Thread: Clickonce Signing

Hybrid View

Clickonce Signing

To sign or not to sign... At this point I am wondering why did I sign sign apps that I develop for internal use only. I am seriously considering removing it because of the confusion over expired certificates. Test certificates are only good for a year (why?).

If I do remove it I know that the app has to be reinstalled, but that is the only drawback I have seen so far.

Just seeking some thoughts or experiences.
    Last edited by dbasnett; Oct 6th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Re: Clickonce Signing

Yeah, why DID you sign internal apps?

I signed an app that is mostly used for internal use, but it is published (just internal and to a few cooperators) and has periodic updates. I'm not sure that you can do that without signing. The certificates are a pain anyways. If you are trying to be cheap, there is some means to sign it for longer than a year without buying a certificate, because I have....I think, but no matter what you do, you will forget how to do it by the next time it becomes an issue. I keep a file around with steps. Unfortunately, that file wasn't started early enough, so I'm not quite sure where I got the certificate from, or how I made it. I think I DID make it, cause I vaguely remember going through a whole bunch of steps to make a 10 year certificate, but I just don't quite remember, and the notes I took don't start early enough.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing