Thread: Check which keyboard is typing [BARCODE SCANNER]

Question Check which keyboard is typing [BARCODE SCANNER]

Hi!
    I have a computer with a USB keyboard and a USB Barcode Scanner that works sending the readed codes as very fast keystrokes.

Now my app it's a 100% keylogger but I want to differentiate the usb Keyboard with the Barcode Scanner to send only the readed Barcodes to the keylogger. And if it's possible catch the barcode reader keystrokes to not be written in the focused window.

This is the code I'm using.

Declarations
    Code:
    Private Declare Function SetWindowsHookEx Lib "user32.dll" _
        Alias "SetWindowsHookExA" (ByVal idHook As Long, _
                                    ByVal lpfn As Long, _
                                    ByVal hmod As Long, _
                                    ByVal dwThreadId As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function UnhookWindowsHookEx Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hHook As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function CallNextHookEx Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hHook As Long, _
                                                              ByVal nCode As Long, _
                                                              ByVal wParam As Long, _
                                                              ByRef lParam As Any) As Long

Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32.dll" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (ByRef Destination As Any, _
                                                                             ByRef Source As Any, _
                                                                             ByVal Length As Long)

Private Declare Function GetAsyncKeyState Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal vKey As Long) As Integer

Private Const WH_KEYBOARD_LL As Long = 13

Public Type KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT
        VkCode As Long
        ScanCode As Long
        Flags As Long
        Time As Long
        DwExtraInfo As Long
    End Type

Dim KBHook As Long
    Dim KeyData As String

Public Sub main()
        ManageKeylogger True
    End Sub
    Keyboard Hook
    Code:
    Public Sub ManageKeylogger(ByVal Enable As Boolean)
        Select Case Enable
            Case True
                KBHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_KEYBOARD_LL, AddressOf KBProc, App.hInstance, 0)
            Case False
                Call UnhookWindowsHookEx(KBHook)
        End Select
    End Sub
    Keyboard callback method
    Code:
    Public Function KBProc(ByVal nCode As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, lParam As Long) As Long
        Dim KeyBoardHook As KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT

If nCode = 0 Then
            CopyMemory KeyBoardHook, lParam, Len(KeyBoardHook)
            With KeyBoardHook
                If .Flags = 0 Or .Flags = 1 Then
                    If SaveLog(TranslateKey(.VkCode)) > 0 Then
                        Call LogToFile(App.Path & "\Log.log")
                    End If
                End If
            End With
        Else
            KBProc = CallNextHookEx(KBHook, nCode, wParam, lParam)
        End If
    End Function
    Key translation
    Code:
    Private Function TranslateKey(ByVal KeyCode As Long) As String
    'Stuff
    End Function
    Log
    Code:
    Public Function SaveLog(ByVal sKey As String) As Double
        KeyData = KeyData & sKey
        SaveLog = Len(KeyData)
    End Function

Public Sub LogToFile(ByVal sPath As String)
        Open sPath For Binary As #1
            Put #1, , KeyData
        Close #1
    End Sub

Re: Check which keyboard is typing [BARCODE SCANNER]

I think you may be out of luck here. At least not with out some really low level stuff going on... By the time anything is going to see it, including the API hooks, the keys are already in the keyboard buffer, so there's no differentiation on their source. If you are looking to intercept the data from the scanner, then I think you're going to need to get down and dirty and talk to the USB directly, and find the right port and read directly from it, preventing it from getting into the keyboard buffer in the first place. That's defiantly at a lower level than where you're at now. It's also not something I know how to do, but I know there are others around here who are more knowledgable about this sort of thing than I am, maybe they can shed some light on it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Yeah I think if you want to do anything more with a scanner other than just see the input as keystrokes then you need to use a different interface. For example if you use one that uses an RS232 interface then you can detect what the scanner sends, what the code type is and possibly other information without much issue but when you are using a simple keyboard wedge interface your hands are tied.

PowerPoster

I concur: keys is keys at the point you are trying to snag them.

It has to work that way. Many devices can present themselves as USB keyboards (special keypads, even page scanner buttons) and the "keystrokes" are intermixed.

Some USB devices may present as a serial port, others as some custom or raw USB device. Those often need a DLL from the maker's SDK.

Some can even do both, but turning off the keyboard activity when you want to read from the custom device can be problematic. The "keyboarding" can resume spontaneously and wreak havoc on the user's desktop.

It is best to use a product where you have only non-key emulation, or at least one with a hard switch or option to deactivate keystroking.

