Thread: SQL Command Text and Updates With ADODB

SQL Command Text and Updates With ADODB

This working code lets the user enter something in a cell, click a button in Excel and exports the data into a SQL Server database. The problem is that I would like to do multiple updates. The code works when I have one line of code doing only one update. But it does not work when I add more updates. Any suggestions?
    Code:
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim Cn As ADODB.Connection
    Dim Server_Name As String
    Dim Database_Name As String
    Dim SQLStr As String
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    Const adParamInput = 1
    Const adVarChar = 200

Server_Name = "MyServer" 
    Database_Name = "MyDatabase" 

Set Cn = New ADODB.Connection
    Cn.Open "Driver={SQL Server};Server=" & Server_Name & ";Database=" & Database_Name & ";"

Dim SQL As ADODB.Command
    Set SQL = New ADODB.Command

SQL.CommandText = "UPDATE [MyDatabase].[dbo].[Test] SET [name] =(?) WHERE [id] = 1;"
    SQL.CommandText = SQL.CommandText + "UPDATE [Mydatabase].[dbo].[name] SET [name] =(?) WHERE [id] = 2;"

SQL.Parameters.Append SQL.CreateParameter("name", adVarChar, adParamInput, 50, name)
    SQL.Parameters.Append SQL.CreateParameter("name1", adVarChar, adParamInput, 50, name1)

SQL.ActiveConnection = Cn
    SQL.Execute

Cn.Close
    Set Cn = Nothing

End Sub
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Nov 4th, 2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Added CODE tags.

Re: SQL Command Text and Updates With ADODB

Welcome to the forums. I edited your post to add [CODE][/CODE] tags, which you can do by pressing the # button and pasting the code between the resulting tags.

As to the question, you're going to have to say what "doesn't work" means. Are you getting errors? Does nothing happen? Also, it would help if you showed us how you are trying to do multiple updates.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Re: SQL Command Text and Updates With ADODB

I never seen stacking multiple updates like that. Seems like that would be OK but not the parameter passing.

I would make that a single called sub or function and call it once for each update, i.e. a loop.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!