Thread: Permission denied

Permission denied

Hello,

In my visual basic program when I try to add component its give me the error of PERMISSION DENIED. I reinstall visual studio 6 multiple times but the error is still remain. Is anybody help me in this matter I will be very thankful to you.

Re: Permission denied

Soft

Short answer .. I don't know
    But, it might help if you post a screenshot.

Spoo

Plz find the attached image.

Thanks

Name:  permission denied.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  28.8 KB

PowerPoster

It sounds like a case of VB6 not being installed properly.

Part of that is ensuring that the IDE ALWAYS runs elevated.

Soft

Your image is a bit small, but is this the component you're trying to add?

Name:  soft1.png
Views: 986
Size:  17.8 KB

If so, dilettante may be onto it .. did you install SP6?

Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    Soft

Your image is a bit small, but is this the component you're trying to add?

Name:  soft1.png
Views: 986
Size:  17.8 KB

If so, dilettante may be onto it .. did you install SP6?

Spoo
    yes thats the component which I try to add even I tried other component on every try Its give me error.

No I didn't install sp6

Softhoney,

There are two separate licensings/registrations for these Microsoft OCX controls. There's one that is used for "installing" them for a VB6 program that may need them for execution. And then, there's an entirely separate one that's used for developing programs in the VB6 IDE. You can't just use RegSvr32 to register these OCX files to be used for VB6 IDE development. It just doesn't work that way.

The only (obvious) way I know to correctly register these controls for IDE development is to "install" the VB6 IDE. On Windows 10 (and even somewhat earlier versions of Windows) this can be a touch tricky, but I've written a tutorial that may help you. It can be found here.

There's also a little program named "VB6CLI.EXE" that used to be distributed by Microsoft. Basically, that program re-registers (for IDE development) the OCX files that came with the VB6 IDE. It was used to "fix" these OCX files when they got borked in some way. However, I do believe that that VB6CLI.EXE file is getting exceedingly difficult to find these days. I hope I don't make the moderators upset by saying this, but you might try some FTP searches to find it, if you decide to go that route.

Good Luck Getting It Sorted,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, all of this assumes you have a legally licensed copy of the VB6 IDE.
    Last edited by Elroy; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 03:29 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by softhoney View Post
    I reinstall visual studio 6 multiple times but the error is still remain
    Suggest re-installing one more time. This time, ensure you launch the setup.exe and any other exe during the installation with admin privileges. Always "As Administrator". After installation, always start VB6.exe "As Administrator".
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

There may be all kinds of junk in virtualized filesystem and registry locations at this point. No telling whether an uninstall would clean most of this up before trying an elevated install.