Thread: Compile Error: Expected End Sub

Question Compile Error: Expected End Sub

Hi there, this is my first post so apologies in advance for the n00b questions.

I have a client who is getting this error every time he gets a calendar invite. Im not too familiar with VBS so Im hoping somebody here can make light of this?

Thank you.

Name:  VBS.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  23.5 KB

Re: Compile Error: Expected End Sub

SM

You are missing a line of code

Code:
    Private Sub CalendarItems_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)
        .. code
        If .. Then
        .. code
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub CalendarItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object)

End Sub
    Spoo

Quote Originally Posted by SMunizCC View Post
    Hi there, this is my first post so apologies in advance for the n00b questions.

I have a client who is getting this error every time he gets a calendar invite. Im not too familiar with VBS so Im hoping somebody here can make light of this?

Thank you.

Name:  VBS.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  23.5 KB
    I don't see how a client can be getting that error...did it actually build with error? In other words you are saying that a client is running your program and getting that error when the error you are showing us would prevent the program from compiling\building. Therefore it seems impossible the client can be getting that error. It is a program development error.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Oct 19th, 2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I don't see how a client can be getting that error...did it actually build with error?
    I know what you mean, but OP might not .. maybe you could elaborate

Spoo

It looks like it is an Outlook VBA macro embeded in the CalInvite... or in something that's running on their machine. It's not compiled code. Probably should move this thread to the Office Dev section.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

OK...I stand corrected but:

How can anything run with a compiler error? Is it something that compiles at run-time like some of the the early third generation languages?

But it isn't running... it's throwing an error... VBA Macro code files aren't compiled until they are executed, so it's very easy to botch one up, save it and never know until it goes to be executed... the VBA interpreter loads it up, attempts to compile it to run it, and viola! an error happens...

That's what is happening here. He's got a botched piece of VBA code in an Outlook macro that runs when a calendar invite arrives. When one does, Outlook attempts to run the code, but can't because it's broken.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

"But it isn't running... it's throwing an error"

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    It looks like it is an Outlook VBA macro embeded in the CalInvite... or in something that's running on their machine. It's not compiled code. Probably should move this thread to the Office Dev section.

-tg
    Good call
    The MsgBox clearly (well, if you squint) is labelled Visual Basic for Applications

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    SM

You are missing a line of code

Code:
    Private Sub CalendarItems_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)
        .. code
        If .. Then
        .. code
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub CalendarItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object)

End Sub
    Spoo
    I would have said he had an extra line of code. Remove the "Private Sub CalendarItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object)" line.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    I would have said he had an extra line of code. Remove the "Private Sub CalendarItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object)" line.
    And the winner is .....

Quote Originally Posted by Spooman View Post
    And the winner is .....
    The one with the eagle eyes. I couldn't read a dang thing on that screenshot, not with high confidence anyway
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}