I wrote a program in VB6 years ago that would load the contents of a web page, and send me a text message if there were any changes to the page. It has been running flawlessly on an old XP laptop for over 10 years, until recently. I am using the Inet control, like this:

Inet.AccessType = icDirect
rtxtSource.Text = Inet.OpenURL(Url)

I don't know what has changed, but all of a sudden Inet is not returning a string, the contents are nul.

So, I tried running the program on my Windows 7 machine to see what would happen, and the program works, but with one big difference. On my XP machine, when it was working and I saved the contents to a file, the file size was always 64k:

temppage.txt 7/18/2009 Text Document 64KB

Now it is:

temppage.txt 10/6/2017 Text Document 0KB

But, on the Windows 7 machine it is always:

temppage.txt 10/6/2017 Text Document 14KB

Before, the 64KB file on the XP machine represented a slightly truncated web page, but it contained all the information I needed. On the Windows 7 machine, the program is only returning 14KB of data, which is not enough information. Can anyone help with this please, and tell me: a)why did Inet suddenly stop working on my XP machine?, and b)why do I only get 14KB of data on my Windows 7 machine?

Ideally I would like to be able to get this working on Windows 7 so that I can retire the old XP laptop, but if not and I can get it working again on XP, that would be great too. I should add that I also transferred the program to another old XP machine, and I get the same results on that one.

I am a novice programmer, and only ever learned enough to be dangerous. Thanks in advance for any help.