As AddressEntries = .OutlookO.GetNamespace("MAPI").AddressLists(.AddressList).AddressEntries

'Create a list to store the entries that are AddressType
    Dim addresses As New List(Of Outlook.AddressEntry)

'Placeholder variable for the entry
    Dim entry As AddressEntry

'Iterate through the collection
    For index As Integer = 0 To entries.Count - 1
        'Assign the value of the placeholder
        entry = DirectCast(entries.Item(index), Outlook.AddressEntry)

'Check if it is an AddressType
        If entry.AddressEntryUserType = .AddressType
            'Add it to the collection
            address.Add(entry)
        End If
    Next
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Frenzied Member

Re: Trying to automate searching Outlook's address book and need optimization tips->

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    You will suffer a performance hit when using LINQ. Generally speaking, it is not that big of a deal but when you're working with that many values then yeah... it's noticeable. My first suggestion would be to see if you see an immediate relief when you use a For/Next loop instead. I've never worked with this namespace, but here is some pseudo code (that may or may not work):
    Code:
    'Get all of the entries
    Dim entries As AddressEntries = .OutlookO.GetNamespace("MAPI").AddressLists(.AddressList).AddressEntries

'Create a list to store the entries that are AddressType
    Dim addresses As New List(Of Outlook.AddressEntry)

'Placeholder variable for the entry
    Dim entry As AddressEntry

'Iterate through the collection
    For index As Integer = 0 To entries.Count - 1
        'Assign the value of the placeholder
        entry = DirectCast(entries.Item(index), Outlook.AddressEntry)

'Check if it is an AddressType
        If entry.AddressEntryUserType = .AddressType
            'Add it to the collection
            address.Add(entry)
        End If
    Next
    Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. I completely removed the usage of LINQ (with the exception of a few references to .Distinct and .Count). At the moment I don't have access (and won't until next tuesday) to an Outlook addressbook with several thousand contacts. Could some one who does have access to such a large addressbook test the attached update and time how long it takes to run?

Thanks.

Hi Peter,

I would read the Contacts to a Database, but this might help anyway

Code:
    Imports Outlook

Public Class Form3

Private Sub Form3_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            ListView1.View = View.Details
            ListView1.Columns.Add("Name", 150, HorizontalAlignment.Left)
            ListView1.Columns.Add("Email", 250, HorizontalAlignment.Left)
            'add more...
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim outlookApplication As Outlook.Application = New Outlook.Application()
            Dim oNS As Outlook.NameSpace = outlookApplication.GetNamespace("mapi")
            oNS.Logon("Outlook", Reflection.Missing.Value, False, True)
            Dim oContacts As Outlook.MAPIFolder = oNS.GetDefaultFolder(Outlook.OlDefaultFolders.olFolderContacts)
            Dim objItems = oContacts.Items

For i As Integer = 1 To oContacts.Items.Count
                Dim contact = DirectCast(objItems.Item(i), ContactItem)

'search for a Lastname
                ' If contact.LastName.Contains("Swinkels") Then

Dim lvi As ListViewItem = New ListViewItem(contact.Email1DisplayName)
                lvi.SubItems.Add(contact.Email1Address)
                'add more Data....
                'add to Listview or to a Database Table
                ListView1.Items.Add(lvi)
                ' End If
            Next i

oNS = Nothing
            objItems = Nothing
            outlookApplication = Nothing
        End Sub
    regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Hi Peter,

as I will need something like this in the future, I gave it some more thought.
    It will be better to use the OLEDB to search and Filter what you want. There are still some
    loose ends like..
    the export to the Database , all Fileds have a lenght of 255 Characters.

here what I have got so far.
    there is no need to reference Outlook

sorry, you will have to translate to Englisch values

Code:
    Imports System.Data.OleDb
    'no need to reference Outlook, you just need the OLEDB

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            txtFolderName.Text = "Persönliche Ordner" ' probably "Personel Folder"
            txtProfile.Text = "Outlook"
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

' Build the connection string.
            Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                                            "Outlook 9.0;" & "MAPILEVEL=" & txtFolderName.Text & _
                                            "|;" & "PROFILE=" & txtProfile.Text & ";" & _
                                            "TABLETYPE=0;" & "DATABASE=" & System.IO.Path.GetTempPath()
            'you might have to change the above to : Exchange 4.0; instead of Outlook 9.0;

'Build your search string(s)
            Dim sSQL As String = "SELECT Vorname, Nachname,[E-Mail-Adresse] FROM Kontakte"
            Dim sWhere As String = Nothing

If TextBox1.Text <> Nothing Then
                sWhere &= "And (Vorname Like '" & TextBox1.Text & "%') "
            End If
            If TextBox2.Text <> Nothing Then
                sWhere &= "And (Nachname Like '" & TextBox2.Text & "%') "
            End If
            If sWhere <> Nothing Then
                sWhere = " Where " & sWhere.Substring(4)
            End If

sSQL &= sWhere & " Order by Nachname"
            'check your Sql-String with MsgBox
            'MsgBox(sSQL)

' Create the DataAdapter.
            Dim da As New OleDbDataAdapter(sSQL, connectionString)

' Create and fill the table.
            Dim dt As New DataTable("Kontakte")
            Try
                da.Fill(dt)
                DataGridView1.DataSource = dt.DefaultView
                DGVColumsAutoSize(True)
            Catch ex As EvaluateException
                MessageBox.Show("ERROR: " + ex.Message)
                Return
            End Try

End Sub

Private Sub DataGridView1_DataBindingComplete(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewBindingCompleteEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.DataBindingComplete
            'Format the Emailaddress
            For Each r As DataGridViewRow In DataGridView1.Rows
                r.Cells("E-Mail-Adresse") = New DataGridViewLinkCell()
                Dim c As DataGridViewLinkCell = TryCast(r.Cells("E-Mail-Adresse"), DataGridViewLinkCell)
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub DataGridView1_CellContentClick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellContentClick
            'use the Emailaddress to write a new Email
            If TypeOf DataGridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex) Is DataGridViewLinkCell Then
                Process.Start("mailto:" + DataGridView1.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).Value)
            End If
        End Sub
        Public Sub DGVColumsAutoSize(ByVal AutoSize As Boolean)
            If DataGridView1 Is Nothing Then
                Exit Sub
            End If

Dim ColumnMode As DataGridViewAutoSizeColumnMode
            If AutoSize Then
                ColumnMode = DataGridViewAutoSizeColumnMode.AllCells
            Else
                ColumnMode = DataGridViewAutoSizeColumnMode.None
            End If

With DataGridView1
                For i As Integer = 0 To .Columns.Count - 1
                    .Columns(i).AutoSizeMode = ColumnMode
                Next
            End With
        End Sub

Private Sub Button3_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button3.Click

' Build the connection string.
            Dim connectionString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                                            "Outlook 9.0;" & "MAPILEVEL=" & txtFolderName.Text & _
                                            "|;" & "PROFILE=" & txtProfile.Text & ";" & _
                                            "TABLETYPE=0;" & "DATABASE=" & System.IO.Path.GetTempPath()

'send the Data to a new Table in Access
            Dim sSQL As String = "SELECT * INTO MyKontakte IN 'c:\TestData.mdb' FROM Kontakte;"

'Create the DataAdapter.
            Dim da As New OleDbDataAdapter(sSQL, connectionString)
            ' Create and fill the table.
            Dim dt As New DataTable("Kontakte")
            da.Fill(dt)
        End Sub
    regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.