Thread: Is it possible to make .res file for manifest + multiple alpha blended .ico

Lively Member

Is it possible to make .res file for manifest + multiple alpha blended .ico

Hi,
    After referring many pages through google, i think the answer to the question at title is yes. But those web pages are not completely describing how it is done. If it is possible may be advised how to do.
    Thanks.

PowerPoster

Re: Is it possible to make .res file for manifest + multiple alpha blended .ico

You'd probably want to use RC.EXE or a 3rd party resource compiler to create the .RES file. Then you can add that to your VB6 project.

And when you do, never edit the resource file with VB's resource editor. It can reject the icon and save any changes without it. There are examples in this forum of using the RC.exe tool. Search for: rc.exe script
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Thanks for the valuable information that It can be.
    For Application Icon i used to do as in this link

http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/VB...ly/article.asp

For Embedding Manifest i was doing as #16

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...Windows-Styles

But the Problem started. How to add two res file. It cant be. Ok. Solution is to add external manifets. Else may be solution creating a .res file for both manifest and .ico , May be -- manifets + more than 1 .ico so that other icons can be used in forms.

My problem is that what will be the text file which will be converted to .rc file look like. Any help in this regard if any one have.

PowerPoster

Manifests don't let you use multiple RES files.

You can read the documentation for RC.EXE, you probably need something like:

Code:
    #define CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID 1
    #define RT_MANIFEST                     24

CREATEPROCESS_MANIFEST_RESOURCE_ID RT_MANIFEST "Application.manifest"

PieChart ICON "PieChart.ico"

But the Problem started. How to add two res file. It cant be. Ok. Solution is to add external manifets. Else may be solution creating a .res file for both manifest and .ico , May be -- manifets + more than 1 .ico so that other icons can be used in forms.
    The rc.exe uses a script. The script identifies all the files that are to be added to a resource file. Just update the rc script as needed

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

My Bad luck. Same error as in the thread bellow

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...Manifest-issue

whats wrong i cant figure out. Any advice will be appreciated.

I replied to that other thread. Is the BOM the problem? See your other thread.