Thread: New Computer, lost VS 2008 install CD

New Computer, lost VS 2008 install CD

Hopefully, this is appropriate here. I have a new computer and want to move my entire development platform over to it. My VS 2008 installation DVD is missing. I got it when I was taking classes at a University years ago.

Preferably, I want to stick with VS 2008, as I've developed several apps my company uses and they are crucial to what we do. I'm comfortable with this version.

My presumption is that the "spider web chaos" and "house of cards" projects/apps would be problematic if using with a newer version of VS. Is this true? If so, can anyone help me get my hands on VS 2008? Even if I have to buy it again, so be it.

I'm asking here because we've purchased other legacy software products, Adobe Acrobat, for example, from online sources only to have trouble getting a working Product Key. We'd like to avoid that potential by asking you guys... the experts, many of you have helped me since 2008, and have been crucial in my apps functioning properly. Hoping you can guide me through these murky waters so I don't get burned and my apps can continue to be modified/updated.

Thanks.
    Things I've found useful:
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

Quote of the day from jmcilhinney:
    'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

Re: New Computer, lost VS 2008 install CD

Well... doing a little more searching, I found this and am downloading it now. No product key required. I'd still like to know the ramifications of using my project in a newer version of VS.

EDIT: It was just the Service Pack (SP1). I'm still searching for VS 2008.
    Last edited by jazFunk; Nov 1st, 2017 at 03:25 PM.
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

I did that once, too.

I wouldn't stick with VS2008 for any reason. It was a good release, but 2010 was better. There's no real downside to moving at least that far. Beyond that, I felt that 2012 was ugly as sin, 2013 was pretty good, 2015 was a placeholder, and 2017 is pretty good....but a resource hog like no other.

With 2008, you are stuck with framework 3.5, 3.0, or 2.0. The 3.5 FW includes many modern features, but leaves out plenty. Once again there isn't much point in sticking there. I'd go with FW 4.0, at least, but VS2010 offers up 4.0 in addition to the ones from 2008, so you'd get to choose.

You may still be able to get 2008 with an MSDN subscription. I haven't looked to see whether or not it is available, but even VB6 is available with an MSDN subscription. That's a pretty steep price to pay relative to just going with a newer version, though.

Finally, as a general rule, moving to newer versions of VS from older versions has been utterly painless, for me. I've stuck with 2010 for one project simply because the project uses XNA, which will work with newer versions, but only with some tinkering. The other reason was that I was using a computer that really lacked the resources to run some of the newer (piggier) versions. That's no longer the case. I still think that 2010 was the most beautiful version, with a good mix between speed and features. There are many more features from 2013 on, and some of those are really quite nice, but I don't miss them any when I step back to 2010. Of course, if you do try out a newer version, there's no reason not to get 2017. In fact, you could get the CE version for free, see how your projects ran, and decide only after that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

You don't want to know.

The only relatively legal way to obtain VS 2008 would be to purchase an MSDN subscription that provides access to VS 2008. Generally MS's policy has been "If you buy the most current license, you can 'downgrade' it to a previous version." But these days, they don't really sell "Visual Studio", they sell "MSDN subscriptions with Visual Studio". I haven't checked the price in a while, but I think you're going to have to start looking at about the $500/seat level.

You'll really want to talk with Microsoft and confirm this first before moving on.

If you obtain a disc/key online from someone that isn't MS, you're taking on whatever the legal risks of software piracy are in your jurisdiction. You'll probably never get caught, but the consequences can be dire if you are.

The development styles you described were terrible in VS 2008 and aren't any better in VS 2017. The reasons they don't work don't have anything to do with the tools. That said, project files upgrade real nice, and I haven't ever had a problem with upgrading a .NET project between versions. You can download VS 2017 for free, right now, and import your projects to give it a go.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

I found my 2008 version! Although, I have already installed 2010. I converted one of the simple projects to the newer version and the error I received was that Crystal Reports is no longer included with VS. I opened the project with 2008 and everything works.

I will bring projects over one by one, simplest to complex and test.

This weekend I will be able to test the converted version. Not certain if the crystal reports engine is installed now that I have 2008 installed. But I'll post back my results.

Never intended, nor did we purchase software illegally, from our perspective. It was from a highly rated seller on some common selling sites on the internet, without naming names. We're in the process of creating resolution with Adobe and the seller... but it's a pain in the rear.

You don't want to know.

You don't have to convince me, but a judge/prosecutor isn't going to see it "from your perspective". If the "highly rated seller" isn't authorized to license Microsoft or Adobe's software, what they are doing is illegal (in most jurisdictions.)
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

It came in a red Adobe Acrobat box with the product key printed on it. It appeared to be legitimate.

Generally speaking, I would recommend using the most recent version unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, Crystal Reports integration in your existing project may be just such a reason. That said, I'd still recommend installing VS 2017 Community Edition, which is free, to be used for new projects and those existing projects that can be upgraded without issue. With regards to reports, SQL Server 2017 Express Edition, which is free, can be installed with Reporting Services, so you can use that instead of CR, unless a customer requires CR of course. You don't even need that if you use only client-side reports.

Frenzied Member

To be clear, VSCE is free only if you meet the license requirements. It's not clear on the size of OP's company. It's generally not free for an "enterprise" (>250 PCs/users or $1M revenue) and for non-enterprise up to 5 devs can use it.

Technically, OP may not be able to use his VS2008 since it was likely an academic license and he's no longer in school. I think you got to use those for maybe a year after graduation?

Addicted Member

I still have VS2008 installed because it's the last version capable of developing Windows CE applications. (Compact Framework)

I could be wrong of course but I could never get any Windows CE working in VS2010

Everything else I do is VS2010 I just never felt the need to upgrade to anything newer.