Fanatic Member

Add me to the list of "people who have never attempted this", but it may be possible:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...tiple-keyboard

That article uses C#, but it provides a list of the required APIs if someone wanted to attempt this in VB6.
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

gibra

The KeyCode intercepted by KeyDown and KeyUp events is different if received from keyboard or barcode reader (it can be my KRAUN CCD barcode scanner...)
    Try a small experiment:

create a New blank project, in Form1 add:
    -1 TextBox (Text1)
    -1 CommandButton (cmdClear)
    -1 Checkbox (chkKB - Caption="Keyboard")
    -2 ListBox (List1, List2, place side by side)

Paste this code
    Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
        Text1.Text = vbNullString
        List1.Clear
        List2.Clear
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Resize()
        If Me.WindowState = vbMinimized Then Exit Sub
        With Me
            List1.Height = .ScaleHeight - List1.Top
            List2.Height = List1.Height
        End With
    End Sub

Private Sub Text1_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
        If chkKB.Value Then
            List2.AddItem "--KeyDown" & KeyCode
        Else
            List1.AddItem "--KeyDown" & KeyCode
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Text1_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
        If chkKB.Value Then
            List2.AddItem "KeyPress" & KeyAscii
        Else
            List1.AddItem "KeyPress" & KeyAscii
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Text1_KeyUp(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
        If chkKB.Value Then
            List2.AddItem "--KeyUp" & KeyCode
        Else
            List1.AddItem "--KeyUp" & KeyCode
        End If
    End Sub
    Run project,
    1 - scan a barcode with reader on Text1 (List1 will fill)
    2 - now set chkKB.Value to checked
    3 - now type the same code usign kwyboard (list2 will fill)

Compare the two results...
    Last edited by gibra; Oct 23rd, 2017 at 05:23 PM.

Lively Member

I think you may be out of luck here. At least not with out some really low level stuff going on...
    ... don't know if this may be helpfull, but have a look at HIDmacros (www.hidmacros.eu).

This small utility *can* differentiate between several keyboards and can use this to do different things. Outside of VB of course.
    May be somewhat of a kludge, but it worked for me.

You can use `RegisterRawInputDevices` to listen for `WM_INPUT` messages, then access input data with `GetRawInputData` and filter on RIM_TYPEKEYBOARD + WM_KEYDOWN + HID device ID to differentiate b/n keyboard and barcode input.

Here is a working sample project: UsbBarcodeSanner.zip

Note that `WM_INPUT` messages are sent to the registered hWnd regardless if your app/window is active and has input focus at all (unlike `WM_KEYDOWN/UP`).

The sample above still lacks robust HID/USB device enumeration (no plaint-text device names) for UI purposes as RIDI_DEVICENAME contrary to it's name dumps device manager names like "\\?\HID#VID_0000&PID_0001#7&8bf8dff&0&0000#{884b96c3-56ef-11d1-bc8c-00a0c91405dd}".

cheers,
    </wqw>

Some barcode scanner wedges allow the addition of a pre-amble (and post-amble) into the data stream. The pre-amble might be useable as a flag of sorts to mark the origin of the data (ie which keyboard wedge sent the data). Check your documents for the scanner.
    Last edited by Bob_too; Oct 24th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    You can use `RegisterRawInputDevices` to listen for `WM_INPUT` messages, then access input data with `GetRawInputData` and filter on RIM_TYPEKEYBOARD + WM_KEYDOWN + HID device ID to differentiate b/n keyboard and barcode input.

Here is a working sample project: UsbBarcodeSanner.zip

Note that `WM_INPUT` messages are sent to the registered hWnd regardless if your app/window is active and has input focus at all (unlike `WM_KEYDOWN/UP`).

The sample above still lacks robust HID/USB device enumeration (no plaint-text device names) for UI purposes as RIDI_DEVICENAME contrary to it's name dumps device manager names like "\\?\HID#VID_0000&PID_0001#7&8bf8dff&0&0000#{884b96c3-56ef-11d1-bc8c-00a0c91405dd}".

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I think here is the solution. I'm working...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_too View Post
    Some barcode scanner wedges allow the addition of a pre-amble (and post-amble) into the data stream. The pre-amble might be useable as a flag of sorts to mark the origin of the data (ie which keyboard wedge sent the data). Check your documents for the scanner.
    I can add pre an post, but I don't want to write the characters in the focused Window.

https://github.com/wqweto/UsbBarcodeSanner/releases

Did some cleanup and merged better HID enumeration -- now w/ human readable device names in the selection combo box.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    https://github.com/wqweto/UsbBarcodeSanner/releases

Did some cleanup and merged better HID enumeration -- now w/ human readable device names in the selection combo box.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Thanks!

In the next release can you add some comments to the methods?

Quote Originally Posted by freaker View Post
    In the next release can you add some comments to the methods?
    Highly unlikely as most of the code is excessive API calls and I don't have the time to rehash MSDN documentation on these.

If you do find time to comment on any methods implementation I'll be glad to accept your pull requests.

cheers,
    </wqw>