Thread: Another school term?

Another school term?

Another school term must have started somewhere...

Two of the latest posts:

1. How to display total for a field in a report?

2. How to create a report which shows the records between two specific dates?

And posts about being nice to people that ask questions like that that spin into a few more posts addressing that same stuff again. There have been a number of those lately in the Forums (I started one here a few in chat weeks ago).

Also they are in the VB 6.0 forum. I wonder if there is still so much VB 6.0 out there they are still teaching it new? Like COBOL a few decades ago.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Re: Another school term?

It does sound like there are still some VB6 classes out there. Of course, we probably still have some schools teaching about WW II as current events.

I'm a bit surprised at how late in the year the questions are showing up. School usually begins either late August or early September, yet here we are with questions in mid October, as if they just got their first assignments. Maybe it always takes that long to get into more complicated stuff? I guess I wouldn't know.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

My guess is that the quarter is coming to an end and people are catching on about 1) how bad it (course and/or professor) is 2) it's not as easy as it looks in the movies 3) they shouldn't have slept in, or 4) it's just not clicking.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    My guess is that the quarter is coming to an end and people are catching on about 1) how bad it (course and/or professor) is 2) it's not as easy as it looks in the movies 3) they shouldn't have slept in, or 4) it's just not clicking.

-tg
    One OP was asking for help saying his project was due the next day and hadn't started yet.

Quarters....now THAT's an interesting concept. I went to a college with a trimester system. We were out of synch with EVERYBODY.

PowerPoster

Well back in the day we were on a quarter system. But the 1970s were a long time ago.

While this could be students at the secondary level I think it is far more likely to be the next tier of BRICS nation lowballers being trained for outsourcing.

VB6 has a poor reputation, deserved or not. I suspect over time more and more maintenance work is being delegated to the cheapest labor available. It probably includes a lot of VBA macros cobbled together over time as well, one of the legacy curses of MS Office use.

This is pretty short sighted, since if the systems weren't needed they'd just be retired. But no, turn them over to 6 week wonders and wait for things to fall apart.

It's like a Race To The Bottom where you have tied your owns shoes to each other.

Don't be such a codemudgeon.

(wanted to add a new word to the lexicon)

Or being such a sourcepuss
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Back in my mainframe days you were often told RTFM (Read The Friggen Manual). Particularly if you didn't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Back in my mainframe days you were often told RTFM (Read The Friggen Manual). Particularly if you didn't even try.
    The funny thing is, many who get told that now probably think that they're the victim of online bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    The funny thing is, many who get told that now probably think that they're the victim of online bullying.
    Back then Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet

PowerPoster

Welcome to Computer Programming, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average.

Sinecure devotee

Ah, Prairie Home Computing. I used to subscribe to that magazine back in the early 80s.

You don't want to know.

It's a time-honored tradition on forums. As far as I can gather Usenet had some kind of phrase for this season.

I'm about to shift gears and change how I handle it. When I "get offended" I'm going to break my own rules and answer the question with an answer that I believe will get them full credit if copy-pasted. The only way you can stop me is to stop replying if you're angry.

When a thread has 0 posts, it disappears. The OP can sort of try to bump it, but if I was unlikely to answer a question before I'm super less likely to answer it after a bump. When the thread has a 5-or-6 node squabble about RTFM or whatever it floats to the top and stays there, helping drown out topics that are more fun.

But I just realized exactly how I can spend less time on these topics and maximize my hedon production.

Usually the question requires 10 minutes of coding effort on my end, half an hour if I make a tutorial. It takes about 5-10 minutes to provide a gentle nudge, and not even a minute to ignore the question. But damn, I tend to spend an hour trying to find the right tone for "that was a jerk move, stop being a jerk". So if I want to get the most bang for my buck I just suddenly realized the best possible answer.

Here is my threat:

I am going to start answering these questions with copypasta full-credit class-appropriate answers if I think the discourse in the thread's veering towards "me being offended and I need to toughen up". They'll learn a valuable lesson from it: you can either make a valid effort towards asking a question, or take a shortcut and get a free answer if the grouchy VBForums guy yells at you for not trying hard enough. Half the time someone beats me to posting the dang answer anyway.

There's only one way to stop me, and I have no shortage of evidence you cannot restrain yourself.

(Well, there's two ways. I win either way.)
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    you were often told RTFM (Read The Friggen Manual).
    What manual? I haven't seen a proper manual for many a year! Are they making a welcome comeback?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

It's more like RTFD (read the flipping documentation) these days... medium agnostoc.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *