Thread: [RESOLVED] Run-time error '372 - MSCOMCTL.OCX in Windows 7

Addicted Member

[RESOLVED] Run-time error '372 - MSCOMCTL.OCX in Windows 7

I now have the same problem, but the iconsize can't be the problem, what is different from before is that I now use 32bit icons instead of everything in 8bit. But it works on my machine (but it's a completely updated machine).
    I have downloaded the latest VB6 SP6 security roll up and redistributed the OCX, but at this moment it doesn't seem to fix it.
    Also the fix with msdatsrc.tlb did not work.
    But the customer was using autoupdate for windows (same version as I'm running W7 SP1 x64), but when we were opening windows update manually it had a big red cross and was complaining it couldn't update to windows 10, the last succesfull update was 16-april-2016 (and it is 06-october-2017 at the moment of writing).. Some other files like oleaut32.dll/olepro32.dll were older versions as we have.
    So now he's updating his machine, and hopefully that fixes it, otherwise I have no idea, other than needing to do a recompile with the icons downgraded to 8bit, because that's the only difference compared to other screens also using an imagelist..
    Last resort would be to just ditch the OCX and use the code-version which is developed and available through this forum.
    Last edited by SuperDre; Oct 6th, 2017 at 02:46 PM.

PowerPoster

Re: Run-time error '372 - MSCOMCTL.OCX in Windows 7

I cringe to think of the damage done by the "security rollup." This was released over and over and over again but it always had many "off by one" programming bugs in it. Worse yet it cannot be uninstalled.

It is just one of those things VB6 programmers need to be aware of, and avoid like the plague. The "security problems" it was meant to address only mattered when hosting the controls in an IE web page anyway.

I'm not sure why you are digging around in the plumbing (oleaut32.dll/olepro32.dll). Just leave those alone. They are part of Windows and have been for a very long time, and are managed by Windows Update. See:

Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0 on Windows

If you are having problems using 32-bit depth icons that's an entirely unrelated matter. As far as I can tell the VB6 IDE's Resource Editor add-in cannot handle them properly so you have to use RC.EXE to compile an .RC file to a .RES file.

This certainly does SEEM like a similar problem to the last, but since the solution in that thread didn't work, I think you'll get better results having this be it's own thread. Therefore, I split it out. For reference, the other thread is here, and has several suggestions from Dilettante, who also suggested that this question was worthy of it's own thread:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...77#post5222077
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I'm not sure why you are digging around in the plumbing (oleaut32.dll/olepro32.dll). Just leave those alone. They are part of Windows and have been for a very long time, and are managed by Windows Update.

If you are having problems using 32-bit depth icons that's an entirely unrelated matter. As far as I can tell the VB6 IDE's Resource Editor add-in cannot handle them properly so you have to use RC.EXE to compile an .RC file to a .RES file.
    I'm certainly not going to meddle with the oleaut32 and related dll's exactly because of the reasons you state, but different versions can be a problem..
    I don't have any problems with using 32-bit icons in my imagelist added through the properties of the imagelist, it works on my computer (which is a completely updated Windows 7 x64), and also on all our other computers in our company (which all run windows 10).

I got a response from the customer, updating his windows 7 to the latest version through windows update fixed the problem (as I mentioned his windows wasn't updated for about 1.5 years as he thought it was auto-updating itself, but it had an error during updating).

(Now I just hope the same goes for the other customers which also had the same problem, but I don't know which windows they are running, at least one I know was running windows 8.1, but we'll see).

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Run-time error '372 - MSCOMCTL.OCX in Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDre View Post
    I now have the same problem...
    Is this the error 372 "Failed to load control" error?

If so it might have something to do with the typelib versioning issue. Maybe look at this thread:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...be-loaded-quot