VB6 executables being deleted by Windows-VBForums

Thread: VB6 executables being deleted by Windows

VB6 executables being deleted by Windows

Just applied the latest updates to Windows 10 and now my VB6 created executables are being deleted for no reason. Every time I create the exe, it is immediately deleted. I disabled my anti-virus, so I now it's not that. It has to be Windows 10. Has anyone else run into this or know how to stop my exes from being deleted? TIA

Daryl

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 executables being deleted by Windows

I've just applied the latest patches to Windows 10 here and I see no such issue. We'd need more information.

Are you storing them someplace weird? For example in a protected location? Perhaps they are being moved to the VirtualStore?

Yeah, I also run the latest Windows 10 version, and haven't seen anything like that. To me, it sounds like some virus scanning software putting it into a quarantined area. Are you sure you've got all your virus protection turned off? Are you sure you're only running one virus protector?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I've just applied the latest patches to Windows 10 here and I see no such issue. We'd need more information.

Are you storing them someplace weird? For example in a protected location? Perhaps they are being moved to the VirtualStore?
    You may be on to something here. I am using OneDrive which is a virtual drive so it can be shared by multiple pcs. I tried creating the exe to a folder on the C: drive and so far it doesn't seem to be deleting it. So right now it looks like an issue with OneDrive. Thanks.

As I mentioned in another post, it appears to be related to OneDrive. Did some more testing and found that any VB6 exes that were there before today are still there. But when I create a new exe, then it is being immediately deleted. I am also only using 1 anti-virus (AVG) and have turned it off, and I have also put the folder into the exception list so I'm pretty sure it isn't my anti-virus.

It seems that you've found your problem. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft was doing some extra scanning on OneDrive files that's possibly completely out of your control. I know that Google does with their drive sharing.

Also, regarding AVG, I wouldn't touch their stuff with a 10-foot-pole. For years, they'd install their software without asking, which puts them more into the category of "virus" rather than "anti-virus". Also, their marketing is highly deceptive.

Personally, I've used nothing but Windows Defender for many years now, and am quite happy with it. Microsoft updates the libraries frequently, and I like the "scan this file" option. Also, it's easy to turn off, and nothing "tricky" seems to be going on with it (as opposed to AVG). But, to each their own.

Good Luck Getting It Sorted,
    Elroy

p.s. If you decide to uninstall AVG, I bet you play hell with it (which also makes it more of a virus than anti-virus).
    Last edited by Elroy; Oct 12th, 2017 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Elroy,

I've used the free version of AVG for several years now and haven't had any
    issues with it (other than getting a few notices suggesting to upgrade to the paid
    version. They haven't installed anything that I don't authorize so I am happy
    with them.

PowerPoster

I used to use AVG Free and I was perfectly happy with it for the most part. They did get a little aggressive about pushing extra features.

But lately I'm also living with Defender alone. So far so good.

Fanatic Member

I realize this may be off-topic, but like Elroy, I would also be wary of AVG. They have a long and questionable history with regard to security.

Some articles from the past few years, in case you haven't seen them:

Google slams AVG for exposing Chrome user data with “security” plugin
    AVG bug leaves Windows unbootable
    Privacy-violating, useless AVG antivirus app pulled from Windows Phone Marketplace

And a non-AVG-specific article probably worth a look, if you don't research security topics regularly:

It might be time to stop using antivirus

The last article in particular is well-sourced, and well worth a read IMO.
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

When you say that the exe is immediately deleted....how immediately? Do you see it, then it goes away, or do you never see it in the first place?

What I'm wondering is whether it is being deleted or blocked? Immediate is such an emphatic term.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    When you say that the exe is immediately deleted....how immediately? Do you see it, then it goes away, or do you never see it in the first place?

What I'm wondering is whether it is being deleted or blocked? Immediate is such an emphatic term.
    If I have Windows Explorer up next to VB, as soon as I make the executable it shows up for about 2 seconds and then it is gone. I would say that is pretty much immediate.

Fanatic Member

What happens if you rename a copy of the .exe file on the local hard drive to a .txt file, then copy it to OneDrive? Does it stay? If yes, what then happens if you rename the file on OneDrive back to a .exe file?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What happens if you rename a copy of the .exe file on the local hard drive to a .txt file, then copy it to OneDrive? Does it stay? If yes, what then happens if you rename the file on OneDrive back to a .exe file?
    If I rename the exe to txt, I can copy it to OneDrive and it will stay there. But as soon as I rename it back to exe it is deleted.

Fanatic Member

That would seem to indicate that OneDrive's AV is deleting it. It might be time to register an issue with Microsoft.

I contacted Microsoft support and explained the issue - we will see what they say.